Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me find an "In"
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jun 2006, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help me find an "In"

When I started the hobby two years ago, I did so with a good friend of mine who gamed much earlier than I but let his army fall by the wayside. Eventually he left the collaborating on our Tau army, and I became sole owner of his ancient Space Marines. Originally painted as Ultramarines, then hastily redecked as Black Templars, I've got back and revamped a few of the old blue and yellow buddies mostly for fun. Now that I'm reaching 2k points of Tau, I'm looking into other armies, but I've got a few dozen little armoured men already.
My question to all of you is, what can I use as my 'in' to getting enthused about playing Space Marines? They've never appealed to me as a concept, and I when I flip through the new codex at the battlebunker I find it a bit overwhelming. I don't want an army of automaton smurfs, if I wanted mindless metal men I'd play my girlfriends' Necrons, so what can I do to like my default new army? How should I play and rebuild them? Lost and the Damned?; Spiritual warrior-monks?; Relictors?; Maybe convert them to Chaos, which would just respawn this question in another forum?

Thanks all knowledgable servants of the Emperor.
Old 18 Jun 2006, 21:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Help me find an "In"

look at different chapters, read fluff and look at concept art. just flip through anything marine related, flip through obscure history books and jsut find something that makes you say: That is awesome. i can't tell you what will make you like your army, thats a very personal decision. All i can tell you is you will enjoy your army the most if you find something you like or admire. absolutly anything that you think is cool can be worked into an army. once you've found something, start converting. come up with ideas and paint schemes. make up fluff, write special rules and create planets. create characters and battles, just do anything to expand what you find cool about your army. dont even bother thinking about how well they will perform on the battlefield, just get what you find awesome. and if you can't find anything interesting just sell your models on ebay and look for another army which you like more.

Old 18 Jun 2006, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd add my two cents but Elessar just said it all perfectly.

Marines represent something malleable and diverse with unlimited potential. Make something breathtaking.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Could you lads (and maybe some others) give examples of what appealed to you when you reached for that tac squad box? Part of my roadblock I feel is a complete loss of where to begin my search for army purpose. Most of the afternoon's reading has nudged me ever so close to considering Relictors as my base, but I'm still horribly undecided.
The benefits of having many many dollars invested in the plastic already is keeping me grounding in a Space Marine or SM-like army, but the e-bay suggestion was a good one Elessar.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Relictors are a very cool concept... just a pitty that their colours are so bland.

However I recently started Mortifactors, inspired by the army that appeared in WD318? And the new Terminator Models.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's kind of hard to help someone become enthusiastic about an army that they don't like. is your problem with specific chapters or with marines in general?

space marines aren't mindless drones (except for post-heresy Thousand Sons), and can have as much character as you want them to have.

reading fluff and novels is always a good way to get more enthusiastic about an army.

for a little more advice that might help, try my (still WIP) guide:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1057954572

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor Adele
Could you lads (and maybe some others) give examples of what appealed to you when you reached for that tac squad box?
I fell back in love with Marines when a Games Workshop rep. came into my store and gave me a spare Imperial Fist tac squad to use in intro games (he's put together and entire chapter...so one tac squad was nothing). I've always liked Space Marines because, for me, they represent stalwart knights...the elite soldiers of the Imperium. Their descipline is legendary and their professionalism unquestionable. Plus they've got that whole 'storm trooper' thing going on. Every power armoured Marine is a stoney icon of cold malice and unwavering dedication to duty. All this and yet I think what ultimately hooked me as I held those Imperial Fists in my hands was the blazing colour scheme. How else might you field an army of seven foot supermen, clad in massive suits of bright yellow armour?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 00:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Play Deamonhunters and/or Witch Hunters. Then you can just use a few squads of them, and you're whole army won't be "automaton smurfs".
Old 20 Jun 2006, 22:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

read some of the books, space wolves are fun to play and so are blood angels, you want an army you can do something with--green stuff, conversions etc.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 14:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Or you could look into other things outside Games Workshop, mix them up with Games Workshop ideas and pinch bits that you like from other armies. Then make your own chapter using the traits rules!
I decided I wanted a mobile army, with tactical squads in Rhinos, so I pinched a few bits of White Scars background. To put across the reason for Rhinos over chariots, I decided that the people on the homeworld would be mainly nomadic, living off their chariots. I wanted to have a fairly primitive cultural background, but with some elements of technology creeping in. This lead me to the conclusion that they make use of black powder weapons, and a few 'magical' technologies gifted from the marines.

I then looked at the Gods and beliefs of the chapter. to fit in with the primitive homeworld, and the mobile nature of the army, I chose Gods of Storm and Lightening, named Kerl and Orthesis. Of course the God-Emperor rules over these! I decided that at some point I want to build the whole chapter (probably not going to happen!) and so included a chaos attack devastating the planet and chapter, leaving the majority of the populace heavily mutated, and reducing the increase of additional marines. I then went into the combat doctrine and all the other bits and pieces that make up a chapter approved article. After getting this broad streak of the chapter, I went into more detail, changing some of the background as new ideas sparked from these additional elements. I still haven't quite fineshed yet, but it's nearly done. (I could probably do with writing something down!) While doing this I was considering which traits are cool/fluffy, and represent the background. I wanted a significantly divergent chapter, and chose traits accordingly.

As the chapter is an extremely mobile one, they tend to take more assault weapons over heavy, so cleanse and purify went in. I also took TYBB as it is a fairly good option for a mobile army, and came up with a reason for having it. I then went for the two disadvantages that represent loss of technology (can't remember the names, but 1 less elite etc and limited dreads and termies). This has the added effect of making sure i don't get too much shiny wargear!

To simplify my previous ramblings, have a look through the traits, and see which ones look cool, and fit with your play style. Then have a look around at novels, fiction history and other chapters. Nick everything you like the look of, and stick it together, making sure you leave some stuff open to explore in games, or just for a bit of intrigue. (I went with fighting spacewolves... more may come out later!) Take a look at who you will be fighting most often, stick them in as major enemies (In my example space wolves and chaos). Take a look through everything you've got together, and stick it into a sensable order, and there you have it, chapter background! The name, symbols and colour scheme can come from this. alternatively, names colours or symbols may inspire your background. Keep an open mind, and keep fiddling till you get it just right!

Hopefully there's something of use in there somewhere!

If you want, PM me, and I'll give you some ideas on my chapter. (Please do! It'll give me an excuse to write it down!) It may take a few days to get to you, but I'll do my best.

EDIT: Ahem... sorry about the awful spelling... And thankyou to Tom for picking me up on it! :-[
Closed Thread