Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hmmmm. Time for a mini-army. Marines perhaps?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jun 2006, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Hmmmm. Time for a mini-army. Marines perhaps?

I have grown bored with painting Tau, and it is time to decide on what race to set up a 1000 pt list of.
I was torn between:

Eldar, Imperial Guard, and Space Marines - Blood Angles or Space Wolves, or Vanilla.

Can you help me to decide?

Ps:
Congrats Stam. You deserve it.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Hmmmm. Time for a mini-army. Marines perhaps?

Thanks for the congrats,

You have finally realised that you shouldn't spend your precious time on those foolish Xenos. :P

What kind of army are you looking for?
Shooty? Assaulty? Or is it just that you want to paint some different models?

Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Looking at your choices:

Eldar - Would make an interesting "background" army. Relatively low model count and a break from painting Tau. However it would be best to wait a couple of months if you decide on this, until the new codex comes out.

Imperial Guard - Not so suitable as a secondary army in my opinion - Guard requires a fair amout of commitment and dedication to collect and play. Ideally not something to go for if you just want a break from your main army. (Usually) High model count means that you may also get bored of painting guardsmen.

Space Marines - Probably the best choice (this is the Marine board, what did you expect? ). Low model count, easy to paint, although you can go really detailed if you want. A nice contast to Tau both in modelling and gameplay.
  • Blood Angels - If you want up close and personal blood-rage butchery, these guys are for you. You'll have access to an insanely powerful (but randomly determined) Death Company, and also some nifty things such as Baal class predator (assault cannons!) and furioso dreadnaughts.
  • Space Wolves - More controlled close combat monsters than the Blood Angels, and have access to nasty Venerable dreadnaughts and Long Fang squads. Personally, I don't particularly like these guys, but if you like werewolves in power armour, go for it.
  • Vanilla - Probably the best choice, the traits in the Space Marine codex offer lots of possibilities for customisation. So whatever fits your style really.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I want a wholly differnt race than the Tau.

So i will be using Marines as my mini army.

I want an assaulty force, that I can paint in non Camo (Camo is a paint in the ass, espicaillay after 72 Camed Fire warriors...)

I think I might go with Vanilla, but kit bash with all the chapters?

Or just blood angles?
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Kit bash? What do you mean? Pinch whatever you like the look of from all over the place? That might be frowned upon. Everyone wants Long Fangs and Space Wolf Scouts, but if you want assault cannon toting predators and lightning fast rhinos too then you're out of luck. You can't have all the unique chapter-specific units out there, every chapter has it's advantages and twists but some are better than others. Blood Angels have much that makes them deeply unfair, more so than the Space Wolves in my opinion, but I guess it depends upon your play style.

If you want something assaulty then I'm assuming you want to get as far away from the Tau's particular brand of warfare as possible. Blood Angels very much focus on getting toe-to-toe with the enemy as fast as possible. They have rather a tendancy to go completely off the rails from time to time and run headlong at the enemy even when you don't want them to. They're extraordinarily savage, I think they might be just what you're looking for. Apparently red it hard to paint though...I dunno about this, I only play Imperial Fists, so yellow is my challenge of choice. But that's what I hear.

Space Wolves on the other hand are Savage in a different way. They have the whole predatory instinct thing going for them. It's aggression tempered with a cold, calculating animal cunning. And if you decided you want untamed, wild fury then you can always look to the blood claws and thirteenth company. Space Wolves are the master tactician's choice. The Long Fangs are capable of splitting their fire between two targets simultaneously (making them move versatile than vanilla Devastators) and Space Wolf scouts can pop out behind enemy lines to lay waste to artillery and other soft support units. They're expensive though. I gather Space Wolves aren't too difficult to paint either.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
I want an assaulty force, that I can paint in non Camo (Camo is a paint in the D'yi, espicaillay after 72 Camed Fire warriors...)

I think I might go with Vanilla, but kit bash with all the chapters?

Or just blood angles?
With Blood Angels you have a very nasty, but sometimes quite random assault based army. Every single model gets the "Furious Assault" skill for free. However, they must also test at the start of every turn to see if they move d6'' towards the nearest enemy. This can be a blessing at times, but a curse at others, and makes static shooting squads quite unreliable. The Death Company is also randomly generated at the start of each game (you basically roll for each squad to see if one model joins the death company). This means that sometimes you will have a huge Death Company, at other times it will be tiny - and losing a Terminator model from that already small squad can be quite annoying and frustrating. Blood Angels can also have very fast assault vehicles, with the Turbo-charged engine, meaning vehicles can move an extra 6''. This makes Rhino assaults all the more potent. They have access to close-range Baal-class predators, with Assault cannon and heavy flamer goodness.

How assaulty you go with vanilla is entirely up to you, and what traits you go for. There are plenty of traits that let you take furious assault, swap out bolters for bolt pistols and close combat weapons, take true grit, or infiltrate. You also have access to drop pods, and the powerful new chaplain. Whatever you take from here will most likely be less devastating than Blood Angels, but also more controllable and reliable. If you want to go for a middle ground, then Space Wolves are probably the way to go.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also, they be able to opperate well in VERY tight terrain (Jungle)
And I have My Tau done, and started my Deathword Veterans.
But I need a break from Camo.

So the Blood Angles are the best choice then, flamers and lots of other goodies
But The Space Wolves are pretty nice looking.

Which one is the less used, as I want to semi original.

Mothman
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wow...good question. I don't think either is used a lot more than the other. The real point is not what other people think of you for collecting them or even whether or not they're effective on the tabletop. The most important factor to consider when you want to choose an army is whether or not you like it's background and general 'feel'. Could you fall in love with a Space Wolves army? Sorry, that sounded really wrong...it'd be rough love for sure. I mean, could you associate with one chapter or another? I suggest you read up on chapter fluff and decide which one you like the sound of most.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 23:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I would personally say White Scars, just because noone outside Paul Sawyer plays them [virtually].

But... Blood Angels provide a good oppurtunity for bright contrasting colours, lots of Jump-packs, great tanks and Dreds, and most of all, great special rules. On top of that, they have a lot of special characters [Corbulo, Dante, Mephiston, etc.].

I would say Blood Angels. A complete oppisite of Tau, thats for sure!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 12 Jun 2006, 23:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Imperial Guard rock my socks! but that's just my opinion. i would suggest going for marines, since they're jack of all trades and easy to collect. they give you a nice break from your army wihtout asking you to spend hal your money, sweat and time on them.

Closed Thread