Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Angels
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jun 2006, 02:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Blood Angels

Blood Angels Rock!! real hard

And I need a lil bit of help tryin to make a good list of about 1000 points or so

[Edit: No need to double post, read the forum rules. Stam]
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Blood Angels

Careful, bud. Read the forum rules; double-posting is not appreciated, it makes people want to hit you with rocks.

As for a Blood Angels army, I'm not really your man, but I gather a large jump pack equipped death company is both points efficient and dangerous on the battlefield.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 13:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You need to tell us a bit more about what you want to have in your Blood Angels army.
What models do you have? Do you want an army that is focused on shooting or assaulting?
Or do you want to have a mix of both?

You really need to tell us a bit more if you want us to help you.

Why don't you make an army list?

[Edited your double posting, next time follow the forum rules]
Old 13 Jun 2006, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well......I need a 500 1,000 and a 1,500 point list.....and one Special Character is allowed. Here is what i have, and I will accept any critique given.

HQ:

Chaplain 251 points
(Reclusiarch)
Bolt Pistol
Jump Pack
Artificer Armour
Terminator Honours

w/ Death Company
Jump Pack

Troop:

Tactical Squad x 6 131 points
Flamer
Veteran Sargeant
Bolt Pistol and CC Weapon
Purity Seals

Tactical Squad x 6 115 Points
Plasma Gun
Sargeant

Total: 497 Points

HQ:

Chaplain 266 Points
(Master of Sanctity)
Bolt Pistol
Artificer Armor
Jump Pack
Terminator Honours
Death Mask

w/ Death Company
Jump Pack

Troops:

Tactical Squad x 9 160 Points
Plasma Gun
Sargeant

Tactical Squad x 9 156 Points
Flamer
Sargeant

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad x 6 214 Points
x2 Plasma Pistol and CC Weapon
Veteran Sargeant
Plasma Pistol and Power Weapon
Master Crafted Weapon

Assault Squad x 5 192 Points
Veteran Sargeant
Master Crafted Weapon

HQ:

Chaplain Lemartes 249 Points
Default Wargear
Jump Pack

w/ Death Company
Jump Pack

Epistolary Librarian 235 Points
Fear of Darkness
Might of Heroes
Artificer Armor
Terminator Honours
Master Crafted Weapon
Admantium Mantle

Troops:

Tactical Squad x 6 120 Points
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Sargeant

Tactical Squad x 5 105 Points
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Sargeant

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad x 6 214 Points
Veteran Sargeant
Master Crafted Weapon

Assault Squad x 5 192 Points
Veteran Sargeant
Master Crafted Weapon

Heavy:

Devastator Squad x 4 185 Points
x2 Missile Launcher
Lascannon
Plasma Cannon

Sargeant

Dreadnaught 140 Points
Twin Linked Lascannon
CC Weapon w/ Heavy Flamer
Extra Armour

Predator Annihilator 145 Points
Sponson Lascannons

That is it, so if anyone who is good with Blood Angels would take a look and critique my lists I would be very appreciative.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

[size=16pt]500 points[/size]

Well first off I think you may have miscounted the points for your Chaplain; I think he's supposed to be 236 points. Perhaps you counted the jump pack twice (you listed it twice)? Also, the Blood Angels don't have the option to choose between Reclusiarchs and Masters of Sanctity (that's a vanilla Space Marine thing), the Blood Angels only have a 'Chaplain' so I'm not sure why you've specified that he's a Reclusiarch.

In your first troop choice I would either reduce the Sergeant back down to normal Marine-hood or drop a marine from the squad to give him a powerfist. Veteran status/Terminator honours are wasted on a Sergeant if you don't take the opportunity to take worthwhile kit from the armoury. Personally I would never take a veteran sergeant in a squad less than 10 men (especially when those six may be further reduced by the black rage).

Perhaps drop the purity seals from first tactical and a heavy bolter to second tactical? 500 point games are fairly infantry intensive affairs.

[size=16pt]1000 points[/size]

Your HQ choice suffers from the same errors as your 500 point army chaplain (no reclusiarch/master of sanctity, only 'Chaplain&#39 and he costs 20 points more than he should (he should cost 246 points).

Nothing wrong with first and second tactical...but have you considered dropping a couple marines from each and drop podding them in? If you do that though, I recommend swapping out the plasma gun for a melta gun.

You first assault squad is 10 points more than it should be (it should be 204, not 214). I would also rethink veteran status for your sergeant, you're paying an additional 40 points to have another plasma shot and a power weapon with an additional attack in a squad that will likely get gunned down and/or flee before it can make a difference.

Your second assault squad should probably be merged with your first, giving you a more resilient squad and 65 surplus points to spend elsewhere. Also, you should consider flamers instead of plasma guns, they're excellant for thinning troops before a charge (which in turn helps ensure a massacre before they can hit back, especially with a 10-man squad). You can still handle vehicles if you spend 20 of those extra 65 points on melta bombs for everyone.

[size=16pt]1500 points[/size]

Chaplain Lemartes only costs 234 points. Either your maths sucks, your calculator's broken or you're adding points for some chapter-wide special ability that you've not listed.

Again, with your second HQ choice, Blood Angels only have a 'Librarian'; not a Codicier or an Epistolary. This is no doubt due to the release of new rules, making much of the existing Blood Angels codex obsolete. Are we to assume you're deriving the costs and rules for you Chaplains and Librarians by splicing unit entries from Codex: Blood Angels and Codex: Space Marines? If this guy is taken straight from Codex: Space Marines, he's 5 points too expensive. Personally I'd never take a single character for this kind of cost; I just don't think he can earn it back. But then again, people do so love their Librarians, so I must be missing something.

My only concern with your two tactical squads is that they're too small. In a 1500 point army, you want to aim to have three ten man tactical squads. You do seem to be min/maxing a bit here. I think maybe you should consider dropping either your Devastator squad or your Dreadnought; you don't need that much AT power!

As for your fast attack, see above (1000 point army).

Your Devastator squad is confused...I think they were each given a a wad of cash and told to go buy a big gun. They didn't communicate with one another (maybe the Sergeant was out on the lashat the time) and so they each bought whatever they fancied. They don't know what they want to be; your Lascannon has but one purpose (kills tanks); your missile launchers are the jack of all trades (but master of none) while your Plasma cannon is just simply a bad choice (it's only good for blowing up tightly packed, heavily armoured troops and has a tendancy to overheat, with only the Sergeant to soak up the wound...you can't afford this). Devastator squads are offensively overpriced. Decide what you want it to be; either anti-tank, thus negating the need for one of the other primary AT units in your army, or anti-infantry...in which case you'll want mostly heavy bolters and possibly a Plasma Cannon or Missile launcher. If you don't give the squad one specific purpose, it is better that you bin it altogether (only Long Fangs can shoot at two things at once). I would also give the Sergeant a Boltgun instead of a bolt pistol and close combat weapon because your Devastators should ideally be positioned with a comfortable stand-off range (more than 12 inches). Finally, this Devastator squad should cost 210 points, not 185!

Your Dreadnought is also eqipped for conflicting purposes, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. With that lascannon it can destroy armour on it's way in and then cause mayhem in close quarters. You may alternatively consider swapping out the Lascannon for an assault cannon and a drop pod. You'll need to find an additional 10 points to do this, but with your maths skills I think you'll probably find that lying around here some place. You could instead drop pod a Furioso Dreadnought for 125 points.

Finally, I have no problem whatsover with your Predator. It's a good solid choice.

Overall I'd say this list is fairly well balanced but perhaps with a little too much AT firepower. I recommend you drop the Devastator squad and use the points to bulk out your existing troop choices (maybe give them Rhinos).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 21:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the input, as for my math I used the Army Builder Program. As for my labeling of the Chaplain as R or MoS in the Blood Angels FAQ its says to use the Codex: Space Marine profiles for the HQ's. So either way one of us are right but im hopin its me.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 22:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain_Carl
Thanks for the input, as for my math I used the Army Builder Program.
It lies to you. It tells dirty horrible lies.

Quote:
As for my labeling of the Chaplain as R or MoS in the Blood Angels FAQ its says to use the Codex: Space Marine profiles for the HQ's. So either way one of us are right but im hopin its me.
I think that just pertains to rules such as 'Litanies of Hate' and 'Honour of the Chapter' which aren't described in the Blood Angels codex. The Master of Sanctity and Reclusiarchs have different points costs, so how do you rationalise how much you charge yourself for the Chaplain of your choice? If you took the points cost Straight from Codex: Space Marines then you'd be getting a Death Company for free! If you used the points cost listed in Codex: Blood Angels then you might as well have two Masters of Sanctity because there's only one points cost to choose from! If you want to splice the two though and produce a logical figure then that makes sense to me.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 01:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

For the Chaplain (exact words):

Ignore profiles for the Blood Angel Chaplain, instead use the Codex: Space Marines with the following differences.

Blood Angel Chaplains cost an additional 110 points beyond the Codex: Space Marines profile cost. They may not join or lead Command Squads. Instead, D3 +3 Death Company Space Marines always accompany Blood Angels Chaplains.

So therefore I am right.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 12:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
For the Chaplain (exact words):
Sorry bud, you've lost me. 'Exact words?' This is a quote from somewhere? Can you explain what you mean because I'm not following you.

Now perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here, but Blood Angel Chaplains don't cost an additional 110 points beyond the Codex: Space Marines profile cost. Take a look.

Codex: Space Marines Reclusiarch - 85 pts
Codex: Blood Angels Chaplain - 180 pts

There's a difference of 95 points here, not 110, so perhaps if you consider splicing the prices as follows:

Codex: Blood Angels Master of Sanctity - 195 pts
Codex: Blood Angels Reclusiarch - 180 pts

As for command squads, the Blood Angels codex says Chaplains can take an honour guard instead of the Death Company. So tell me, where are you getting all this stuff? Chapter approved? If so, then crack on; Games Workshop have provided us with an official answer. If not then your maths is faulty in this case and you should revise their costs.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 22:54   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Read the Blood Angels FAQ's and it will explain everything that I'm talking about.......hopefully you will become unconfused and learn
Closed Thread