Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The capabilities of Terminators
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2006, 22:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The capabilities of Terminators

Hello.

Not new to 40K, but have an army of Tau and a group of Eldar... was looking into starting a small SM force entirely of terminators.

Question is, is this possible? I also wanted to know if Terminators (close combat) ones are what I beleive them to be- walking tanks with incredible saves and cause pain when they arrive.

Don't care about model quantity (the smaller, the better), was just wondering if Terminators could fill the 'niche' for a playstile I want to exhibit.

Thanks in advance marines.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak
Default Re: The capabilities of Terminators

Well, sounds like you want deathwing (only all-termie army)! They are what you want, but you have to get some skill with them; in deathwing, you have so few troops that comitting your troops to the wrong places or putting them into to too much fire can be devistating. Good luck!

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 08 Jun 2006, 23:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

if you play a deathwing army (either the deathwing, a successor chapter, or a counts as chapter) then you basically play an all terminator army.

assault based terminators are really good when they get into close combat, the problem is that even with the great regular save, decent stats and an invulnerable save they have a hard time getting across the board. thats why most players that use them give them a landraider crusader for transporting them. however do keep in mind that the crusader is a heavy choice and in a deathwing style army you are only allowed one.

as far as playstyle and quantity, well you don't get a lot of models in your army, on average my deathwing only takes about 30 models in a 2000 pt game (but thats with the land raider crusader and 2 dreadnoughts). also most deathwing commanders also go with a more shooty approach to their army, if you want hth nightmares then you might want to look at a different army.

all told though, the deathwing (or again successors or "counts as") armies are a lot of fun, somewhat challenging, and a very flavorful army to play.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 00:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

What you think terminators are is a myth, they can be beaten and easily I might add. Terminators are far from indestructible, in fact, I have rolled more ones when trying to armor save my GK terminators than all other rolls combined. They are tough and good at fighting (close combat or otherwise), but they are expensive, and as Howloutloud mentioned earlier, Deathwing has a limited army size and to get a decent amount of them allows your opponent to get a lot of AP 2 weapons with which to kill your precious terminators. If you want close combat machines, start a Space Wolf bloodclaw army.

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 09 Jun 2006, 00:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

There is no way to trick out the Terminators to make them even more dangerous than before?

I play Tau- and despite our 'new toys' the only things we can upgrade are the crisis suits- and even then there is no 'definiative version' that everyone fears. This, of course, refers to the Genestealers and such, which CAN be given frightening upgrades, much to my dismay (Worst enemy is still a particular genestealer army).

I had thought that, though I have a limited number of Terminators in small groups, they could be equipped in such a way that gives them better saves and better abilities in close combat. After all, many battles I've played are subjec to 'space marine magic'- rules a SM player will use to tip the odds in his favor that I've never even heard of, and he never bothers to explain.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 01:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Make him take out his Codex - there are alot of Marine special rules, but that doesn't mean you might not have gotten the wool pulled over your eyes.

Terminators arn't as upgradable as Crisis suits: You either take an Assault Terminator squad with a mix of Lighting Claws and Thunder Hammers, or a Terminator 'classic' squad, with Stormbolters and Power Fists... that, and Assault Cannons.

Quote:
that gives them better saves and better abilities in close combat.
"Better Saves"? "Better abilities in Close Combat"? You're insane - they already have Powerfists or similarly deadly weapons, multiple attacks, and 2+/5+ saving throws :sadnshocked:.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 03:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey- what do I know?

I've only fought against terminators, not with them, and never directly- always in megabattles.

This particular space marine opponent I am speaking of is known for doing this, anyway. Ah well, I got him back by killing his T-hawk and Titan with one Broadside apeice...

I just held the impression Terminators were dangerous in CC- reading up elsewhere seems to make them as one of the best CC units anywhere (Assault Terminators, that is). I don't mind having a small army, but I'd like to have them heavy-hitting and tough to destroy. Outside of an armored company list, running Terminators seems to be the next best thing.

Because I like powered armor with hammers killing things. Terminators (With sisters help?) seems like the niche I want to sit in on some days.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Even normal, minimized termie squads can get 16 powerfist attacks in on a charge, and 4 power weapon attacks. It's like getting hit by a mack truck. And that's after getting to unload their weapons in the shooting phase. Termies definitely hit hard, (assault termies less so, as everyone instinctively knows to not get into CC with them), but like everyone else pointed out, the lack of numbers really hurts their combat ability.

All in all termie armies aren't that bad, but they do take more skill than a lot of other armies, because just the sheer number of bullets they get hit with will bury them even if nothing manages to penetrate. :P
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 11:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

assault termies are simply gods of combat there is almost no models that can match an assault termie in close combat, put them in the way of too much fire and they can fall like bricks but keep them covered and get them into combat and they will quite litterally hammer their foes into the ground

the time for tau is now
Old 09 Jun 2006, 13:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Commander Archive
Even normal, minimized termie squads can get 16 powerfist attacks in on a charge, and 4 power weapon attacks.
Actually, no. Remember that Terminators do not get +1 attack for having two single-handed weapons, because they do not have two single-handed weapons. Storm Bolter counts as two-handed, even on Terminators (unless I'm missing somewhere where it says otherwise). A charging Terminator (unless with 2x lightning claws) will only get 3 attacks.

Like Land Raiders, Terminators are big, scary, expensive, and not as amazing as they are hyped up to be. As any enemy who is suitably prepared for AV 14 will have no trouble with Land Raiders, an enemy who is kitted up to deal with 2+ saves will have no trouble with Terminators. Plasma makes short work of them. However, deep striking a unit of Terminators equipped with 2 assault cannons right next to an enemy is guaranteed to make him wince, and possibly distract him while he tries to sort them out.

Assault Terminators and especially Grey Knight Terminators are monsters in close combat - if you can actually get them there. As assualt troops go, they are slow and will attract alot of fire. Land Raiders are a good way of getting them into combat fast, but are also a good way of saying "SHOOT ME".

Best things Terminators are for are scare tactics, holding objectives and blasting things with Assault Cannons.
Closed Thread