Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dreadnought based 1500pt army
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jun 2006, 20:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to ShadowSerpent Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowSerpent
Default Dreadnought based 1500pt army

Im trying to come up with a good army that i like and i wanted to try this out for the fact that i do like dreadnoughts. my traits are the same as Iron Hands, Heed the wisdom of the ancients, Scion of Mars, and the drawback as Eye to Eye. Note- this is gonna be my own faction, not Iron Hands.

HQ= Techmarine with full servo
harness and 4 servitors. -140pts

Elite= Venerable Dreadnought with heavy flamer,
Extra armour, Searchlights, Smoke Lauchers,
and a droppod. -174pts

and a droppod. -174pts

and a droppod. -174pts

Troops= Tactical squad ith 1 sgt, 4 marines with
bolters, 1 marine with flamer plus a
razorback with a Hunter-killer missle,
pintle-mounted storm bolter, and smoke
Launchers. -212pts

Troops= Tactical squad ith 1 sgt, 4 marines with
bolters, 1 marine with flamer plus a
razorback with a Hunter-killer missle,
pintle-mounted storm bolter, and smoke
Launchers. -212pts

Heavy Support= Dreadnought with Twin-linked
lascannon, Missle launcher, and smoke
launchers. -138pts

launchers. -138pts

launchers. -138pts

Total
1500pts

Tactics= Use the techmarine behind the heavy dreads to keep them repaired. Use the heavy dreads las cannons to kill any enemy tanks and afterwards use the missle launcher to thin out any infantry thats not in CC. Get my tactical squads into CC as fast as i can using the razorbacks as transport and backup. And try to drop my venerable dreads into CC at the same time.

so what does everyone think. im not sure if this army will work.

Also, any opinions to make my army better will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 04:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Dreadnought based 1500pt army

I personally would use the venerable Dreads for misile and Las-Cannon as you can give them anti-armour for 10 pts Str 10 Las-Cannon and Str 9 missiles v vehciles is great.

The Standard Dreads can be drop podded in and be just as effective.
Old 09 Jun 2006, 05:53   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to ShadowSerpent Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowSerpent

Yea, u do have a point, but where do u thing i should take the 30 pts from? should i get rid of 2-3 of the servitors?
Old 09 Jun 2006, 15:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tharasiph is right, you should definately bolt the heavy, long ranged weapons onto the venerable Dreadnoughts. What he was trying to say is that for 10 points each, you can upgrade them with the Tank Hunters special skill. To get the points, I suggest you strip the razorbacks of their pintle mounted storm bolters (huge rip-off) and their hunter-killer missile launchers; with all that Dreadnought mounted AT firepower, I doubt you'll need any more. That'll give you 50 points straight away. If you take rhinos instead of Razorbacks, you'll have an additional 40 points to spend on all sorts of luxuries! Rhino's also get Storm bolters for free, they come as standard...along with driver/passenger airbags, air conditioning and ABS. You might reconsider the AT Dreadnought's smoke launchers too...'cos when are you not going fire want to fire with them?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 10:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Love this list but your HQ should cost 155 points as you need to grant the Techmarine an extra wound to establish him as a HQ using the Scions of Mars trait. Alos might want to drop the smoke launchers on your lascannon dreads as you'll be wanting to make that twin-linked monster count turn after turn (not to mentions the assult cannons on the other dreads).
Your Hunter killer missile is not necessary as you already have 3(!!!) twin-linked lascannons as well as assult cannons and missile launchers to boot.
But hey, this army rocks.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 13:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
...might want to drop the smoke launchers on your lascannon dreads as you'll be wanting to make that twin-linked monster count turn after turn...Your Hunter killer missile is not necessary as you already have 3(!!!) twin-linked lascannons as well as assult cannons and missile launchers to boot...
Points I already covered in the post immediately before yours. Please do other forum users the dignity of reading their posts first; I for one find it offensive that you consider my opinion so unimportant that you don't even trouble yourself to find out what it is before offering your own. >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 13:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
...might want to drop the smoke launchers on your lascannon dreads as you'll be wanting to make that twin-linked monster count turn after turn...Your Hunter killer missile is not necessary as you already have 3(!!!) twin-linked lascannons as well as assult cannons and missile launchers to boot...
Points I already covered in the post immediately before yours. Please do other forum users the dignity of reading their posts first; I for one find it offensive that you consider my opinion so unimportant that you don't even trouble yourself to find out what it is before offering your own. >
I don't really think he meant to be offensive against your opinion.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Nice and original fluff based army.

It is better only to give Dread's who are upgrade with more expensive weapons the Venerable upgrade.
So you should switch your dreads from the Heavy support slots to the Elites slots. And the other way round. So your Elites Dread will look like this:

Venerable Dreadnought with twin-linked lascannon, missile launcher, tank hunter skill and extra armour.

And your Heavy support Dreads should look like this:

Dreadnought with Assault cannon, close combat arm, storm bolter and extra armour

Feel free to give your dreads smoke launchers, their points cost is so low that having or not having them hardly makes a difference for the rest of your army selection.

As Tom Norman already mentioned in his post, what about just taking Rhino's?
This will free some points with wich you can upgrade your tactical squads a bit more.
They are the most likely the one to do objective grabbing. And they need to survive long enough to keep the objective yours.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 06:21   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sorry, havent been able to get on and post for a few days. I have to thank everyone for some great suggestions. Its helping me perfect this list before i spend the cash for it, thanks. ok, i revised my list and here it is.

HQ= Techmarine with extra wound, full servo
harness and 4 servitors. -155pts

Elite= VenerableDreadnought with Twin-linked
lascannon, Missle launcher and tank hunters skill. -165pts

Elite= Venerable Dreadnought with Twin-linked

Elite= Venerable Dreadnought with Twin-linked

Troops= Tactical squad ith 1 sgt, 7 marines with
bolters, 1 marine with flamer, all with frag
grenades -144pts

Troops= Tactical squad ith 1 sgt, 7 marines with
bolters, 1 marine with flamer, all with frag
grenades -144pts

Heavy Support= Dreadnought with heavy flamer,
and a droppod. -154pts

and a droppod. -154pts

and a droppod. -154pts

Total
1400pts

i was wondering what i should do for the last 100pts. should i really put the anti-tank dreads in droppods? it kinda defeats the purpose of my techmarine.

Thanks for pointing out the extra wound on the techmarine. that didnt even cross my mind at the time.

so im just trying to debate what to do with the last 100pts. feel free to give suggestions.

;D and thanks for the positive feedback so far.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 06:35   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Perhaps another Techmarine, a landspeeder, a small tac squad w/ a heavy weapon, or a scout squad w/ sniper rifles.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSerpent
should i really put the anti-tank dreads in droppods? it kinda defeats the purpose of my techmarine.
No definately not. I think perhaps Stam mixed up your fire support dreadnoughts with your close combat monsters. Drop pod the heavy flamer toting beasts and slowly advance with your AT Dreads, Techmarine in tow.

Have you considered making a Blood Angels successor chapter? That way you could use a Furioso Dreadnought or two.
Closed Thread