Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

marine HQ queries
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2006, 18:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default marine HQ queries

hey, as some of you may know(doubt it) my CC chapter, the crimson tears, was a bit of a fiasco. so ive decided to try again, this time with a static shooty marine army. ill have plenty of devastator squads, and the odd scout or two. but what i was wondering was, what can i do about my HQ? i really dont want to go closecombat and the 'Have Faith in Suspicion' rule seems to be branded into my very soul, placing librarians out of the question. so what do i do with my commander?

Old 07 Jun 2006, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: marine HQ queries

Or for only a few more points a storm bolter. What's better than one gun? Two guns stapeled together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

are those really my only two options? i guess ill have to create another special character.

Old 07 Jun 2006, 20:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well what happened to Revered Brother Elessar; the 15 foot angry rampaging close-combat powerhouse? Did he sod off on another killing spree? I swear, you have got to put a leash on him...
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 07 Jun 2006, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Well what happened to Revered Brother Elessar; the 15 foot angry rampaging close-combat powerhouse? Did he sod off on another killing spree? I swear, you have got to put a leash on him...
the entire crimson tears chapter got scrapped. it turns in im bloody useless at CC. im not used to trying to get close to my enemy(i collect tau and guard) and my rolls in CC are 21% worse than for shooting. so i sold all my CC marines, and ive been thinking of keeping the rest of the marine army and start a dark angels shooty army.

so i made new rules for him:

Chapter Master Elessar

211 points

WS BS Front Side Rear I S A Ld
5 5 12 12 1 0 5 4(3?) 10
Chapter Master Elessar is encased in a Dreadnaught coffin especially designed to hunt down and kill tyranid synapse creatures. He has 2 twinlinked lascannons.

Special Rules:

Rites of Battle:
From inside his dreadnaught Elessar can lead his chapter to battle without fear. Aslong as Elessar is on the battlefield all Space Marine Squads may use his leadership value for all tests.

The Oldest:
As chapter master of the Crimson Tears Elessar has seen almost every battlefield imginable and knows how to react to every situation. Elessar counts as a Venerable Dreadnaught.

but i can't really relly on him since he's very expensive and house-rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Dakari
Well, those aren't your only options, they're more suggestions for low cost Commanders. I personally love the Plasma Pistol-and-Power Weapon getup.
well yes but the plasma pistol is very short ranged. i wish my commander could take a full blown plasma gun, or heavy weapons.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You could use the trait that allows you to take techmarines as HQ's. The gun servitors could go pretty well in shooty armies.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Certainly... A Techmarine with 4 Heavy Bolter Servitors, and a Razorback with TLHB's gives (shudder) 15 Heavy Bolter shots per turn, enough to hose anything with lethal fire.
Old 08 Jun 2006, 02:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Aarhus

There's also a combi-plasma if you'd be interested! That single shot of plasma comes in handy at the oddest of times. You'd be very surprised at when you use it!("omg dreadnought!!! *boom* well then...")

Apart from making your own special character (and he seems a little odd...), then you're looking at a Techie or a master with SB or combi-weapon.

Cheers,
Lawrence.

All that I write is wrong.
All that is left is right.
- Liber Chaotica, Book of Tzeentch

Vengeance and goo flow through my veins.
I shall paint this town a sanguine shade of doom!
- Battlecry generator
Old 08 Jun 2006, 03:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well for any static force a counter charge element and small cc element can come in quite handy and a master with power weapon and bolt pistol hidden in your firebase using IC status to stay untouched can be a good asset if a fast assault force manages to catch some of your army in close combat that master can help extricate them and sergeants armed for cc can also help with that. Just because you dont do cc doesnt mean you shouldnt prepare for it. Plus the master confers LD10 which really helps a shooty army with moral and leadership tests which they will have to do and you really dont want marines running off the board which they might even with ATSKNF if they are in a static firing position close to the board edge and then there are always target priority tests.

Old 08 Jun 2006, 16:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhus
There's also a combi-plasma if you'd be interested! That single shot of plasma comes in handy at the oddest of times.
You really like plasma? For those 15 points, I'd take a combi-melta. For close range anti-vehicle defence, especially when you've only got one shot, you'll want something with a bit more pep to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhus
omg dreadnought!!!
Hehe, I've got the image in my head now of a Dreadnought with a big knife trying to bound stealthily from bush to bush under cover of darkness.

"Where the hell did that come from?!"
"It's been steadily encroaching on our position for the last ten minutes, sir. Don't you remember me telling you earlier?"
"Oh yeah."
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread