Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Templars Custom Special Character(Help?)
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jun 2006, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Black Templars Custom Special Character(Help?)

I was inspired by Terminatus recently to inquire about creating a special character. I like the idea of a BT crusade against the Necrons(my current army). I didn't even know where to start but I do know that I don't want to have a "special" character that looks like something taken out of the SM wargear section in 5 minutes. I actually want his powers, weapons and some wargear to be custom. I will have more time later on tonight as I have to go to work in about 10 minutes so I will check and update then. Thanks all, suggestions/stat lines/weapon ideas/fluff/etc... will be much needed and accepted with open arms. I was thinking about a relatively small crusade, maybe 3000(1500 to 2000 in reality) pts worth against a necron held galaxy. Thnx

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 05 Jun 2006, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Black Templars Custom Special Character(Help?)

Well basing a character on a Chaplain ideally suits the Black Templars because they've got the whole passion, purity and fury thing going for them. Basing him on a Librarian opens greater scope for possiblity (messing with the warp has limitless potential) but you're after something a bit different? Maybe you could make a Techmarine HQ choice? You could say he has been dispatched with a small task force for a dual purpose mission; to counter the growing Necron threat (in a remote location) and garner whatever information regarding Necro bio-technology he can to facilitate the ongoing search for a weakness in the Necron war machine.

As for special abilities/kit perhaps you could give him a 'null rod' or some such device as to negate the enemy ability to regenerate? Or perhaps you could give him a custom-built signum that allows him to raise fallen necron warriors after winning an assault and bend them to his will much like servitors?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 00:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm...

Marshall Furkrin

Weapons: Furkrin's Flame, Master-crafted bolt pistol, purity seals, Crusader seals, Frag grenades, Krak grenades, jumpack, bionics
Special Rules
Furkrin's Flame: This weapon is a short power cutlass, used by Furkrin to make devastiting sweeps as he arrives to the scene with his jumpack. It is a power weapon that adds +2 strength when charging, +1 everywhere else.
Fury: Furkrin has been known to enter a bloodlust during battle, mounting furious charges and deadly raids at a moments notice. When in assault, he always gets +1 attack, but his mentality is so sorely comprimised, when not in assault, he may not fire any weapons and must always move maximum distance towards the nearest enemy.

Meh, just throwin' out ideas. You could give him a bike instead... they're always cool!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 06 Jun 2006, 00:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oohhhh, I like that signum idea . The BT can't take librarians or affiliate w/ pshycics in any way(no psychic alies except for GK I beleive). I didn't like the idea of a chaplain although special cenobyte servitors could be very helpful... I was thinking some kind of a special commander for the LD boost particularly when shooting but the techmarine is a good idea, particularly with the necrons being almost machines and the adeptus mechanis worshipping the machine god(read: Sleeping God or Dragon C'tan hehehe >). Alright, stat line and initial abilities up and coming, just an hour or two.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 06 Jun 2006, 00:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

True, the bike would be cool but that sounds a whole lot like the BA and I already played them. I like the weapon though. Check back in an hour or two for the initial character.

--Commissar_Will
Old 06 Jun 2006, 00:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey!

True, a bike or jumpack is usaully hit or miss, but a jumpack is usaully good for tagging along with assault squads.

By the way, theres a button on everyone of your posts called 'Modify'. Press that to respond to another post, so you don't double post.

Can't wait to see him!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 06 Jun 2006, 00:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Have your character affect the squad they're leading with the perferred enemy: Necrons rule, maybe with some special anti-Necron weapon or just a crap load of plasmas or meltas, heavy flamers perhaps? Terminators with assault cannons is also a good place to start as I believe that Necrons have a 4+ save

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 06 Jun 2006, 03:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is my original special character, Techno-marshal Martis. He is probably overpowered but I went for something slow that was specifically anti necron. I also amped his stuff because he was the supreme leader of this crusade and he needed cool stuff. I envisioned him as being akin to the Inquisitor of the Adeptus Mechanicus. I did use some irony in that he has the gaze of ruin and a warscythe and he is part machine. I also basically gave him a downgraded WBB roll. He is turning into the thing he despises. Of course when you worship the C'tan what do you expect? He is leading an anti-necron crusade deep into a necron held star system with "borrowed" troops. High Marshal Helbrecht of the Black Templars was able to be sold by the Adeptus Mechanicus on this rising threat to the emperor. His primary mission is to learn about the necrons and gather as much tactical and practical knowledge about the Necrons. His secondary and secret mission is to eliminate them at all costs but his own life, even if it costs him every BT with him. IDK, sinister, ironic and my own. I like it. Please tear him down so that I may build him back up the right way.

Tech-marshal Martis - 210 pts
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
5 4 4 5 2 4 2 9 2+

Weapons: Techno-reaper, **Storm Bolter, **Plasma Gun, **Inferno Pistol, ** 2 Power Fists

Wargear and Equipment: Servo Body, Crusader Seals, Signum, Gaze of Ruin, Frag Grenades

The Techno-reaper: The Techno-reaper is a piece of wargear taken from a Necron form by the name of Pariah. It is the only piece of this type ever captured from the necrons. In game terms it counts as a power weapon which ignores all types of saves(Armor, Invulnerable, and Cover), having the ability to pass clean through anything leaving nought a trace but a gash. The Techno-reaper also rolls 2D6 + the Wielders S for armor penetration rolls.

**These weapons are all mounted on the Tech-marshal's special servo harness(see special rule).

-- Tech-marshal Martis's body has been so heavily augmented that his servo harness has been custom made and grafted to his body and his armor. He never removes his armor or his servo-harness as they are literally a part of him. This servo harness has a storm bolter, plasma gun and inferno pistol in addition to 2 servo arms which count as power fists. These servo arms count as individual attacks so Martis would get 2 Power fist attacks and the rest would be with his Techno-reaper/Inferno Pistol. Because of this servo harness, Martis never counts as moving for the purposes of shooting and can never ride a bike or a transport. He may never have a jump pack and may not enter a tank. He may never be harmed by the plasma gun overheating as it is part of his harness. As the harness is a part of his body it grants him +1 to T(Note: this actually increases his T for all purposes as it is actually a part of his body) and gives him special bionics. These bionics allow Martis to ignore a wound on a 5+ but for every wound ignored, one weapon must be removed from Martis's servo harness. When there are no weapons left, Martis dies outright as a large part of his body no longer exists. The servo-harness also counts as artificer armor like all other servo-harnesses.

-- Martis may take a retinue of 8 servitors instead of 4. You still may not have more than 1 plasma cannon, but as the Adeptus Mechanicus does not know too much about what kills Necrons, there may be no more than 2 of any other weapon taken. Martis shuns the use of Technical Servitors, trusting in the Omnissiah and his own advanced knowledge of technology to help him repair and control the machine spirits and as such may not take any technical servitors.

-- The Gaze of Ruin is a new technology developed by the Adeptus Mechanicus. It is going to be field tested in secret by Martis when he fights against the necrons. It's sole purpose is to disable the advanced Necron self repair systems. No Necron model may take its WBB roll if it is within 6" of Martis and Martis has LOS. The only way around this is by teleporting through a monolith. The Gaze of Ruin disables the effects of a resurrection orb and essentially fries the self repair system.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 06 Jun 2006, 06:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

He's complicated...

He might not fit in the back of a rhino but perhaps he should take up two spaces in a Land Raider?

Perhaps instead of seperate types of attacks he should have to choose one or the other so as not to risk complicating things...with the Techno-Reaper, the power fists are largely redundant. But ignoring invulnerable saves? I think that will be frowned upon.

I like the weapon-removal thing but it's gonna be awkward having to note weapons lost as well as wounds.

Oh, and no super-signum? :'(
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 17:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nope, I tried to put that into the Gaze of Ruin. I didn't like trying to mix the fluff and the actual game abilities because anti-necron just isn't the signums deal. I did want something though. Do you think I could knock the points down to 200? Maybe the warscythe can lose some of its power and so not ignore invuls but ignore anything else. Although, it seems to me that it would be easier to ignore an invul save seeing as it is a physical thing than it would be to ignore a cover save which is largely not being able to see them. I don't want him to have a transport but maybe if he counted himself as being the size of 6 SM maybe. IDK, good idea. It would be fluffy if he rode around in a LRC but would it make him too good? He already has the Righteous Zeal move but... I think that I will leave the warscythe alone for now. I really like the fluff it adds and it best portrays his downfall on the path of the Necrons. It also is a mark of status in the Necron army as only the elite necrons have them and in the BT army(though for different reasons). As for the power fists. They are there to help fix vehicles but in game terms are treated as powerfists. The Techmarines are not meant for up close and bloody combat as much as they are for reapiring and running the companies machines. If I take away the Power fists then I just lost SOOO much of my fluff in the sense that that is the original purpose of the servoharness. As far as the complications of figuring out which weapons go bye bye, maybe their could be a set order.That might help balance him out as he would have to lose some of the better weapons first.

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Closed Thread