Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop pod Question
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jun 2006, 23:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Default Drop pod Question

Do you have to use something to represent drop pods? I am under the assumption that you gotta use something, but my friend says you don't have to use anything. He says you just drop the guys down, and thats it.

Who's right?

Thnx in advance guys!
Old 05 Jun 2006, 00:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Drop pod Question

We're still waiting on Games Workshop to provide us with a drop pod model to use in our games. Tt's pretty stupid giving Space Marines something as useful and just plain cool as drop pods and not supply the model to represent them!

In the mean time you can either use a big, upturned cup (the sort you get at McDonalds for example), build one out of plasticard and foamboard or, if you've got money coming out the yin-yang, you can buy one off Forgeworld.

Whatever you do, it's important to have something to represent it on the battlefield, both because your marines are supposed to deploy from it like they would a vehicle and because it restricts movement/line of sight (useful for staying alive amidst the enemy lines).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 00:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

http://www.miniaturescenery.com/SeriesPage.asp?Code=BNK

Whoo-di-ka!

There you go, affordable Drop Pods.

As for your question, there's Deep Strike, and Drop Pods, which are two different things...if a unit Deep Strikes, then you just place them on the board where ever they wind up.

If a unit Drop Pods, you place the Drop Pod on the board (using Deep Strike Rules), then place the unit traveling in the Drop Pod outside the Pod, as they've just exited.

Hope that clarifies...

D-DS

Old 05 Jun 2006, 00:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Yeah, I know the difference between DS and DP(durrrrrrrrrrrr). I knew you had to use something. It has an armour value and a weapon so you can shoot at it like a vehicle. And you have to have something represent a vehicle.

If you don't use something to represent a drop pod, then people could use "invisible" rhinos/land raiders. And that would be stupid.

Thanks for the Answers guys.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 00:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

What? You mean my phantom Baneblade legion, 'The Ghost Stalkers' is illegal? It's madness I say!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 05:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Drats! There goes my "Invisible Third Leman Russ" tactic....

And I'm sure you knew the difference betwee DS and DP, but I pointed those out because your friend may not have.

Actually, paying for the Drop Pod and not using a model to represent it hurts the Space Marine player...no cover, no blocking LOS, no stormbolter shots...

D-DS
Old 05 Jun 2006, 08:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wait, I knew Drop pods blocked LOS but do they count as cover when they're classified as a vehicle or do you have to wait until they become a wreck to beneift from the +4 cover save?
Old 05 Jun 2006, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm...good question. I imagine you can't use normal vehicles as cover in that way because they're still mobile and not billowing clouds of smoke...but a drop pod is immobile the moment it touches down. They're a bit tall to clamber up on top of though aren't they? Plus the exhaust would still be red hot. I would say, once a drop pod hits the deck and the troops are on their feet, just treat it as a tall piece of scenery (but don't try to clamber up on top of it).
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSquid
http://www.miniaturescenery.com/SeriesPage.asp?Code=BNK

Whoo-di-ka!

There you go, affordable Drop Pods.

As for your question, there's Deep Strike, and Drop Pods, which are two different things...if a unit Deep Strikes, then you just place them on the board where ever they wind up.

If a unit Drop Pods, you place the Drop Pod on the board (using Deep Strike Rules), then place the unit traveling in the Drop Pod outside the Pod, as they've just exited.

Hope that clarifies...

D-DS

Hey Squiddy, how's that company get away with quite clearly making a model based off of the GW drop pod? They're just lucky so far?

Those are pretty cool though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 16:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Do you have to use something to represent drop pods? I am under the assumption that you gotta use something, but my friend says you don't have to use anything. He says you just drop the guys down, and thats it.

Who's right?

Thnx in advance guys!
You must represent your Drop Pod with something that is of similar size and equipped as it should be. Drop Pods are not just invisible teleporters. They are real models in game, size 3, immobile and equipped with a weapon. The only time it's "ok" to use Drop Pods and not have something on the board, is in a casual game where all your opponents don't mind that you're using rules for something you don't have.

Any other time - you must have a Drop Pod model of some kind.

This does not mean you have to run off and buy hundreds of dollars worth of pods from Forge World. It doesn't even mean spending $60+ buying the alternative models out there.

If you want Drop Pods, then make your own from scratch. Make sure it's about 4 inches in diameter (at the base only) and that it's the appropriate height (about as high as any vehicle, or monstrous creature--it's size 3). You know what you can do this with? Anything. Go to your local hardware shop and buy some 4inch plumbing pipes and caps. Sand off the numbers and text and paint it up. Instant pod for $5.

And for anyone who doesn't believe me. All it takes is literally about 30 minutes and $5 worth of junk from your hardware store:

Cheers!