Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Spectre Lance 2000pts
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jun 2006, 04:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Aarhus
Default Spectre Lance 2000pts

Well, I'm trying to get a personal bodyguard for the Chapter Master himself, and I figure he'd go to war in style if he were to do so at all.

Here's what I like, mainly because there isn't a single assault cannon!

Tell me what you think, no holds barred, just let it out!

Spectre Lance 2000pts
Purity Above All - Apothecaries as Vet Sergeants
Die Standing - No Drop Pods

Chapter Master Aarhus Isadora
Bolt Pistol, Sword of Heroes (Forge Primus upgrade, +2S, counts as Power Weapon)
Artificer Armour, Bionics, Frags, Purity Seals, Terminator Honours, Iron Halo
167pts
Aarhus Isadora?s Personal Bodyguard
Five Models, BP/CCW x2
Company Champion Orion ? BP/PW, Combat Shield
Apothecary Calamanco ? BP/CCW, Narthecium, Reductor
Veteran Sergeant Cronin ? BP/PF
150pts
Razorback Isadora
Twin Heavy Bolters ? Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
78pts
395pts

Epistolary Salamanca
Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Vortex of Doom, Fury of the Ancients
Artificer Armour, Bike, Bionics
190pts

Tactical Squad
Ten Models, Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun
Apothecary Alamance ? Narthecium, Reductor
Rhino ? Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
278pts

Tactical Squad
Ten Models, Lascannon, Plasma Gun
Apothecary Thalamic ? Narthecium, Reductor
273pts

Tactical Squad
Ten Models, Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun
Apothecary Gotrin ? Narthecium, Reductor
263pts

Scout Squad
Ten Models, BP/CCW x9
Veteran Sergeant Hossus ? BP/PF
158pts

Land Speeder
Multi-Melta
65pts

Land Speeder
Multi-Melta
65pts

Devastator Squad
Eight Models, Heavy Bolter x4
180pts

Vindicator
Dozer Blades, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
133pts

2000pts

All that I write is wrong.
All that is left is right.
- Liber Chaotica, Book of Tzeentch

Vengeance and goo flow through my veins.
I shall paint this town a sanguine shade of doom!
- Battlecry generator
Old 04 Jun 2006, 15:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Spectre Lance 2000pts

Ditch the Razorback...they're a huge points sink. Sure it's nice to pay a little extra for some added firepower at the expense of unused transport capacity but, as anyone who has made extensive use of rhinos can tell you, their paper thin armour will crumple under anything heavier than small arms fire...God forbid you deploy it against the Imperial Guard with their ubiquitous autocannon. Give your command squad a Rhino instead, 'cos let's face it, you're gonna want to close the distance as fast as possible with a command squad on board, and 6" per turn just doesn't cut it...especially with cardboard armour. Use the 20 points you'll save to invest in a heavy flamer each for your Land Speeders, it'll greatly improve their flexability and your opponent will never know what they're going to do. By the way, a Razorback with a dozer blade, extra armour and smoke launchers costs 83 points...not 78 (you must have forgotten to count one of the upgrades).

You might also try to find the points to give the Vindicator the 'Power of the Machine Spirit' upgrade so it can still move and fire even if it's stunned (being an ordinance weapon, you won't suffer from the reduced BS). To harvest some of the extra points needed, I'd drop the Vindicator's extra armour (not a transport vehicle: pointless. Besides, Power of the Machine Spirit makes it mostly redundant anyway) and the smoke launchers because if there's something big enough to hurt the vindicator out there, chances are you'll want to fire that big pie plate cannon at it rather than the smoke launchers.

Also, I would recommend you take a little more AT with you. The Vindicator can't kill everything and Land Speeders are fragile little things. If you don't want to upgrade the Devastator squad with expensive tank killing tools then you could do one of two things: Either swap out the tac squads Plasma Cannon and Heavy Bolter for a couple more lascannons or take the trait 'Suffer not the works of Heretics' for the Devastators and load up on missile launchers (the equivilent of 4 lascannons for 104 points instead of 140...plus you've still got frag missiles for harassing troops). Since the troops have got Rhino's to get them up close, perhaps melta guns in place of plasma?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's good advice you gave, but I'm not sure I agree with it...

You assume that I'm going to deploy my forces in plain sight of a shooting army, sure there'll be squads I can't avoid, but I'll take my chances. Luckily, I rarely, if ever face up against Guard.
The Razorback is there to bring the command squad in. I'm not going to be a numpty and only move the razorback 6" a turn, I'm going to haul ass and get the command squad where they're going to do their best. Besides, I don't think I'd buy any more than 6 guys for my Command Squad.
If the Razorback's still survived after enemy fire, then it's there to be like a mosquito, forcing target priority checks and having a twin heavy bolter in enemy lines!
As for costing 83pts instead, that's why I put my lists online because I usually miss mistakes like that (the first rendition of the list had those Land Speeders costing 60pts instead!)

I'll look for another 5pts.

As for my anti-tank not being sufficient, I find that I can easily make do with what I have.
I find that if I have more than 1 anti-tank weapon for every 500pts, then it's too much.
The Lascannon, the pair of Multi-meltas and the vindicator should do me fine. Most of my opponents feel that vehicles are too fragile anyway, so it gives me a bit of a break by not having to worry about loading up on lascannons.
If all else fails, I find that plasma works as a DELICIOUS tank hunter, more often than not surprisingly.
The Plasma Cannon was my MVP two games straight against Eldar and Dark Eldar.
It took out 2 Serpents and 4 of each of their crew, a Falcon, 3 raiders and 6-7 of each of their crew, a disintegrator, a full squad of scorpions, all but 1 Incubi and an Archon (I have a 2+ invul!!!! ......1 well, I take a wound... What? It's S7? Damn...)

I'll tweak with the list a bit with your advice Tom, but I'd like to hear other people's commentary first!

Cheers,
Lawrence.

- Battlecry generator
Old 04 Jun 2006, 18:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Can't say fairer than that. I think you'll come to regret the Razorback though...when you put it together, leave the turret ring plate unglued so you can swap it out for a top hatch instead. That way you can always revert it to a Rhino if you find it's not working out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhus
The Lascannon, the pair of Multi-meltas and the vindicator should do me fine.
Be aware that the Lascannon will very likely be tied up with his squad mates playing merry hell with enemy infantry, mostly out of necessity. Don't rely on you speeders either; even lucky small arms fire can bring them down. Given the nature of their weaponry and the manner in which they are best deployed to attack armour, you've got to expect them to draw a lot of fire from squads that are out of range of everything else. As for using a plasma cannon in an AT role, you're screwed if your enemy tips up in a Leman Russ or a Land Raider. To break a Predator or a Falcon's front armour will require a great deal of luck too. Your chances of landing a glancing hit or better are 11% and 22% respectively, whereas a Lascannon brings a 33% and a 44% probability. I think those are points well spent when you consider the cost of a plasma cannon. I'm on board with the idea of taking troops with plasma guns and transport though. Those things work out as short ranged autocannons vs vehicles (albeit with a chance of overheating), I like where your head's at. Note to self - Stop giving everyone flamers...

P.S. - Drop Cronin's teleport homer...you've got no terminators.

*Tom hands Lawrence a tiny gift-wrapped box of five points*

Don't spend it all at once.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Its... beautiful!

Apothacary ready! Who is in need of my skills?

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 04 Jun 2006, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hehe, I take it you're a fan of the men in white then? Is that a quote from Dawn of War? I wish I could take an apothecary in every squad, there's a lot of traits I'd like to use...but I play Imperial Fists so I have to take a particular two...and they suck. >
Old 05 Jun 2006, 08:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I like the list but have three simple things to point out:

The first tactical squad should cose 278 pts I believe because the plasma cannon should normally cost 5 more points than the lascannon...
Also, I would like to heavily support the plasma ideas while having an Apothecary in each and every tac squad seeing as it will reduce the chances of over heating each turn. Why not change all your tactical squads to this:

Tactical Squad
Ten Models, Plasma Gun, Plasma Gun
Apothecary Alamance Narthecium, Reductor
Rhino Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
268?pts

It keeps with your theme, is more effective with rapid fire deploying out of the rhino and it's cheaper. Just make sure you take the trait 'Cleanse and Purify' in order to make it legal.

Lastly, to free up some points for Power of the Machine Spirit (a must for the vindicator), remove either the iron halo or the artificer armour from your commander. Oh, and bionics will be nearly useless even though they look cheap it would be better to get a Heavy Bolter for the same cost, lol. Hope that helped.
Old 06 Jun 2006, 19:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd rather not go the route of cleanse and purify, because I'm already trying to distance myself from my Death Guard.

I edited some mistakes I made.

I replaced the two tele-homers and downgraded the multi-melta in the tac squad to have a Heavy Bolter to compensate for the fact I was over by 15pts for the speeders and the plasma cannon.

The Epistolary will be (hopefully) running with the rhinos for the first couple of turns until he can get into combat.

He has the bike for the increased toughness and the odd time I may ACTUALLY want to turbo boost (say turn 5-6 when there's something that NEEDS to die and he's still alive somehow).

I -want- to include some bikes, but I just dropped about 90 clams on 10 assault troopers (one of which was turned into a Librarian with JP, so there's 11).

Also, there are so many other things I want to include as well, but I don't know what I'd take away.

Army Wish List:

-Land Raider
-10 man Assault squad with 3 plasma pistols and a power weapon
-2nd Librarian with JP (probably drop the Chapter Master and his cronies after I see how this list does)
-Inquisitorial retinue with shooty shooty fun
-2 daemonhosts

I'll test this list out first at some point and time and make appropriate tweaks.

Cheers,
Lawrence.

- Battlecry generator
Old 11 Jun 2006, 03:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

*boot* Anybody? Bueller?

- Battlecry generator
Old 11 Jun 2006, 03:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Looks good, lots of plasma. Make sure you never anger the dice gods. 8)

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Closed Thread