Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Wolves or Ultramarines?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jun 2006, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Space Wolves or Ultramarines?

After my Tau Army, I have been looking forward to starting a Space Marine army.

I have narrow it down to the Ultramarines or Space Wolves.

Do the Space Wolves have the same access to the units as the Ultramarines?
Old 01 Jun 2006, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Space Wolves or Ultramarines?

No. Space Wolves draw from a completely different Codex, and are a much, much differant army from the Ultramarines.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Space Wolves are only marines in the sense that they draw from the same gene-seed (stat line) and armory (war egar) of the Space Marines, the Wolves have their own rules (15 bloodclaws in a squad w/ 3 powerfists!) and special characters and such

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 01 Jun 2006, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Lets see... Ultramarines, who are able to take anything in the space marine codex but in exchange have no special rules, or Space Wolves that get some really powerful things, but in exchange get bent over a barrel in other ways.

Best thing I can tell you is:

1. The new Space Wolves codex is more than a year away, whereas you can be playing a fully up to date Ultramarines army within the amount of time it takes you to get your mini's ready.

2. However with you saying you just came off tau, you might want to go to the opposite spectrum of fighting styles. If that is the case then you would probably lean more towards Space Wolves.

But I'm going to say go with the wolves. Why you ask (even if you didn't, its my post dang it)? Venerable Dreadnought as an HQ choice. and really thats reason enough in my book.

almost makes me want to play Space Wolves, then I remember my dark angels regularly thrash them, but thats for a different post so..... ;D
Old 01 Jun 2006, 02:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

I say make your own chapter! Even if you decide for space wolves, be sure to make yur own scheme and fluff and just use the same rules with different names. Trust me, its a lot funner the way

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 01 Jun 2006, 02:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

*Begin Space Wolf fanboyism*

Yep. I'm saying Space Wolves. For one, you have the choice to legally have 6 dreadnoughts without taking a special rule like "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients". That's in a 1500 point game. After that it climbs to 7 dreads, 8 dreads, ect.

Also fenrisian wolves (they are really "dire wolves" from WH: Fantasy, but REAL wolves come from Fenris) are not to be taken lightly.

Blood Claws own in CC. Grey Hunters pwn in the Shooting Phase. Long Fangs just pwn.

If you're willing to shell out the extra $10 for the space wolf codex, and you dont' mind having one HQ per 750 points (I sure don't) then go Wolves.

But if you want to be an average SM player who plays UM instead of a drunken viking who's pet is a five foot tall superwolf, that's your choice.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 08:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How do you get 6? Ancients are 0-1.

Anyway, Wolves rock. One common misconception is that they're a pure combat army. They aren't. In some ways, they're even more versatile tan normal Marines. They have berserker assault troops, but they can also do very versatile squads able to shoot or fight in hand-to-hand. They also have a heavier battle tank than the normal SM army: the Leman Russ Exterminator. OK, the Termies can't teleport, but that's not too bad: just bung 'em in a Raider!

One of the best things: you can have a squad with a meltagun and meltabombs coming on where the enemy reserves do. Bye-bye, Tanks.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 09:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to perfect enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
I say make your own chapter! Even if you decide for space wolves, be sure to make yur own scheme and fluff and just use the same rules with different names. Trust me, its a lot funner the way
i agree with you. it just not as fun if you do one of the allready made up chapter.
but if you do i would go with the space wolves 13th company in the eye of terror codex as the wulfen rock :rockon: and you can take them as troops if you have a wolf lord with the mark of the wulfen but thay do have a down side.
Old 01 Jun 2006, 10:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i used to play as marines and i got so anoyed that these emperors champions are now only for a templar army > so.... i say make a templar cross normal marine army in your own chapter or............ if you dont want to shell out an extra $36 for a templar codex get wolves. i love wolves anyway they own in CC they lay down heaps of firepower from their long fangs, their scouts are kick arse, you can get logan grimnar (i dont now how to spell it), and you can also get awsome termies and great tanks. actually...... dont go for the templar hybrid army its a realy good idea but space wolves just ROCK :funny:

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 01 Jun 2006, 12:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if your not sure how you want to play yet go with ultra marines. they're jac-of-all trades type. if you know how you want to play compare it with space wolf battle tactics and see how that goes.

Closed Thread