Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Templars Army List, quick review?
Closed Thread
Old 31 May 2006, 05:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Black Templars Army List, quick review?

This is my army list, I tried to keep it consistent witht he fluff and balance it leaning towards speed. Any advice, revisions or corrections would be much appreciated. Thnx

Steel Skeleton

Army List : 1,000 points Black Templars {The army list scored a 7 on Wargamer's Powergaming test. This puts the army at "wargamer" status. I think it fits more at the regular gamer level. I am really not dealing with enough points or understanding to build a good and fluffy army, but I did try.}

[hr]
[hr]

HQ 1: Reclusiarch(Chaplain)
Crozarius Arcanum, Bolt Pistol, Rosarius, Jump Pack, Crusader Seals, Holy Orb of Antioch, Terminator Honors, Frag Grenades Total: 142 Points
[size=8pt] This little monstrosity will team up with the assault squad and hopefully provide some true speed to the army. If the squad does die, I can always run him alone and keep something in front of him. Shouldn't be too hard, right? [/size]

HQ 2: The Emperor's Champion
Black Sword, Armor of Faith, Terminator Honors, Crusader Seals, Frag Grenades, Bolt Pistol,
Vow: "Suffer Not The Unclean to Live" Total: 125 Points
[size=8pt] Scary, pretty self explanatory. I guess in very low point battles(750 and below) he could team up with the Reclusiarch and use the IC special rules to keep from getting shot. [/size]

[hr]

Elite 1: Dreadnought
Assault Cannon, Missile LauncherTotal: 115 Points
[size=8pt]Walk, Shoot, Kill... This guy is a walking tank and as such should avoid combat, that's what the rest of the army is there for, right ?[/size]

[hr]

Troops 1: Crusader Squad Meatshield(7 Initiates & 7 Neophytes)
12 Bolt Pistol's & CCW's, 1 Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon, 1 Flamer, Crusader Seals{Initiates only}, Frag Grenades Total: 216 Points
[size=8pt] This will be my main kill squad. They will potentially use the neophytes as meatshields and to encourage "Righteous Zeal" moves because otherwise they go nowhere.[/size]

Troops 2: Crusader Squad Devastator(5 Initiates)
4 Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher Total: 90 Points
[size=8pt] They will sit towards the middle and back of my deployment zone and try to lay down covering fire for my advancing initiates, neophytes and vehicles.[/size]

Troops 3: Crusader Squad Devastator(6 Initiates)
4 Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Plasma Gun Total: 112 Points
[size=8pt] They will sit towards the middle and back of my deployment zone and try to lay down covering fire for my advancing initiates, neophytes and vehicles.[/size]

[hr]

Fast Attack 1: Land Speeder Tornado
Assault Cannon, Heavy bolter Total: 80 Points
[size=8pt] His whole purpose is to go ahead of the assault troops and bounce back and forth between the advancing crusader squad and the assault squad. This guy should also capture some territory and/or root out flankers and things otherwise untouchable.[/size]

Fast Attack 2: Assault Squad(5 Initiates)
3 Bolt Pistol's & CCW's, 2 Plasma Pistol's & CCW's, Jump Pack, Frag Grenades Total: 120 Points
[size=8pt] These guys have two purposes, to have fun with and to tie up things that would make mincemeat out of my advancing crusader squad. They will also usually act as a bodyguard for my Reclusiarch [/size]

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1,000 Points [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

P.S. Thanks to Olannon for the great frame. You can copy and paste it from this link; http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=22087.0. Also, you could just go to the Tau forum and the the sub-forum called Tau Am Lists, it has been stickied.

--Commissar_Will
Old 31 May 2006, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword
Default Re: Black Templars Army List, quick review?

Your the tiniest bit over 1000 points, ditch some frags

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 31 May 2006, 18:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Be sure to bolt that Chaplain onto your 1st troops choice...it'd be a shame to waste his abilities. Alternatively, give him a jump pack and attach him to the assault squad. I recommend dropping the extra armour from the Dreadnought because without a close combat weapon, it serves almost no purpose. Don't rely on your land speeder to get things done, they've got paper thin armour and it's only their speed that lends them survivability...they tend to die unexpectedly to small arms fire at inopportune moments. If you can find the points somewhere I would recommend giving your assault troops melta bombs...you might find you need some more reliable (and flexible) AT than a couple of assault cannons and an missile launcher or three. The Leman Russ and Demolisher spring to mind...but in such a small game, you probably won't see more than one of those anyway.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 31 May 2006, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

{RESPONSE TO SHADOWSWORD} If I do that then I lose them for the whole squad. I really don't want to lose my frag grenades because giving the tau fire warriors any more of an advantage(like In-10 in cover) is a bad thing. I guess if somebody wanted to be real stringent, like in a tourny, then I would drop off the smoke launchers from the dread? That would put me at 999pts. Most of the games I play, we have a +/- 5 pts safety net, so I should be fine. Like I said, if it really came down to it I would drop off the smoke launchers from the dread and put my total at 999pts.
Does the rest of the army look strong and BTish? I think that it would do relatively well so...?

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 31 May 2006, 18:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

{RESPONSE TO TOM NORMAN} I am hoping that I am not relying on my LS too much, that wasn't not my intent. My intent was more along the lines of mobile fire support. The armor is a concern but for 80pts? All tau vehicles are skimmers and will be moved consistently so melta's would be good but only fitting on a 6 would not. I hopefully won't be using them for anti-vehicular support anyway. That was why the 2 heavy weapons teams were there. Do you think that they will do the job? The chaplain does have a jump pack and will accompany the assault squad. Pending their deaths he will work on his own using the IC rules and staying in combat for as much time as possible. At least that's how its supposed to go. . Also, good point on the extra armor removal. In theory, w/o the smoke launchers or the DCCW it serves very little purpose. ;D YAY More points for me!
I will edit the list now.
Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 31 May 2006, 18:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword

What do you mean give the Tau an advantage in Assult, they are as bout as deadly up close as an asthmatic ant with some heavy shopping (no offence) because of low initiative, low weapon skill and low strength (apart from the Kroot who are practically canon fodder).
Yes it is well rounded and strong.

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 31 May 2006, 18:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Shadowsword, I think I will have to sig that . That was a beautiful description of the Tau close combat style. You listed low WS, S, and I. When they are assaulted and they are in cover, they count as having and initiative of 10, this is there only advantage and for the sake of balance, I think I will leave the frags there. Good to hear that it works, on my first try too .

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Old 31 May 2006, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually if marines are fighting basic tau or basic guard then the Tau are actually better!

The marines are going first, hitting and wounding on 3+ in both cases. However the Tau have better armour!

The only time guardsmen will be better than Tau is with the aid of doctrines, or because SOME (not ALL) of their units have access to power weapons/fists.

Also Tau firewarriors can have photon grenades, meaning assaulting a full unit of firewarriors in cover isn't always a guarnteed win.

Heck the other day I had a unit of firewarriors beat the snot out of charging Daemons!

Mind you they were Nuglings, which essentially are living snot... but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 31 May 2006, 20:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Skeleton
The chaplain does have a jump pack and will accompany the assault squad. Pending their deaths he will work on his own using the IC rules and staying in combat for as much time as possible.
Seriously bud, this guy's wasted fighting on his own; get him in a squad. Being fearless is always an advantage, especially in small squads where 25% shooting casualties are commonplace. More importantly than that, the ability to re-roll the entire unit's to-hit rolls is invaluable on the charge. It can make the difference between exterminating the enemy in one fell swoop and getting tied up in combat with a single unit, taking casualties while the battle rolls on by. It's why the guy is so expensive.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 31 May 2006, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can he join the assaulting crusader squad even though he has a jump pack? Otherwise I will probably leave him w/ the jump pack. The assault squad will probably be the first ones into combat and so what you just descrobed becomes even more important. BTW, If I do setroy the assaulted squad, won't that leave me vulnerable to enemy shooting in the next turn?

Steel Skeleton

--Commissar_Will
Closed Thread