Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Non-beardy Special Character
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2006, 20:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Non-beardy Special Character

I'm trying to make a Special Character for my Chapter, as that's one of the downfalls of making your own chapter: you don't get any spiffy special rules or characters... I'll probably go with a more cc oriented librarian of some sort like this:
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
6 5 5 5 3 6 3 10 3+

With the force weapon and only one psychic power available... something like that to the tune of, say, 150 points plus other gear abd psychic power... suggestions?

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 30 May 2006, 20:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Non-beardy Special Character

He probably shouldn't have toughness 5. Even a tyranid warrior only has toughness 4. People rarely see the massive gulf between those two different toughness characteristics. Space marines are genetically engineered bio-killers...they've got two hearts and their blood clots in seconds! He's only one point short of Carnifax status...but he's not that big (is he?!). Unless you make up some plausible fluff about how he manipulates the warp for his own protection, granting him preternatural resilience, then you should definitely lower his toughness back down to the pathetic lows of mere super-human.

When designing a special character then I heartily recommend taking the opportunity to give him some kind of excellent unique ability. Preferably one that embodies the spirit of your army. For example, Captain Lysander of the Imperial Fists makes massive, precision simultaneous Terminator assaults a reality. Decide for yourself what characterises your army, whether it be based on fluff or battlefield strategy (or a bit of both) and build you character to deliver that to your enemy in vivid living colour. Remember, your commander is supposed to represent you on the battlefield...make it the sort of ability that gets him noticed and maybe even swings the battle! Bear in mind though that your opponent must give you his consent to use a custom special character, so you mustn't go over the top (no matter how many points he costs).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 May 2006, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika

This special character would go over 200+

Compare to a tuned-up DP perhaps?
Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
Old 30 May 2006, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would leave his base strength and toughness at 4, but you could give him a weapon that added +1 to his Strength. The other stats look fine.
Old 30 May 2006, 21:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

toughnes 5 is a bit overdoing it, although Deathguard have T5 and that's where I got it from, although he is not of Deathguard...
How about this:
Hammer of Flames: The embodiment of pride of this chapter, it confers +1 strength to the commander and allows him and additional d6 for armor penetration rolls (strikes at initiative)
Zeal: Any unit within 12" of this commander gains the Furious Assault skill
Would that work with True Grit? (a marine would get 3 attacks on the charge at +1 strength and initiative)

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 30 May 2006, 21:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, if you don't want him beardy, why is he?

Only joking

Anyways, he seems a little overdone. Try this.
Take the stats of a normal Marine, make A=2 Ld=9, BS and WS=5, and W=2.

A non-beardy statline. Normal marine with some good training. Not a super-hero, but not a grot. He resides pleasently between two extremes.

I like the idea!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 30 May 2006, 21:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Being that he's supposed to be a Hero, I don't want him to be too nerfed, but he can't be too powerful wither, even I can see that. so far this is it
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
6 4 4 4 3 5 3 10 3+
Hammer of Flames: The embodiment of pride of this chapter, it confers +1 strength to the commander and allows him and additional d6 for armor penetration rolls (strikes at initiative)
Zeal: Any unit within 12" of this commander gains the Furious Assault skill

(Would that work with True Grit? A marine would get 3 attacks on the charge at +1 strength and initiative)

Quote:
Old 30 May 2006, 22:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Marines with true grit don't get an attack bonus for charging...the advantage is that marines with bolters always have an extra attack anyway (so you don't lose out if you're not the first to charge).

I like the skills though. Some people use special characters to lead small, elite retinues, but your man would be better at the head of a small legion of marines. If that's how you army works, then that is how you should make him.

By the way, who are the Deathguard? I thought you meant the Deathwatch at first, but then I slapped myself because marines of the Deathwatch don't have toughness 5! Although that might actually justify their outrageous cost...Are the Deathguard marines? Are they something I could incorporate into my marine army? Toughness 5 and power armour sounds very appealing...it'd make about as hard to kill as Terminators! Tell me more.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 May 2006, 22:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think the Zeal ability is a bit much.
Perhaps simply giving the ability to either

a) His own unit (easiest thing to do)

b) all MODELS within 6". Kinda complicated to work that one out.

Also anyone with True Grit doesn't get +1 attack for charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 30 May 2006, 22:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

his own units sounds good, but the point of that ability is to give the squad +1 attack and have true grit, I realize how powerful that is, so maybe it'll just be +1 strength and initiative on the charge rather than the additional attack (i.e. true grit with +1 S and I conferred onto his squad, called Zealous Fervor)

Quote:
Closed Thread