Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt Space Wolves List
Closed Thread
Old 26 May 2006, 13:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1500pt Space Wolves List

Saw some SW terminator accessories on forgeworld which got me thinking to resurrect my old Space Wolves. I came up with an "alternative" SW list, ie one that is not normally done. Figured i'd post it up, see the opinions it gets.

Venerable Dreadnought w/ tl lascannon, armour, smoke

this guy is pretty much mandatory for space wolves with his rules and such.

Wolf Guard Battle leader
assault cannon*
frost blade
terminator armour

*this guy can take an assault cannon, if i read the rules right. it specifically says WG battle leaders can take kit from either the arsenel or the wolf guard entry list. and the points costs might be off. i don't have the codex to hand.

4 Wolf Guard bodyguards
terminator armour
2 assault cannons
2 stormbolters
4 power fists

these guys run with the wolf guard battle leader for a powerful assault force.

6 Wolf Scouts
2 power weapons
meltagun
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
thunder hammer
bolt pistol
terminator homer

behind enemy lines. enough said. kill tanks. kill enemy squads holding back. and have a beacon for the wolf lord jimbob.

10 Grey Hunters.
2 power fists.
meltagun
Drop Pod

9 Grey Hunters
2 power fists
meltagun
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
power weapon
bolt pistol
Drop Pod

these guys are both close quarter units. I might swap out the non power fisties with bolters for a better shooty element though. its only 13pts after all! and as they "drop in" i can put them where they'll be of most use

2 Land Speeder tornados.
heavy bolters + assault cannons

anti infantry firepower.

Land Speeder w/ multi melta 65

these two are there for the speed and obvious lack of anti armour support in my army.

1498 pts. its experimental, but its a SW list thats not normally seen. points might be a bit off in places (i'm not sure on the battle leaders points for instance)

its a list that is very mobile, and can pack quite a bit of a punch with shooting and especially close combat. and most importantly, most units have the ability to not start on the board, which is a bonus for me against infiltrateable armies.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 26 May 2006, 13:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword
Default Re: 1500pt Space Wolves List

Good, well rounded and it may win a few

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 27 May 2006, 04:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Wolf Guard Battle leader
assault cannon*
frost blade
terminator armour

*this guy can take an assault cannon, if i read the rules right. it specifically says WG battle leaders can take kit from either the arsenel or the wolf guard entry list. and the points costs might be off. i don't have the codex to hand.
He can't actually take an Assault Cannon, since its not in the Armoury and can only be bought by the Wolf Guard themselves. And, just to clarify, WGBL don't pay WG prices for their items, they have to pay the higher prices like the other characters.

Quote:
4 Wolf Guard bodyguards
terminator armour
2 assault cannons
2 stormbolters
4 power fists

Typically Terminators aren't that effective in games under 2000 points, usually around the 1500 pts level you should aim for more troops. I recommend dropping these guys and going for more troops, since you're a bit light for those.

Quote:
6 Wolf Scouts
2 power weapons
meltagun
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
thunder hammer
bolt pistol
terminator homer
I like this squad, except for the Power Weapons. These are unnecessary as they'll use BEL to take out enemy tanks, and usually they won't have a chance to use the PW's on enemy models. Drop them in favour for Plasma Pistols to maximize your Tank Hunting. Oh and drop the Teleport Homer, since I'm fairly certain that WG Terms cannot Teleport in as it says in the codex that the whole army must arrive in drop pods so that the WG can Deepstrike, and I assume that they included the WG in that.

The last thing I have to say is that I'm not a fan of you using Drop Pods in such a small army, since you definitely don't want to have your army dropping in piecemeal. The forces that do start on the table will most likely be torn apart by focused fire, and when the troops finally drop in there might not be much left to help out with. With only the Landspeeders and the Dreadnaught starting on the table you won't have much left by Turn 2.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 27 May 2006, 07:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah, i'd be swapping the power weapons for plasma pistols. they're far more versatile. and as has been said, the teleport homer is redundant. wolves can't teleport

meh, not much else to add, really. the termies i guess are more of a style choice. they may or may not prove to be useful, i guess you'll find out. and i guess the lack of bloodclaws is along the same lines...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 29 May 2006, 11:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksteel
He can't actually take an Assault Cannon, since its not in the Armoury and can only be bought by the Wolf Guard themselves. And, just to clarify, WGBL don't pay WG prices for their items, they have to pay the higher prices like the other characters.

considering his entry states quite specifically that he can take kit from the armoury OR from the Wolf Guard entry in the codex, it is perfectly legal to take it. I know he pays standard IC prices though...

Quote:
Typically Terminators aren't that effective in games under 2000 points, usually around the 1500 pts level you should aim for more troops. I recommend dropping these guys and going for more troops, since you're a bit light for those.
only the Landspeeders and the Dreadnaught starting on the table you won't have much left by Turn 2.
Space Wolves to me are not a troop heavy army. I've seen plenty of awesomely effective lists with no more than a smatttering of troops, and the rest made up of vehicles. the termies are there for one reason: no space wolf player EVER takes terminators. can't blame them. 48pts each for a standard termie! But they're there to have a different look in the army. and termies can be extremely handy.

Quote:
I like this squad, except for the Power Weapons. These are unnecessary as they'll use BEL to take out enemy tanks, and usually they won't have a chance to use the PW's on enemy models. Drop them in favour for Plasma Pistols to maximize your Tank Hunting. Oh and drop the Teleport Homer, since I'm fairly certain that WG Terms cannot Teleport in as it says in the codex that the whole army must arrive in drop pods so that the WG can Deepstrike, and I assume that they included the WG in that.
what if i want to take out a broadside? tanks are valid targets, but so are 5 man devestator squads or 3 broadside squad teams.
and i put more faith in a power weapon than a plasma pistol. I've no intention of frying a 24pt model with carapace armour!
I take your point on the homer. forgot that rule somewhere.

Quote:
The last thing I have to say is that I'm not a fan of you using Drop Pods in such a small army, since you definitely don't want to have your army dropping in piecemeal. The forces that do start on the table will most likely be torn apart by focused fire, and when the troops finally drop in there might not be much left to help out with. With only the Landspeeders and the Dreadnaught starting on the table you won't have much left by Turn 2.
I've seen very solid SW lists with a "mere" 2 drop pods. And no offense, but you seem to think me incapable of hiding my wolfies behind cover and playing smart. Wolves seem to be defense oriented since 4th ed, so i'll be playing them as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
meh, not much else to add, really. the termies i guess are more of a style choice. they may or may not prove to be useful, i guess you'll find out. and i guess the lack of bloodclaws is along the same lines...
fluff, actually. grey hunters are the majority of a great company, not claws....

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 29 May 2006, 11:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah, i actually know that . been playing wolves for like 9 years now...however, fluff has rarely prevented anyone taking at least one squad of bloodclaws...

and no, he most definitely CANNOT take the assault cannon. FAQ'd

as for the power weapons in the scouts. 2 plasma pistols and 1 meltagun, plus a leader with a fist or hammer is a much more rounded choice than anything incorporating either power weapons or meltabombs. 1 melta shot and 2 plasma shots (3 if you want the leader to have a plasma pistol as well), followed by 4 thunder hammer attacks on the charge is sufficient to mess up just about any squad you can name, or any tank. 1 melta shot, on the other hand, followed by 6 power weapon attacks and 4 fist atacks isn't anywhere near as useful (3 hits from power weapons, 50/50 chance of wounding. compare that to the plasma...similar wound ratio, only the plasma can also take out the rear armour of tanks, is effective against targets with a toughness higher than 4, eg obliterators, so on and so forth. its a much, much better option. even with the 1/12 chance of frying a scout)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 29 May 2006, 17:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Behind Enemy Lines is too overrated. In the two battles I've used it, the squad was dead before turn three.

Anyway, I'd recommend using some Fenrisian Wolves to run along the WG and WGBL.

Have fun.
Old 29 May 2006, 23:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarseerSpacePuppy
Behind Enemy Lines is too overrated. In the two battles I've used it, the squad was dead before turn three.
in many of the games i've used it, the scouts have died within a turn or two of materialising behind my enemy. but jst about every time, it's been worth it. the amount of confusion and damage they can do is wonderful. its not about what they acheive immediately (although that can be devastating as well ), its about what they allow the rest of your army to acheive, and how they make your enemy squirm (he knows they're coming...so what's he gonna do in reaction??)

Old 30 May 2006, 00:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

one of my friends plays space wolves, and I was actually able to force him to stop using scouts against my tau without once pointing all my guns at them. but thats my little secret ;D

The ability to come in from reserves on your opponents side is cool, but after the first or second time doing it your opponent will figure out a way to stop them.
Old 30 May 2006, 08:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

trust me, i've done it!

Bloodied Fangs, i was actually forced to change my list. Saw the price of Forgeworld Drop pods (45 sterling each! No way!) and realised i had some rhinos as home. I'll use them, i'm thinking. might stick in some plasma pistols into the scouts after all.

And with regard to the WG battle leader. I was thinking of swapping his kit for some lightning claws or a frostblade + ccw.

interesting debate: frost blade or lightning claws? One wounds on a 3+ generally, the other re-rolls failed to-wounds.

Venerable Dreadnought w/ tl lascannon, armour, smoke

this guy is pretty much mandatory for space wolves with his rules and such.

Wolf Guard Battle leader
close combat weapon
frost blade
terminator armour

4 Wolf Guard bodyguards
terminator armour
2 assault cannons
2 stormbolters
4 power fists

6 Wolf Scouts
2 power weapons
meltagun
plasma pistol
Wolf Guard Pack Leader
thunder hammer
bolt pistol

behind enemy lines. enough said. kill tanks. kill enemy squads holding back. and have a beacon for the wolf lord jimbob.

10 Grey Hunters.
2 power fists.
meltagun
Rhino w/armour + smoke

10 Grey Hunters
2 power fists
meltagun
rhino w/armour + smoke

these guys are both close quarter units. I might swap out the non power fisties with bolters for a better shooty element though. its only 14pts after all! and as they "drop in" i can put them where they'll be of most use. rhinos are dodgy, buy i do have mobility anyway with them even if they are coffins!

2 Land Speeder tornados.
heavy bolters + assault cannons

anti infantry firepower.

these two are there for the speed and obvious lack of anti armour support in my army.

1501pts.

Closed Thread