Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

army Construction tips plz
Closed Thread
Old 15 May 2006, 02:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default army Construction tips plz

i have three friends, all three play nids, and they are the only 40k players for 110miles!(literally) so, i am building a SM 'nid-inator' army. what do you think would be the best approach for...um...well, nid-inating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 15 May 2006, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: army Construction tips plz

'Nid hunters

and 'Nid war veterans.
Old 15 May 2006, 02:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

war vets are ultra only right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 15 May 2006, 07:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah.. Id go for a strong solid firebase army, with 1 or 2 countercharge units!

perhaps 2 dev units, with heavy bolters. and one with 3 lascannons

some smaller tac units with las cannons and plasma.

a 6 man term unit, with 2 assault cannons

a dread or 2, one for combat, and one for fire support

a Librarian to finish stuff off (great for multiple wound unit killing)
Old 15 May 2006, 15:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Techmarine. Give him a servo harness and 4 gun servitors w/ heavy bolters. The unit will put out a lot of anit-infantry firepower. He'll need to destroy it, however once in combat (or at close range) the techmarine and his servo harness will really put out the hurt.

Just keep him away from monstrous creatures.

Other than that I agree with Appoclypticas suggestion of strong fire base + counter attack.

If you're using doctrines why not try Xenos hunters (or whatever its called to get Preffered enemy vs. Nids) and Trust your battle brothers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 15 May 2006, 15:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword

Dreadnoughts with Heavy Flamers

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 15 May 2006, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

this is my opinion if your playing lots of nids.

1) Whirlwinds - very cheap, you can easily make there points back. long range, you can kill lots of nids before they get close. indirect fire the low armour doesn't matter you can place it at the back out of site an keep on blasting the nids away

2)predator destuctors seem like they will work well, they wont. there armour is decent but you will almost certainly be facing lots of strength 10 shots which will at least stop them from shooting for most of the game. for this reason i wouldn't take any tanks save the WW.

3) devastator squads with heavy bolters or missile launcers work well. the heavy bolters are great for gaunts, warriors, lictors, gargoyles and all the smaller nids. The missile launchers are good at killing the bigger nids. also nids don't have much AP3 weapons so they will stay alive longer than tanks will.

4) in tactical squads flamers work well, and before people start saying you never get to use them because the nids always charge, flamers have a range of about 8" and you can move 6" before firing so it is possible to use them. flamers are lethal to gaunts enough said.

5) if you have any spare points powerfists in squads are really usefull. lets face it your gonna end up in combat with at least some of your squads and if a carnifex gets into a squad then your chances of killing i are almost none. a powerfist that cant be targeted can really damage fex's and since fex's don't have that many attacks providing you don't run you can have several rounds of atking with that powerfist and you have a decent chance of killing it.

6) Masters are invaluable. LD 10 really helps, the more squads that run away from combat the quicker nids can move on to new targets, the longer they stay in combat the longer the rest of your army can shoot.

7) dreads with heavy flamers and assault cannons are a pain for all nid players. just remember there not gonna last long in the open. keep them back and out of site if possible, move them out when the nids get close and use them as a counter atk. just don't expect them to beat fex's tyrants or any thing with rending in combat.

8 ) attack bikes with heavy bolters can be usefull as they can provide fire support were its needed. i don't suggest land speeders as theres too many st 10 weapons that glance far to easily and will really hurt speeders.
Old 15 May 2006, 16:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just on the powerfist in squad note:

If you have the points make them thunder hammers. Really useful against the high intiative hive tyrant, to have it in subesquent rounds stirking at the same speed as the thunder hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 15 May 2006, 16:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

good point i should have though of that.
Old 15 May 2006, 17:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxt0mxXx
4) in tactical squads flamers work well, and before people start saying you never get to use them because the nids always charge, flamers have a range of about 8" and you can move 6" before firing so it is possible to use them. flamers are lethal to gaunts enough said.
I agree about the flamers, I've put them to good use with my Terminators many a time. Debus out of a Land Raider with heavy flamer armed Terminators and you're going to cause some real mayhem. But they're an expensive way to get heavy flamers up close. A better idea than that is to give your tactical squads Rhinos or Razorbacks with heavy bolters. Either vehicle gives you a bit more firepower and allows you to shift it twelve inches out, then debus and let rip. Even bolters are effective against Tyranids, especially Gaunts, but that flamer will really chew things up.

Perhaps some scout sniper teams would come in handy for gunning down the big beasts? They're not massively expensive and depending on whether or not your opponents like to use a lot of monsterous creatures, they could be a life saver.

If you're really dedicated to making an Anti-Tyranid Space Marine task force then I would suggest some forge world bits. A couple drop pods would be dead handy for getting your Dreadnoughts into the enemy lines; a siege Dreadnought kit (or two) would make them fire-breathing, armoured monsters; and a Prometheus would be a fantastic horde slaying titan (you can take it as a transport option for any space marine command squad, including the Terminator flavour).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread