Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Terminators
Closed Thread
Old 13 May 2006, 15:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword
Default Terminators

Whats better, Assult or normal Terminators because i dont know which to get.

Any advice is welcome, please

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 13 May 2006, 15:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Terminators

Most people use termies for their assult cannons. My advice is to go CC and save the assult cannons for Land Speeders, who have the manueverability to use them to the greatest extent. Plus, termies are some of the only units with access to the chainfist, the REAL powermackral.
Old 13 May 2006, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

As with most units, the different flavours of Terminator's each have their own favoured target. Fitting out Terminators with a couple assault cannons and the 'Tank Hunters' special skill make them the stuff bad dreams are made of for tank crews (especially when coupled with the ability to teleport into the rear armour quarter of their quarry and let rip immediately upon their arrival). Terminators with heavy flamers, chainfists and the 'Furious Charge' special skill are excellant when deployed from a Land Raider. It's dead handy being able to deploy a couple heavy flamers into close range with a large enemy unit (plus you'll have a handful of storm bolters to mop up the survivors). This unit can also be put to good effect against vehicles, but only if you can get them up close (transport is a must). Furious Charge and four Chainfists will give you 12 strength 10 attacks that roll 2D6 for armour penetration.

Alternatively, assault Terminators kitted out all round with lightning claws, granted the 'Furious Charge' special skill and led by a Chaplain are a force to be reckoned with. Disgorge them into the enemy lines from a Crusader and they're going to push out 17 strength 5, initiative 5 attacks with no armour save. You'll be able to re-roll missed rolls to hit and failed rolls to wound. Think of the mayhem...but they'll be no good against armour or in a shooting battle. Chances are they'll function as a one-shot weapon in most normal length games, you'll really have to deploy them against high-value targets.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 13 May 2006, 18:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Assault terminators are hard to use, while they can tear up basically anything in the game, if they get stranded without a transport or DP too far off, or the enemy has his squads spread out, you probably wont get the full effect out of them.

Regular terminators are still good in assault but are able to pack assault cannons (the more you can take the better, amazing weapon) and storm bolters so they are rarely unable to hurt the enemy.
Old 13 May 2006, 21:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I would go with regular Terminators. They actually have guns and still pack those power fists for close combat. Much of the time I dont think there would even be good targets for assault terminators and without any ranged abilities its too easy for them to get stranded, they have to get in cc to do anything and doing that isnt easy without them getting killed. If you have a good use for them already and know how to use them fine but otherwise I would stick to the regular kind which pack great guns and great bashing tools and can almost always hurt the enemy in some way be it in cc or in shooting so the enemy cant just try and strand them like they can assault terminators the termies have to die for regular ones to be stopped.

Old 13 May 2006, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Most people use termies for their assult cannons. My advice is to go CC and save the assult cannons for Land Speeders, who have the manueverability to use them to the greatest extent. Plus, termies are some of the only units with access to the chainfist, the REAL powermackral.
I would say terminators were pretty manouverable, after all, they can move and shoot with heavy weapons, deep strike etc...

In answer to the first question, depends on what you're army is, do you have a list?

You could always magnetise them and get the best of both worlds...
Old 14 May 2006, 01:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primarch
I would say terminators were pretty manouverable, after all, they can move and shoot with heavy weapons, deep strike etc...
What Vash is saying is that once initially deployed and after they've murdered everything within reach, assault Terminators without transport become redundant. Normal Termies have no problem because as you said: they can shoot with heavy weapons and still move, which greatly improves their usefulness and reach. The ability to deep strike just puts them where they need to be...what then?

[quote=Primarch]
You could always magnetise them and get the best of both worlds...

The guy's on a budget, he can't afford to buy both box sets. Where's he gonna get the arms? If he could afford both box sets then he could merrily build both types anyway!

Anyway, I agree that
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 14 May 2006, 01:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the only time I take assault terminators is in my deathwing army, and always with a landraider crusader for transport. its worthless to deepstrike them or drop pod them because then your opponent on their turn will just either move his units away so that you can't attack, charge you to deny you the charge (mostly khorne or nid armies, don't think I'll be seeing the tau do this...ever) or just blast you apart so that they don't have to worry about them. as far as on foot, well 6" a turn is way too slow compared to a lot of the armies out there, and by the time you are close enough to get in to hand to hand, you won't have much of the unit left if any.

as far as shooting termies goes, a five man squad with 2 assault cannons is always good. and thats wether you deep strike, drop pod, or just have them walking. as long as the last 2 models in the unit are your assault cannon guys they will almost always make their points back and then some.

but just remember wether you are taking shooty or assault terminators, terrain is always your friend. unless theres a lictor hidden in it, but even then.
Old 14 May 2006, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

And don't overlook the tank hunters special skill. For only 15 points more you can effectively upgrade your assault cannons to strength 7 weapons for the purposes of tank busting...coupled with the rending ability they'll be able to handle anything.
Old 14 May 2006, 23:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

And strength 5 storm bolters, don't forget that.

Also, assault terminators are absolutely horrible against mechanized forces. Mech tau, raider heavy dark eldar, saim-hain eldar would all run circles around assault terminators, where as normal terms could shred up their tanks with assault cannons.
Closed Thread