Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

3 dread +drop pods
Closed Thread
Old 12 May 2006, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 3 dread +drop pods

im thinking about taking 3 basic dread with extra armour and drop pods this cost 420 pts, what do you think.
Old 12 May 2006, 22:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: 3 dread +drop pods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxt0mxXx
I'm thinking about taking 3 basic dread with extra armour and drop pods this cost 420 pts, what do you think.
Could you provide some more info, do you play vanilla or a chapter? Are you shooty or closecombat? Who are you usually going to be playing against, then we can help you more.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 12 May 2006, 23:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Guessing that you have 3k of marines you are using 3 dreds for a 1500 point list.

If that is the only thing you are going to drop pod, I guess that makes for an interesting game.

Take Assault Cannon /DCCW Heavy Flamer

And have them support your assault troops.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 14 May 2006, 12:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Shadowsword

I suggest use only 2 because it narrows the cost, unless your up agasist nids or orks, then throw 3 in and cause a huge distraction

Triple Threat x

Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them They die

I am the sig virus, add me to your sig so I can spread.
Old 14 May 2006, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I mainly play witha group of friends and we play alot, we all know each others armys well. i was thinking that this would make a game much more interesting and unsual since no ones used drop pods before. I play againts nids, IW, WB,EC,sisters, necrons, and SM. mostly MEQs but that doesnt bother me i play with lots of plasma. i think i might give them heavy flamers though.
Old 14 May 2006, 22:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's a great idea...I love Dreadnaughts. I've always wanted to take three, but I've never been able to rationalise such expenditure. I always take two (Vorn and Silas) and swap out their weapons depending upon the enemy I expect to encounter and my other unit types. I think that even two Dreadnaughts is an expensive luxury because they're not as well armed or armoured as Predators and yet cost much the same. They're slower too. But drop podding them in sounds like a great idea...assuming you can lay your hands on three drop pods. Aren't they due for release by Games Workshop some time this summer? What I think sets Dreadnaughts appart from their tracked counterparts is their ability to charge into close combat and really cause mayhem. Because they're walkers, in combat they always show their front armour facing irrespective of the physical position of the enemy which means that they're impervious to harm from anything lacking anti-tank weapons (such as melta bombs) or a strength greater than five. This means that most troops can't touch a Dreadnaught in close combat and even one casualty will mean they lose the combat, very possibly subjecting themselves to a sweeping advance! Drop podding them in will allow you to assault immediately upon arrival (putting heavy flamers to good work at the same time) while the redundant pods block line of sight to that vulnerable rear armour quarter!

It's a great idea, I love it! What's more, now I want to do it myself!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 14 May 2006, 23:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Edit: Double post, very sorry, accidentally hit back instead of edit.
Old 14 May 2006, 23:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think it has potential. The sheer psychological effect of 3 dreadnaughts showing up in the midst of the enemy is enough for a few laughs or getting your opponent off gaurd. Just remember to mourn accordingly if all 3 die, since most SM chapters have less than 10 dreadnaughts in their entire army.
Old 15 May 2006, 16:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

i'd be tempted, im workin on an army of six dreads in drop pods, two units of scouts, librarian with jump pack and 2 l-speeder tornados, ill put the list up one day

Old 17 May 2006, 17:50   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The biggest problem that you will hear about the idea of 3 Dreads in an army is that it is a huge point sink for 3 wounds. Look at it this way. Will 3 Dreads make back the 420 points that you are spending on them?

My suggestion to this discussion would be to run 2 dreadnaughts.

Dreadnaught 1 (Long Range) (143)
Twin Linked Lascannon
Missle Launcher
Extra Armor + Smoke Launcher

Dreadnaught 2 (The Butcher) (163)
Assault Cannon
Venerable
Extra Armor + Smoke Launcher
Drop Pod

Total 306
In a 1500 point army this equils a 20.5% distribution.

Now you send in Butcher with a drop pod where he can be supported by the rest of your army. I would suggest a flank. Then you walk in Long Range with your troops blasting as you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezart Fox
i'd be tempted, im workin on an army of six dreads in drop pods, two units of scouts, librarian with jump pack and 2 l-speeder tornados, ill put the list up one day
I would caution this. I seen a battle report of an army much like this that got butchered by Eldar.

This discussion and the one on Terminators is my fear. I just hate putting my faith in 1 - 5 units as opposed to 15 - 20. It's the law of numbers.

If you have fun doing it though rock on.

Closed Thread