Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I have just started collecting marines and I need help! (Black Templar)
Closed Thread
Old 09 May 2006, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default I have just started collecting marines and I need help! (Black Templar)

OK i have had my battle for Mc Craig and a few minis my friend gave me sitting around for a while so i though i might as well assemble and paint some miniatures. I hunkered down and got painting my Marines in Black Templar colors! Once i was done i decided that this was an army i would like to collect so here i am! I was wondering what i should get next?
I currently have
-7 space marines with bolters
-1 space marine with flamer
-1 space marine with a bazooka
-1 space marine with a big jet pack thingy (i am probably going to be converting it into a jet pack commander)
-1 emperor's champion (converted model)

So what should i get next? I was thinking of maybe getting a dreadnaught and the codex.
All help is appreciated!

Old 09 May 2006, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: I have just started collecting marines and I need help! (Black Templar)

Well you cant go wrong with the battleforce or mega force you save some money there. Deffinetly get the codex. I would add more marines and form everything you have into a working squad first. The battleforce comes with 15 marines, a command squad and a razorback, the mega force also comes with a commander and terminator squad so it gives you a good starting place.

Old 09 May 2006, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: I have just started collecting marines and I need help! (Black Templar)

Uber Basics:

Excellent troop choice: 6 Marines, Las cannon and plasma gun. Tailor to suit.

Lascannon-decked out Predators are good.

Devestators with 4x HBolters and 4 more ablative wounds are great horde removal

Land Speeder Tornado, Hbolter and Assault Cannon is awesome for medium infantry.

Terminators are good, 2x Assault cannons are usually the best choice. Don't bring to many assault cannons though, it comes across as beardy. More than 6 in 2,000 points is... questionable.

HQ ought to be decent. Try not to make him a point sink.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 10 May 2006, 12:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I might be getting a land speeder off one of my friends if he can find it, so i was wondering what the best setup for them is?
Old 10 May 2006, 14:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I would say heavy bolter and assault cannon, that gives you a very nice anti infantry platform and with the rending the possibility to take out tanks. However if you want more anti tank you could give the multi melta a try.

Old 10 May 2006, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primarch

Or you could be smart and buy the typhoon.

All the tornadoes weapons are 24 inch range, meaning that they are with range of almost all light arms fire, and with armour 10 that aint good, you may kill one or two more guys, but you will be shot down in the next turn.

The typhoon on the other hand is cheaper in points and will last longer as it can keep out of range of all those nasty str 4 guns, I run two in my Templar army and they have never failed me yet.

Naturally, if you expose them too heavy weapons fire it doesnt matter which pattern you choose the speeder is going down, just be sure to have them always moving 12'', glancing hits only FTW.

Old 10 May 2006, 23:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Well. To begin with I would get an Space Wolf battleforce.
You'll get 20 marines, and enough close combat weapons to go around. (The standard SM battle/mega force lacks enough chainswords and bolt pistols).
It also contains a rhino and 3 bikes.
The razorback is nigh useless to the templar. Not enough room to transport them
forth in an effective enough way. The rhino is the best choice.
Also bikes are great for BT. Especially when they can field 3 special weapons in each squad. 3 plasmaguns with an effective range of 36' is hell to any opponent. (12 for movement+24 range). Fill up an entire bike squad and add an attack bike. And they are ready to wreak havoc.
Further, I would buy a couple of boxes of SM scouts to make some neophytes.
And a nice touch would be to use a couple of predators or a crusader to fill in the
lack of heavy support.
It all depends on what gaming style you have.
Old 11 May 2006, 12:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Devestators with 4x HBolters and 4 more ablative wounds are great horde removal
not really useful for BT though...

start with the BT codex, and a BT battleforce.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 11 May 2006, 19:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Whirlwinds are a requirement.
Old 11 May 2006, 19:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlarge
Whirlwinds are a requirement.
I don't think the templars can take whirlwinds. The new BT codex stated that.

As everyone here says, you can't go wrong with the battleforce. The Space wolves one seems very rare this days(at least that's what all the vets in my area says) so go with the normal one. The razorback can be conveted into a rhino with just a few monor adjustments.

Get the lascannons. They will be one of your only anti-tank guys. get termis to, CC ones. They suit tghe fluff and they are deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Closed Thread