Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Assault Squad Sergeant
Closed Thread
Old 08 May 2006, 08:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Assault Squad Sergeant

I'm trying to come up with a good veteran sergeant for my second assault squad. I want to make him something of a close combat monster. I'm thinking about giving him a power fist and artificer armour but what else should I give him? I need suggestions.
Old 08 May 2006, 08:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Assault Squad Sergeant

pair of lightning claws, termy honours at the very least
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 08 May 2006, 08:52   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Power Fist would make him brutal indeed, providing he&#39;s got enough men to take any licks that would come his way.

Power weapon or Lightning Claw(s) make a good choice for slicing up T4 or less opponents... even T5 guys really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 May 2006, 10:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Power Fist would make him brutal indeed, providing he&#39;s got enough men to take any licks that would come his way.

Power weapon or Lightning Claw(s) make a good choice for slicing up T4 or less opponents... even T5 guys really.
its always a powerfist, man. that way you don&#39;t get screwed by independednt characters or dreanoughts. these 2 are an ill-equipped assault squad&#39;s worst nightmare
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn&#39;t try it on" Billy Connolly

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it&#39;s chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don&#39;t like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can&#39;t take a joke" The Glass House
Old 08 May 2006, 11:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would also suggest a Powerfist, the best thing to take down big creatures.
Also Artificer armour on a Veteran Sergeant is way too expensive.
Old 08 May 2006, 13:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm. Seems I have a green light on the power fist at least. What more should he have? Storm bolter, bolt pistol?
Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can&#39;t feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight.
Old 08 May 2006, 13:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Powerfist and bolt pistol. It&#39;s cheap and effective, he really doesn&#39;t need anything else. If you&#39;re absolutley SWIMMING in extra points maybe mastercraft the Pfist, but I wouldn&#39;t. Keep his second weapon as a bolt pistol since he gets it for free and it gives him +1 attack.

If you feel like it a thunder hammer is another option, not really much more expesnive but useful for dealing with mounstrous creatures or dreadnoughts in drawn out combats, and they look great!

(Seriously what&#39;s scaryier? A big glove or a hammer that explodes on impact?)
Falstead, you&#39;re a genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can&#39;t Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 08 May 2006, 13:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah...thunderhammers modeled onto models in power armor are AWESOME...and very intimidating. Hell, you could even lie to the chaos players and tell em it&#39;s a daemon hammer &gt;...as long as you don&#39;t actually play it as one when the time comes.
Due to an error in translation, the isolated colony of T&#39;ves&#39;kal&#39;dai mistakenly worshiped the greater goose for seven generations. Reeducation efforts continue.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 08 May 2006, 14:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I usually give him a plasma pistol to go along with the two in the squad. that way you can fire on any unit as your attacking and have a reasonable expectation of at least 2-3 wounds with no save possible. works really good against terminators and marines.

other than that the power fist is a given.
Old 09 May 2006, 11:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the power fist is good at that sort of thing yes, BUT, when you think about it, the rest of the squad are geared for basic troop type taker-outering, pistols and chainswords give lots of attacks and are good vs troop units, if you pick a power fist he isn&#39;t really fitting in with the rest of the unit, pistols and chainswords are not really at best possible use against the kind of units you need a power fist for (admittedly the ol&#39; "they have to fail some of them" can work, but my point still stands)

a pair of lightning claws is best possible use, because then the serg fits in with the rest of his units style of combat

pistols+chainswords etc. = many attacks -&gt; good vs inf.
pistols+power fists/hammers = few high strength attacks -&gt; good vs big enemies

so naturally lightning claws fit as they are practically the same as the pistol+ccw style while allowing wound re-rolls and ignore armour
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Closed Thread