Terminator plan and simple
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2006, 14:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Terminator plan and simple

I just wrote this on a different board I hope it helps

Terminators should always come in squads of 6 as for weapons

Heavy flamer not normaly worth it your rarely going to get into range to use them unless you deep strike and I would only consider taken if I'm faceing Eldar or their dark kin.

Assault cannons theses are your best choice great for takening out almost anything and tau just hate them. spiting out 8 S6 shots and if your going to take tank hunter it becomes a nightmare to any armoured force.

Cyclone missilie launcher I perfer these over the assault cannon (my last army had 7 assault cannons in it) it's the same as a missile launcher but on a termie you can fire your storm bolter as well so the load out of a cyclone squad can be better than an assault cannon squad. it also has a better chance of takening out tanks that the assault cannon does.

Next your targets

the key rule is to avoid fighting the cannon fodder!

Find a target and take it out. think big go for their elites choices, their heavy tanks. If your fighting agenst guard, Eldar, tau or orks aim for their HQ's for the other armies that would be a bad idea. prey on the weak make sure that you know your going to kill what your aiming at and always have a plan B.....

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 07 May 2006, 16:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Terminator plan and simple

the only exception to the 6 man squad is to take a 5 man if drop podding, or if given a land raider for transport.

and as for taking out tanks, for armor 10 - 12 they roughly have the same percent chance of taking out a vehicle, but when you get to armor 13 and 14 you actually have a better chance with the assault cannon (you know with the more shots, and the rending rule) its not a lot higher percentage wise, but it is there. the main advantage the cyclone has over the assault cannon is the range available to it. with twice the range of an assault cannon you have more chances to take that vehicle out.

other wise good job. now if you could do a comparative with the assault termie squads?
Old 07 May 2006, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

Thanks man

I've never acterly played with terminators this is just what I've picked up from advice given to me. I would chose 6 because I just hate takeing odd numbers to the battle feild and you can still deep strike them via teleport.

KQD

Cyclone's Rock! :P
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 07 May 2006, 22:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well one of my armies is deathwing so I kinda have a lot of experience with terminators. they are actually my favorite army.

you should really give them a try though, lots of fun. just don't take them in less than a 1500 pt game or if you are playing deathwing also. lots of points in one place.
Old 07 May 2006, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Deathwing is cool, they are on my possible list for a new SM army.

I reccomend doing 5 man teams, cheaper and basicly just a good.

I also like the CML because you still get the Storm Bolter AND Power Fist. So for a five man squad you get two Missle Launcher shots, 10 Storm Bolter shots, 4 powerfists, and one power sword. Think of the distrucion!
Old 07 May 2006, 22:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ah, the age old argument over wether to take 5 or 6 men. I personally take the 6 unless I'm drop podding or putting a unit in a land raider. but thats because you have to kill one more man in the squad to make it so they can't hold objectives etc,.

however I do see the validity to taking a 5 man squad. it allows you to field more heavies in your army. so basically it comes down to personal preference.

I personally have 2500 pts worth of deathwing right now, which includes 2 dreadnoughts, 1 land raider crusader, 8 assault terminators, a librarian (converted), a chaplain, and 22 terminators. 2 of which have cyclone missiles and 3 have assault cannons.
Old 08 May 2006, 08:54   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Why 6? Why not 7? or 8? What it so wrong with 9? I've found 10 can be devastating when used right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 May 2006, 12:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

because while 10 is cool as heck, its also over 500 points. lets say we were to play a 1000 pt game. thats two squads and no master/chaplain/librarian. its not even a legal army. usually I cry foul at minimum sized squads, and to be honest if I ever played deathwing in a 6 to 8 thousand point battle I would use nothing but 10 man squads (mmmm..... beefy). but with the high cost of a deathwing army, it just makes common sense to run 5 or 6 man squads. otherwise you don't have the points for the dreadnoughts or leaders of your army.

in a 1000 pt game I run a chaplain, 2 six man squads, and 2 dreadnoughts. the only reason I take the second dread is I don't have enough points for another full unit, and I love my dreads ;D .
Old 08 May 2006, 14:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I take squads of 8-10 when fielding them in a DA army...but for DW, you're so handicapped as it is that you need every little bit of advantage you can scrape together, starting with maximizing your heavy weapons density. With 5 models, you are nonscoring after 3 casuaties. With 6, you are nonscoring after 4. Big difference, but still a min squad.

For deathwing, I take one termie libby with assaulty termies in a crusader, two antitank and one plasma dread, then fill out the rest with 6-man squads, alternating between assault cannon squads and cyclone squads. And I don't play with fewer than 1500 points. A tank hunting venerable dread with TLLC/ML is almost required to play DW...but when a basic dread costs only as much as 2.5 termies...I'll take 2 dreads over 5 termies any day, hence the maxed out elites choices.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread