Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Honor Guard in other Chapters...?
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2006, 06:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The Honor Guard in other Chapters...?

* I have a question about the Honor Guard units; Can other space marine chapters use honor guards in there tactical/devastator/command squads...?* Because if all space marine chapters, (other that Ultramarines) can use Honor Guard, then that would be awesome, and would also really help me out right now in planning my army.* Because in the codex it shows thee "Ultramarine HonorGuard Command Squad", with the Ancient, Champion (who is much better than normal chapter champions), and the rest being Honor Guards.* What I want to know is if I can use the HonorGuard space marines in my Blood Templars army, without making them a command squad, and that obviously wouldn't have the Ancient and Champion profiles of the Ultramarine Command squad. The Codex really doesn't tell you if other space marine chapters can use Honor Guards or not...

Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07 May 2006, 07:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Honor Guard in other Chapters...?

no, they are a ultasmurf unit only if Im not wrong. and looking through the codex a quickie, it states that I am right.. "one command unit in a ultramarine army may be upgraded to honour guards" or something like that..

and for the second part, it wouldnt be right, fluffwise to use em in other chapters. Since they come with axes of ultramar and a banner of macragge. I dont think that the ultramarines would allow other chapters to use those items!
Old 07 May 2006, 08:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

no fluffwise there are chapters with honor guards just look at blood angels

feel free to use them if you stay true to the teachings of the Index astres howveer if not it's illeagal (same goes for nid hunters)

"His name doesn't make any sense! How can you be a commander, Aun AND volenteer at the same time!?!"

translated parts of suspicous conversation about the Mal'caor'la 8.05.10990
Old 07 May 2006, 08:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i would say no.....

officially you cant. i would let you if you had NO traits but if you had traits then no way

if you had the traits that make your tactical squads better in close combat (like 2 weapons) then it would be WAY to overpowered

but if you were striaght codex then i think it would be cool. just tell someone who complained that "they are ultrmarines in different colors" because colors are up to the player

Old 07 May 2006, 10:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The unit is called "Ultramarines honour guard".. that should be a nice hint,

well, for a exact quote in the 4:ed rule book, for which GW hold all rights!

"one command squad in an Ultramarines army may be made up of Ultramarines Honour Guards."

the only way to incorporate a "honour guard" in other armies (except blood angels) is to use the regular command unit and convert..

But in no way, and in no tournaments will you be allowed to use a homemade honour guard with the same rules and equip as the ultramarines honour guards / blood angels honour guards, in other armies then the appointed in codex!
Old 07 May 2006, 11:12   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Why not take a Vet. Squad, paint 'em up real ornate and such and call them an Honour Guard?
Old 07 May 2006, 12:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Space Wolves have a sort of honor guard. What else do you call nine Vikings in tactical dreadnought armor?
Old 07 May 2006, 15:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think what Vulcan was asking was whether he could have honour guard who are assigned to different squads, rather than being all in a single unit.

In answer to that, the only way to legally do it is to use UMs or SW rules.

But here are some ways around it:
  • model them, but don't give them special rules; they're just tactical marines who look different
  • make the veteran sergeant an honour guard guy
  • upgrade one marine in each squad to be a Deathwatch veteran
  • take veteran squads, call them tactical squads, but give one guy a power weapon/ fist/ claws and call him the honour guard guy

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 08 May 2006, 12:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Are Ultramarines only units avalible to Ultramarine successors? Novamarines for example?
Old 08 May 2006, 13:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're playing an Ultramarine army you can use Honour Guard. However an Ultramarine army is just a straight up Space Marine army. They don't get any special rules. So if you want to use honour guard for another chapter then yes, you can do it, since it's just a difference of Colour Scheme. You would however have to convert the exisiting Honour Guard Models to removed all the Ultramarine Iconography and paint them in your chapter colours.

This would make the most sense in a Marine Successor chapter. So it'd be perfectly acceptable to do this for the Nova Marines, for example.

Though you might have to come up with a some fluff justification for this to satisfy more die-hard players it shouldn't be too hard.

I.e.

They're sucsseors of the Ultramarines and the honour guard works for them...

Oh one final note, the banner of Macgragge and Axes of Ultramar would need name changes of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread