Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dreadnought tactics
Closed Thread
Old 06 May 2006, 18:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Dreadnought tactics

Can anyone direct me to a good tactical walk-through about the Dreadnought? I keep getting mine blown to pieces by my friends Obliterators. I have tried some different configurations regarding weaponry and upgrades but usually with the same sad results.
Old 06 May 2006, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Re: Dreadnought tactics

Well the problem is the Obiliterators, not the Dreadnought. You need something to take them out. But I've never fought obliterators, so I cant help.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 06 May 2006, 22:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr
Can anyone direct me to a good tactical walk-through about the Dreadnought? I keep getting mine blown to pieces by my friends Obliterators. I have tried some different configurations regarding weaponry and upgrades but usually with the same sad results.
Hey man,

Dreadnoughts are walkers, which are normal vehicles in terms of penetration rules; and therefore, anything with a lascannon can put it down, really fast. There's not much you can do about that. Lascannons bust armor; it's what they're for. Dreadnoughts are not as resilient as normal tac marines. Dreadnoughts blow up to single hits. They're resilient only to small arms fire and most things in combat; but in the shooting phase, it doesn't take much to break a Dreadnought.

There's two ways you can keep your Dreadnought alive longer:

I. Blocking line of sight - but this also means, you probably won't see anything either.
II. Make sure there's a far more attractive target to shoot at - meaning, not the dreadnought.

Things to think about:

Blocking convenient Line of Sight - Sometimes, you just need to block line of sight to one squad, or one vehicles, which has an anti-tank gun pointed at you. If you have other non-skimmer vehicles, you can position your Dreadnought to remain in their shadow and attempt to hide from those anti-tank guns while still having some sight for yourself on other units, to keep active. This is not easy to do; but it's something to consider if you use rhinos often. Wrecks, for example, still block line of sight.

Cover - Cover is something you should always try to use. Your dreadnought would be an obscured target if you can keep it half in cover. That means, 50% chance to be glance-only, which is a huge improvement over being straight up penetrable. You're much harder to destroy on the glance chart. You can do this with terrain, other vehicles and wrecks. Just hug something size 3 basically.

Drop Pods - This one is simple. Most people use Drop Pods on their Dreadnoughts because it eliminates those two turns of "doing nothing" on the dreadnought in deployment other than being shot down. The Drop Pod allows you to put your Dreadnought up close, and hide it. And then when you can move, it comes out and fires and enters assault if possible.

Making yourself less Attractive - Dreadnoughts are high priority targets if you're running around with twin-linked lascannons and missiles. Venerable ones especially. That's something your opponent sees, knows it's dangerous, and knows that it's easily destroyed. So you will lose this dreadnought typically right away against most armies who would be likely to take damage from such a weapon. If your weapon was less "scary" you would instantly be less likely to be a target, compared to other things under your control. Examples would be heavy bolters, autocannons, etc. Assault cannons are actually "priority" targets often now sadly.

Presenting more attractive Targets - Really, your dreadnought would be shot at less, if there was something more scary on the board. A predator for example. Anything with armor that is more dangerous than the dreadnought will be picked off a lot sooner. In general the more attractive other things are, the less worry you have on your dreadnought.

Expect to lose the Dreadnought - Dreadnoughts are priority targets because they're easily destroyed, worth good victory points and have a big gun attached usually. We call it a glass cannon. Expect to lose your dreadnought basically. However, while playing use it in a manner that hopefully will allow you to make some use of it before it's destroyed. This would involve you taking measures to keep it hidden in deployment and to allow it to move out to shoot, instead of starting out in the shooting phase. You can easily hide behind an enemy tank or even a rhino, and avoid line of sight, then take line of sight on your turn. Perhaps try playing a little more defensively with it.

-- If you're fighting Chaos and an Obliterator is knocking out your Dreadnought all the time, consider trying to hide your dreadnought, and try to take out the Obliterator first; then let your Dreadnought walk. Easier said than done of course, but it's better than just putting your dreadnought front and center and waiting to eat the shot.

-- In the end though; your dreadnought will survive only as long as your opponent allows it. So don't expect too much from it. Marines are more resilient, way more resilient, and they can get the same firepower generally, so think of it as an expendable unit. And also think of it like this: if your buddy is knocking out your dreadnought instead of your marines, then you got a great fire magnet and you can keep your other units longer... kind of like the sacrificial lamb.

Cheers!
Old 06 May 2006, 22:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you very much! I'll try and follow these advices.