[hr]

Army force composition: 100%
1 HQ @ 118 points: 8%
6 Troops @ 630 points: 42%
2 Fast Attack @ 412 points: 28%
2 Heavy Support @ 340 points: 22%

65 Power Armoured models in the army
10 scoring units in the army

I wanted to create a list that would look like a company of Space Marines, I think I have done a good job.
I mean that I want to recreate the 'standard' Codex Chapter in the Codex. It looks like this:

Captain
6 Tactical squads
2 Assault squads
2 Devastator squads

Look in the codex on page 68 and you know what I mean.

I am really interested in your ideas and comments about this list. Also the most important thing would be:
Would this list work?

So let's hear your helpful ideas, comments and suggestions about this list, everything is welcome!
Old 05 May 2006, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1500 points Space Marines Company

I dont think it would if you come up against a good iron warrior army you would be blown to
peaces, indirect weapons weapons would do the job. i would drop 2 of the 95pt tacticals and make the other tacticals bigger. also i would drop one of the assalt squads and get 2 tornados mm hf the best combo not in a squad though. maybe the master for a libbi with fear of the dark and a jump pack
send him off with the assalt squad.
Old 05 May 2006, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetta
I dont think it would if you come up against a good iron warrior army you would be blown to
peaces, indirect weapons weapons would do the job. i would drop 2 of the 95pt tacticals and make the other tacticals bigger. also i would drop one of the assalt squads and get 2 tornados mm hf the best combo not in a squad though. maybe the master for a libbi with fear of the dark and a jump pack
send him off with the assalt squad.
First, as you could have read I designed the list to recreate the 'Standard Codex Company layout'
So that means no Landspeeders and Librarians. As I said in the post, only a

Captain,
6 Tactical squads,
2 Assault squads and
2 Devastator squads will be put in the army.

Second, shooting squads work better when they are small sized, so there is no need to make them bigger.
Opposite of that, assault squads work better when they are bigger.

And last, please watch your spelling, there is a Spell Check button, better use it.
I am sorry if I come over as harsh, that would not have been my intention. 8)
Old 05 May 2006, 17:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

while your attempt at being fluffy (following the codex company) is admirable, you fail when you try to min/max. every company consists of 100 men, thus in a chapter with 10 companies you have a thousand marines. now considering that every company also has a chaplain, master, apothecary, and a standard bearer, that leaves 96 (95 if you consider that each company would probably also have at least one techmarine). however point wise that is going to be way too expensive, so for a fluff army you should drop a squad or two and take the rest of them up to ten. and for a more competitive army, I would drop a unit or two and buy some tanks, landspeeders or something else. besides it says that every company also keeps enough rhinos for each squad, and every company has several vehicles for that company to use. the exception being the land raider (and crusader variant) which is only usable by the first company.
Old 05 May 2006, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
while your attempt at being fluffy (following the codex company) is admirable, you fail when you try to min/max. every company consists of 100 men, thus in a chapter with 10 companies you have a thousand marines. now considering that every company also has a chaplain, master, apothecary, and a standard bearer, that leaves 96 (95 if you consider that each company would probably also have at least one techmarine). however point wise that is going to be way too expensive, so for a fluff army you should drop a squad or two and take the rest of them up to ten. and for a more competitive army, I would drop a unit or two and buy some tanks, landspeeders or something else. besides it says that every company also keeps enough rhinos for each squad, and every company has several vehicles for that company to use. the exception being the land raider (and crusader variant) which is only usable by the first company.
I didn't really say I wanted to recreate the Standard Codex Company layout. That would far exceed 1500 points. I just wanted to build an army list that looks like this:

Captain,
6 Tactical squads,
2 Assault squads and
2 Devastator squads

Those squads don't have to number 10 Marines. The fact that they are smaller could be because of casualties and the fact that replacements aren't available at the moment.
Also shooting squads work better when they are small sized, so there is no need to make them bigger.
Opposite of that, assault squads work better when they are bigger.

All infantry based armies can be very competitive. This army contains 65 Marines with a 3+ save.
Most enemies won't be able to take them all down. Also this army contains a lot of firepower.
I have tried some similar lists and have won a great deal of games. In this army I don't want to take any tanks or vehicles. You either take no vehicles or you take a lot of them.

I would rather hear replies about the army composition than about the reason of this list.

So if anybody has some suggestions, ideas or comments about the list, please let's hear your ideas!
Old 05 May 2006, 20:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, army composition then.

by not taking full squads you are reducing the volume of fire that you can put out. thats the problem with so many players wanting to min/max. you fail to realize that eventually the army that you are facing will be within 12" so you assume that your min/maxed las/plas can handle anything. I would rather face a 5 or 6 man las plas squad than a 10 man las plas any day. why? because thats at least 4 more marines that I have to kill before I can silence your special guns. and at 12" with rapid fire you will have more bolter shots coming at me than you have with your min/max squad. either you play a competitive army or a fluff army. but you are trying to do both, and aren't going to get the results that you want. either you will be outgunned (for explanation see above), overrun, or out manuevered.

my suggestion - don't try to field an entire company in a 1500 pt game. you're just asking for a loss.
Old 06 May 2006, 13:49   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you asked if the list could work and i said it wouldnt it. the assalt squads altough the move 12 inchs
the are still to slow the tactical squads are to small you need bigger ones the would get whittled down to
easily. i gave my alternative. as for spell check if i dont bother using it
Old 07 May 2006, 13:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay let's get on with it,

I posted exactly the same list on other major 40k forums, there I got good replies.
The only problems that came up were:

No plasma pistols in assault squads
It is better to take 8 men Devastator squads, but can't find any points for it.
Krak grenades on the Captain are pretty useless, but were only just for points filling.
Lack of mobility, only two fast squads, rest should stay immobile because of heavy weapons firing.
Some people claimed I was powergaming, well that's my choice and if I want to do that, I will do that.
And lastly people said it didn't looked like a Company, it should consist of 100 marines and bigger squads,
But they came to the conclusion that it was impossible to get that in 1500 points. So this is a good start of a company.

Closed Thread