Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

400 point Combat patrol
Closed Thread
Old 01 May 2006, 22:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 400 point Combat patrol

Alright, this is what I plan on playing for my 400 point Combat patrol teams. I was hoping to hear what you guys think of it, both fluff and crunch.

Traits

Scions of Mars (not used at this point value)
See but don't be seen

Aspire to Glory
Death before Dishonour

The Scions of Mars and Aspire to Glory might seem contradictory at first, but my logic behind it is that my chapter (a DIY obvously), The Forgotten Sons, has been out of supply for a very long time for a yet undecided reason. Therefore someone who could keep what few techno-artifacts the group had running would gain the respect of his comrades. Hence some of the grander tech of the Imperium is limited, but the repair man is king. :funny:

Troops

Tactical Squad Order Beta

-10 Marine Squad
-Infiltrate
-Acute Senses
-Frag grenades
-Flamer
-Vet. Sergent with Termie Honors, Bolt Pistol and Power Fist

Fast Attack

Fire

Land Speeder
-Multi Melta
-Heavy Flamer

Brimstone
-Heavy Bolter
-Assault Cannon

I figure that the Landspeeders would be a reasonable addition at this point level because of the nature of a patrol, dispite having twice as many fast attack as troops. (The powergamer test seemed to take a bit umbrage about this fact. :P)

I don't expect the acute senses to matter that much on the crunch side of things because the squad is pretty cc oriented, but from a fluff point of view it makes sense to send out the guys with the best eyesight.

I would expect an encounter to go something like this:

Pregame: Marines find a target and call in for backup. Landspeeders are the obvious choice as it is expected to be a limited engagement and speed is necessary to arrive before the situation changes.

Turn 1: Landspeeders arrive (not deepstriking). As the enemy begins to react to this threat, Marines break cover and begin charging while the enemy is distracted. Landspeeders will charge forward in the meantime in order to get in range.

Turn 2: Marines continue to charge at the enemy, while the Landspeeders give supporting fire.

Turn 3: Marines get into cc, while the landspeeders give one last round of covering fire, or breakoff to find another viable target.

Turn 4-end: React as necessary to threats.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Old 02 May 2006, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: 400 point Combat patrol

Turn 1: Landspeeders arrive (not deepstriking). As the enemy begins to react to this threat, Marines break cover and begin charging while the enemy is distracted. Landspeeders will charge forward in the meantime in order to get in range.

Turn 2: Marines continue to charge at the enemy, while the Landspeeders give supporting fire.

Turn 3: Marines get into cc, while the landspeeders give one last round of covering fire, or breakoff to find another viable target.

Turn 4-end: React as necessary to threats.

All in all be very careful with those speeders. Their armour is paper thin and can be easily shot down. In other areas I think you should consider more models, not a lot but just a few more. 12 models in 400points isn't a lot. You probably will not need the "brimstone" speeder, add some more marines... break your one squad into two and add a few. Other than that looks pretty good.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 02 May 2006, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 400 point Combat patrol

Quote:
-10 Marine Squad
-Infiltrate
-Acute Senses
-Frag grenades
-Flamer
-Vet. Sergent with Termie Honors, Bolt Pistol and Power Fist
Ack - Infiltrate is a godsend for this unit, but Acute Senses is a point sink - the maximum range you'll be fighting at is only three times that of a roll of double ones (1/36 chance). Drop the AS, the rest looks fine.
Closed Thread