Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

750pt Trait Army
Closed Thread
Old 01 May 2006, 20:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 750pt Trait Army

Ok, this is another Warrior of Toralis army. You may have heard the name waaaaay back. No matter how many times I change the traits, they always end up with "TYBB" :P kinda funny. any way, heres a small, experimental list:

HEADQUARTERS
++Captain++
Bolt Pistol, Mastercrafted Thunder Hammer, Combat Sheild, Auspex, Jump Pack, Purity Seals, Terminator Honours

TROOPS
++Tactical Squad++
Sgt w/ Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Storm Sheild
7 Space Marines (1 Flamer, 6 bolters)
Furious Assault

++Tactical Squad++
Sgt w/ Bolter
6 Space Marines (1 Lascannon, 5 Bolters)
True Grit

FAST ATTACK
++Assault Squad++
Sgt w/ Terminator Honours, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
8 Space Marines (2 Plasma Pistols, 6 BP+CCW)
Jump Pack, Frag Grenades
Furious Assault

CHAPTER TRAITS: "No Mercy, No Respite", "Trust Your Battle Brothers"
Disadvantages: "Aspire to Glory", "Faithful Unto Death"

I've went ahead and designed this list to challenge me alot. The two Drawbacks serisoulsy limit my options. I'm thinking of expanding this army to 1000pts, but I'm not to sure what I should add in. Its mostly an assaulty army, with the necessary shooty unit here and there. I understand theres only three units in this army, something I was not aware of until typing this up :-X but that just adds to the challenge. I'm mostly going up against Nids, tau and Chaos. So I figured I would go assault with some shooty. Any and all comments welcome!

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 01 May 2006, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: 750pt Trait Army

Hey man,

Nice fluffy list you got there, good elite force - however, not as competitive as it could be. I very often take those two traits (among others), Trust Your Battle Brothers and Aspire To Glory. However, I do not usually utilise the veteran skills they offer in anything less than 1000 points. In 750pts, they just eat up points like nothing on earth.

Anyhow, definitely a nice army if you want a challenge, but I won't go into how to make it more competitive unless you want me to.

Cheers.
Old 02 May 2006, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey, anything helps! besides, 8 times out of 10 i lose any way :P theres just sumthing wrong with me when i get an army on the table. I can make some pretty good lists on paper, but when i try and put them to use they fall apart :-\ to expand to 1000pts, I was thinking maybe a squad of Terminators and then asmall squad of scouts as a points filler. a land speeder!!!

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 02 May 2006, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Hehe , well I'll have a go at criticising this list from a competitive viewpoint then:

HQ - First thing I notice here is that the captain is massive points - 168 to be exact - a huge amout to spend on one model! In small point games like this, purity seals, master crafting and Terminator honours are not usually particularly effective. Indeed, Captains in general are not -great- at close combat, but the Thunder hammer + storm shield is still great kit.

Troops 1 - Storm shield not really worth it on the veteran sergeant - the only time he should ever have to use it is if he is left on his very own, and if he is suffering attacks that ignore normal armour saves. In this situation, it is unlikely that he is going to survive, storm shield or no! Otherwise, a fairly nice squad, although I would either drop or add a single marine to make the squad numbers even, and I would consider getting rid of furious charge - not worth it in small games IMO, more marines is generally better.

Troops 2 - Nice, although I would drop the True Grit for same reasons given above.

Fast Attack - Too large a squad I'm thinking, this is going to be a number one target for the likes of Tau, and is very expensive to lose to a lot of plasma and ion fire. I would consider dropping down to 6 marines and getting rid of the Furious assault - again, veteran skills all add up in low point games.

With the points you save from carrying out the above suggestions, there are loads of things you can use to fill the spaces and its really up to person choice. I would personally go for another tactical squad with meltagun, in a drop pod. Or possibly a couple of landspeeders, or a predator. Or a whirlwind :P. The list seems to lack a little in anti-tank, so lascannon / melta goodness is required. A landspeeder with multi-melta would suit the mark well.

As for expanding to 1000 points, I would suggest a good bulk of tactical marines before adding anything like terminators. Landspeeders are amazingly useful, you should definitely go for them.

Anyway, good luck !
Old 02 May 2006, 20:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You shouldn't give Furious Charge to Tac squads without 2 CCWs (thanks to Take the Fight to Them), as they lack the amount of attacks in melee to justify this point expenditure.
Furthermore, should they shoot once within charge range, they can't charge, and if you absolutely want to have them charge, they can't shoot. Not much efficient.
Trust your Battle Brothers would be so much better on them___no better on a charge than a standard Bolter Marine, but superb when used to receive charges, especially if within cover.

However, if you want to have that Tac squad keep Furious Charge, then do so. It's the perfect Vet Skills for nutters!
Closed Thread