Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Space Marines..chapter help
Closed Thread
Old 25 Apr 2006, 23:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default New to Space Marines..chapter help

Hey everyone

I currently play Chaos Space Marines - nightlords , so you might be wondering why im lurking around
the space marine forum.

Well, my aunt just came back from her long vacation trip, and she realized she skipped my birthday. So, as a late Birthday present, she got me the Battle for Maccrage box set, unaware I play chaos.

Appreciating the gift, I decided to start Space Marines and Tyranids, (when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!) I also got a nifty small rulebook with 4th edition rules, something I wanted to get.

But I am having a hard time choosing which chapter I'm going to be. At first, I thought Ravenguard, but it seemed like they were too alike Nightlords, so maybe a change would be nice (same with White Scars). I was thinking of Black Templars as well, but, it can be mighty costly - I heard you have to buy a different box for the extensional sprues to make them look "black templar - ish". Also, I am not quite fond of scouts, or neophytes.
Then, I considered going with plain ol' Ultramarines. But it seemed like that everyone and everyone's dog played Ultramarines. I witnessed a game in my local GW where 4 Ultramarines players were fightin it out. I like their color scheme a lot actually, and it's just an awesome chapter.
And then there's blood ravens, the army in DOW. They are an option as well. As new ideas swarmed into mine, I also thought Salamanders might be an option, when something abruptly popped up - a Pre-Heresey chapter from the chaos cults/legions.
It would probably be a lot of work, convertin here and there, maybe go for Deathguard, Khorne, or even Tzeenzch (spelling?)

Heh, a lot of you guys out there might be shocked at all the possible chapters I want to do. Any help
is appreciated, thanks!

From the adventures of Tiny tim and Wargamer, a epic story.
AIM: CreepyDope

Armies I'd like to start next:
Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 25 Apr 2006, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto
Default Re: New to Space Marines..chapter help

Well you got yourself a nice start for SMs and 'Nids, gotta love that lemonade!

I'm not sure what you want to play. Fast armies are to simmilar to your current one, so maybe something long range, or would you rather a CC list with some rhinos (Black templars are pretty good at this I hear)?
Old 25 Apr 2006, 23:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Imperial Fists.

They're one of the original legions so they're total badasses.

They're colour scheme is the opposite of Nightlords (Dark blue purple/ Vs. Yellow/red)

They're great at blowing stuff up from a distance but are noted for their stuborness and unwilingness to give up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally, I think the ultramarines. They are the actual marines you play as in the battle for Maccrage, and you don't have to deal with those funky chapter rules. The ultramarines are very straight, and forward, so building a list is easy, (especially combat patrols), plus the colour scheme is pretty nifty.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 05:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hm thanks guys

To Lord Seto: I kind of want a close combat army, but it can be versatile as well, not like Khorne.

To Falstead: Imperial Fists? umm.....no. Im not really into yellow marines if ya catch my drift, thanks though :huh:

To ToastMaster: wow, you're really dragging me into Ultramarines, not that it is bad. I am sort of favoring Ultramarines right now, but I was thinking of a pre hersey chaos legion/cult army as well - excluding Emperor's children.

Ravenguard is still an option as well, I just like they're color scheme, and that they're in D.O.W. The Salamanders seem to not really interest to me anymore for some reason. The black templars are also really tempting, but I hate the neophytes/scouts, they're heads look a bit odd. Also, it's really costly (due to the Templar upgrade pack), and since they're more of close combat oriented, I just wasted this tactical squad with bolters! (Maccrage marines are not very versatile).

But if you are using a pre-hersey army, would you use normal Space Marine traits, or the cult's special rules? (such as Blood frenzy, or true grit)
From the adventures of Tiny tim and Wargamer, a epic story.
AIM: CreepyDope

Armies I'd like to start next:
Imperial Guard
Tyranid
Orkz
Old 26 Apr 2006, 06:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Subliminal message: Dark Angels

If this post appears for more than 1/20 of a second, PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The All-father
A horror! HOOORRRROOOOORRRR!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 07:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipingRanger
I kind of want a close combat army, but it can be versatile as well, not like Khorne.
Space Wolves.
In my opinion the'ye the only interesting SM chapter.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 09:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Id have to go with BT.. albeit they an be costly, with the chapter upgrade kit, you do however get doors to a LR, rhino and a front to a dread. all specific with BT insignias.

besides, with all the extra stuff you get, you can really personalize your army, without to big of a use of green stuff.

Also the detail on the extra stuff is awesome (not FW, but still) and comes such quantities..

Now, on to why to play em.

+ they can be both CC or ranged.. all your troops can take either CCW, BP or a bolter, to take on any combat role..

+ they got the EC.. awesome fighter...

+ no expensive sergeants. Just kit your groups out with whatever you wish..

- must ahve at least 2 HQ at 750 pts and over. the EC is mandatory.

- no librarians.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 10:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

perhaps,

blood angels, combatty (although perhaps not very versatile, not sure though)

pre-heresy worldeaters or lunar wolves (use combatty traits)

blood ravens are also a good choice
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 26 Apr 2006, 12:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is a simple answer to a simple question:

Make your own chapter.

That way you can decide to do whatever you want to do.
Closed Thread