Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which Deathwing?
Closed Thread
Old 25 Apr 2006, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Which Deathwing?

So far these have been my best choices for my deathing army in the Medusa V campaign.

First:

HQ
Epistolary Apollo
Terminator Armor, Fear of the Darkness, Fury of the Ancients, Lightning claw (MC), Storm Bolter, Stubborn
(4)Sextus Squad
Stubborn, 2x Assault Cannons, Chainfist, Combi - Plasma ( Brother Fulgor)
Drop Pod
Elites
Dreadnought (Brother Arcturus)
Extra Armor, Assault Cannon, DCCW
Drop Pod

Troops
(5)Secundus Squad
Stubborn , 2x Assault Cannons, Chainfist, Combi - Plasma( Brother Anguimanus)
Drop Pod
(5)Novus Squad
Stubborn, 2x Twin Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer and Strom Sheilds, (Brother Remus)
Drop Pod
(5)Primus Squad
Stubborn, 2x Cyclone Missile Launchers,
Chainfist, Tank Hunters, (Brother Nemo)
Drop Pod

Total - 1499

On to the second...

HQ
Interrogator Novacula
Terminator Armor, Stubborn, Lightning Claws, Blades of Reason
(4)Sextus Squad
Stubborn, 2x Assault Cannons, Chainfist, Combi - Plasma ( Brother Fulgor)
Drop Pod
Elites
Dreadnought (Brother Arcturus)
Extra Armor, Assault Cannon, DCCW
Drop Pod

Troops
(5)Secundus Squad
Stubborn, 2x Assault Cannons, Chainfist, Combi - Plasma ( Brother Anguimanus)
Drop Pod
(5)Novus Squad
Stubborn, 2x Twin Lightning Claws, 2x Thunder Hammer and Strom Sheilds, Lightning Claws (Brother Remus)
Drop Pod
(5)Primus Squad
Stubborn , 2x Cyclone Missile Launchers,
Chainfist, Tank Hunters, Combi - Plasma (Brother Nemo)
Drop Pod

Total - 1500

Please help me choose which one to use..
Old 25 Apr 2006, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion
Default Re: Which Deathwing?

Ok now i love deathwing. But Your lacking the whole idea of termies and deepstrike.

Terminators are meant to be shooty for deathwing. In comparison to heavy weapons vs powerweps most armies have more powerweapons excluding eldar.

So the idea is to come in guns blazing. I recomend more assault cannons and more shooty dred.

Also you need combi flamers on all the sarges.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 25 Apr 2006, 18:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Keep in mind that the lists I made are for Medusa V. And the main part is City Fights. Not all my units will be able to be targeted and things might not go as planned. So I decided to have simmilar troops that can each accomplish mutiple tasks instead of one troop just waiting to come in.

Quote:
But Your lacking the whole idea of termies and deepstrike.
I decided to use drop pods so my units don't dissipear if the scatter goes into an enemy unit or the many pieces of impassible city terrain that can destroy my units INSTATLY!

Quote:
Terminators are meant to be shooty for deathwing.
I agree but then again there might not be much of a chance due to DP or how the City is set up. So I made everything closer to being rounded because if I'm a shooty DW against Tau (can't get much shootier than Tau) then I'm gonna be Creamed and maded into extra smooth butter...

Quote:
I recomend more assault cannons and more shooty dred.
My store goes ballistic if somebody brings more than 6-8 assault cannons in an army and they are (almost) permanently regarded as "cheesy". I, having gotten my pride back form having 7 AC, wanted to go alittle lite on them so people will be willing to play me. And for the dread, AC not good enough? You just wanted more.... But then again I don't want to loose the DCCW and let IG conscripts have a save against a DREADNOUGHT!!! (not fun at ALL)

Quote:
Also you need combi flamers on all the sarges.
I like this suggestion and actually might do that after a few games. I have plasma for those "unexpeted" surprises such as a terminator squad in a drop pod (gee who has those??). If I have plasma, I could get 2 RF shots, 1-2 kills, and my 8 AC shots, 1- ~3 kills, Plus storm bolters, 0-1 kill. This devastates a squad when the combi - flamer would maybe kill 1.

This is just my thinking, feel free to burn me...
Old 25 Apr 2006, 20:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ooh....I like the idea of deathwing in cityfight.

Given the amount of cover on the board, you might consider putting one heavy flamer into some of the squads. A S5 flame template works wonders on troops in a building...but don't put more than one, for those times when you're NOT doing cityfight....besides, two heavy flamers would be overkill in the city, LOL.

Second, I recommend ALWAYS taking three dreadnaughts when fielding deathwing. Why? Three dreads cost the same as a fully kitted termie squad...which do you think is better??

On the termies, I'd suggest upgrading the stormbolters to flamers (are they heavy flamers?), given the likelihood of lots of city fights....again with the bit about denying cover saves. Give one of them a plasma cannon just for extra cool points. Either give the other two assault cannons or give one an assault cannon and the other a TLLC, if you're worried about being called cheesy....although why anyone would call deathwing, with their horribly tiny model count, cheesy, is beyond me.

Also, don't give everyone drop pods...that's points you can't afford in a deathwing army. I'd restrict it to the HQ and assault squads. The Cyclones certainly don't need one, and the assault cannon guys can use some of the bountiful cover found on a cityfight board.

As for which HQ to choose...given the shooty squad, I'd take the librarian and make use of the FotD. The Chaplain's extra assaultiness would go to waste.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

my only true concern would be the lightning claws on both your librarian and your chaplain. they both automatically come with force weapon and power weapon respectively. by buying the lightning claws you are actually wasting points. just buy them a single power fist so that they can choose which of the two they want to use in combat, and they still get the extra attack for having two close combat weapons.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Howl's right___pts are a premium ressource in Deathwing and Lysanderwing lists, so they should be spent more into getting more guys.
Also, a Force Weapon just might be the lifesaver you need to deal with a Daemon Prince or Hive Tyrant, especially seeing that your Libby will often be Dropping close to enemy lines to get the most out of Fear.
Thus, a barebone Epistolary, with Termie Armor, Fear and Fury ought to do it just fine.
Furthermore, no need to pay for Stubbornness on your Libby, as Deathwing Termies are all automatically Stubborn and grant it to any Characters joining them.

As for flaming duties, Dreads are pretty nice, as it doesn't cost an Assault Cannon slot. It's a much better alternative to any combi-weapons IMO, as these are pretty expensive for single shot guns.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually you still have to buy the stubborn trait for the libby. its the chaplain that doesn't have to buy the stubborn trait. wish that was the case for it though, my deathwing can use the extra points. ;D
Old 27 Apr 2006, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

I actually also suggest taking atleast 2 dreds.

Toss a LC/Ml on one and a hb/ccw on the other.

And am i wrong in that deathwing can take landspeeders?

I suggesting getting atleast 2 asap. Drop the Ml lighting claws and bam you have almost a full land speeder.

Also deepstriking termies arent your problem its the instant sumon deamons that will destory you.

10 bloodletters appear infrount of you and now you get to have fun fighting a t5 powerwep.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 27 Apr 2006, 01:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

its ravenwing that gets the landspeeders, deathwing only get marines in terminator armour, dreadnoughts and landraider.

also in a 1500 pt battle (which I'm assuming thats what he plans on playing, cause thats what he has his points at) he might be better off with the extra termies that he would have to give up if he took the second dread. between the extra armour and the drop pod his dread should do just fine.

and if he faces bloodletters appearing in front of him, well that really shouldn't be too much of a problem, since the turn they land the deathwing should be able to wipe out anything within 12 to 18 inches of them. those that don't have to face a drop pod in the way. even though it can't move its still there, and needs to be taken care of or moved around.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 16:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It's when the bloodletters manifest and charge on the same turn that the problem arrives...