Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has anyone played the Blood Ravens?
Closed Thread
Old 24 Apr 2006, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Has anyone played the Blood Ravens?

Alright, so as the title says I want to know if anyone has played the Blood Ravens chapter and how are they, and by played I mean outside of Dawn of War ;D. I looked at their Divergences and thought that they were pretty good. I am thinking of doing up a Blood Raven's Kill Team but I wanted to know how they played in the field, whether as a kill team, or as an actual army. I was thinking that I might continue it from Kill Team to actual army later and would like to know everything anyone can tell me.
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Has anyone played the Blood Ravens?

I just recently played a person in a 1.5K battle, BR vs tau, and it really didn't seem as good to the DoW game for the following reasons:
  • He wasn't able to use all the tanks like in the game
  • Didn't seem to play as well as if following Dow
  • He had NO special weapons to get the benifit of true grit unlike the game
  • He couldn't infiltrate because of the mission
  • He had NO transports

The game was a complete dissapointment and a borefest to BOTH players at BEST. I would not reccomend them BEYOND killteams, except combat patrol.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

I think he means how are they, not what they are like as if playing DoW> And it sounds like this player didn't know how to use them anyways.

I've never played as them though. However, I dislike their traits. Sure they get true grit and infiltrate, but at heavy costs. Each marine will costs 21 points! Plus the combo isn't really that good-it's better to take true grit with drop pod squads. So either your not using all of the traits, or your spending a fortune. If you want to be that chapter, I wouldn't use the traits.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The Blood Ravens traits really dont represent them in my opinion. In the game they made use of quite a few tanks to get the job done, in the books they were always fairly heavily mechanized. Flesh Over Steel doesnt seem to represent them well. Plus as mentioned infiltrate and true grit dont work well together. The chapter looks cool and has some great fluff behind it but the traits just dont fit. However you dont ever have to use the traits with one of the famous chapters in the codex. You simply cant use other traits. There is nothing stopping you from playing them as vanilla marines.

Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:59   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

There is a guy at my GW store who plays BR using the traits system, and is on a 16 game winning streak with them, the only tank in his army is a whirlwind. And he has 2 land speeder tornados, and lots of infantry who mostly infiltrate. He has kicked my imperial fists 3 times :-[.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 21:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsun
There is a guy at my GW store who plays BR using the traits system, and is on a 16 game winning streak with them, the only tank in his army is a whirlwind. And he has 2 land speeder tornados, and lots of infantry who mostly infiltrate. He has kicked my imperial fists 3 times :-[.
That may be but the point is the traits dont accurately represent the fluff for the chapter. Its like seeing a BA army with no death company or assault marines it just doesnt seem right. Blood Ravens werent a scouting army in the Dawn of War game or books but an armored assault company. The books were filled with blood ravens tanks and speeders engaging the enemy till the vehicles simply could not be used and they had to charge in on foot or retreat to orbit. Blood Ravens in their fluff seemed to exemplify the aspect of Space Marines that is an armored assault, one of the 3 main methods of combat for marines if Im remembering the codex correctly. They didnt infiltrate on foot and leave the treads behind. The traits just dont make that much sense for their fluff.

Old 24 Apr 2006, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

And where did true grit come from? No mention is made of it in the game.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Closed Thread