Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scouts Honor! (1850pt)
Closed Thread
Old 24 Apr 2006, 01:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Scouts Honor! (1850pt)

After reading a thread on a different forum about a scout heavy force, I thought I would throw my own list together and see what I could manage.

The story would be that this is a Space Wolf Scout Regiment, one that goes and trains the older Space Wolves for their duties as a scout...as well as providing recon for other Space Wolf forces. Codex: Space Marine was used. The Librarian and 'Grey Hunter' squad are there to D'yeri the skills of the Wolves seeking to become scouts, and the Venerable Dread is there to pass along his wisdom (as he was a scout before his entombment).

Lone Wolf Company

Traits: Trust your Battle Brothers (T.B.B.); Uphold the Honor of the Emperor
Drawbacks: Flesh Over Steel, Death before Dishonor

HQ

Rune Priest Ul'fan: Epistolary Librarian (Strom of Emperor's Wrath, Might of Heroes) Combat Shield, Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Psychic Hood, T.B.B. - 144

Grey Hunter Honor Squad: Command Squad (8 Strong w/bolter+CC weapon), Vet Sgt w/Power Fist; 2x Melta Gun, T.B.B., Drop Pod - 248

ELITE

Venerable Brother Brathos: Venerable Dreadnaught, Tank Hunter, Twin Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Smoke/Extra Armor - 173

TROOP

Brothers of the Fang: 10 Scouts w/Bolt Pistol+CC weapon, Frag Grenades, Vet Sgt w/power fist - 168

Brothers of the Claw: 10 Scouts w/Bolt Pistol+CC weapon, Frag Grenades, Vet Sgt w/power fist - 168

Brothers of the Snarl: 10 Scouts w/Bolt Pistol+CC weapon, Frag Grenades, Vet Sgt w/power fist - 168

Brothers of the Prowl: 10 Scouts, 9 sniper rifles, missile launcher - 185

Brothers of the Hunt: 10 Scouts, 9 sniper rifles, missile launcher - 185

Brothers of the Howl: 10 Scouts, 9 bolters, Heavy Bolter - 135

FAST ATTACK

Brothers of the Paw: 4 Scout Bikes, Melta Bombs, Vet Sgt W/Power Fist - 138

Brothers of the Pack: 4 Scout Bikes, Melta Bombs, Vet Sgt W/Power Fist - 138

TOTAL: 1850

The Plan: This army will certainly play much differently if Infiltrate is allowed than if it's not. For Infiltrate Missions, the assault units will deploy near the weaker flank of the enemy, looking to get stuck in as quickly as possible. The Sniper Squads will use their infiltrate to set themselves up in a good shooting position after the enemy has deployed, and the bolter squad is there to position themselves where the can contest table quarters or claim objectives...as well as to add a bit of dakka.

The Ven Dread will be 'sniping' enemy Armor, using cover and LOS to limit enemy return fire.

The Librarian and Command Squad (after watching how the battle is going from a barge above) will drop pod in to deal with whatever enemy unit is giving my forces the toughest time (be it tank or heavily armored infantry). The Librarian has Emperors Wrath for when they Land ("Smite!"), and Might of heroes for when they get charged by the enemy. And since they'll be using Uphold the Honor of the Emperor, they'll have a 6+ invulnerable save against any shooting attack directed at them.

The Scout Biker squad will be working together to eliminate armor or heavy weapon squads.

Should I not be able to Infiltrate, the Sniper Squads will be trying to pin approaching enemy units while the Assault scouts move forward into position. Then either the Scout bikes or Command Squad will be used to slow the enemy down so that the Assault Squads can get into position. The Bolter Scouts will shoot whoever they can.

Thoughts and Comments?

Das DevilSquid
"Of Wolf and Man"
Old 24 Apr 2006, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Scouts Honor! (1850pt)

One problem with you strategy you can not Deep Strike the Command Squad.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 05:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSquid
Grey Hunter Honor Squad: Command Squad (8 Strong w/bolter+CC weapon), Vet Sgt w/Power Fist; 2x Melta Gun, T.B.B., Drop Pod - 251
Sure I can! Drop Pods away!

D-DS
Old 24 Apr 2006, 05:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Wow. Looks like a deadly list. Some how, this list intangibly lacks power.

Maybe its just me. Looks like a really effective force though.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 24 Apr 2006, 05:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I can't wait until you win your battle against a force and you laugh and they start crying because it's all scouts.. :P

Anyway, I like the idea but it does lack power as a main battle unit.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 06:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Some how, this list intangibly lacks power.
I think that's my biggest draw to the list...it doesn't have one or two things that just scream POWER...you've got a bunch of scouts armed for different things...

But there are 6 powerfists in the list.

With one exception, each unit has something to deal with anything. Vehicle? Big Nasty? Infantry? This list's power is spread out instead of focused into one area...

Besides, it's more of a Finesse army, which is why it appeals to me.

Thanks for the comments.

D-DS
Old 24 Apr 2006, 18:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

Two things really. SW cant deep strike at all. My mistake, it says yo ucan deep strike if you buy a Pod. and you need 1 HQ for every 750 points, rounding up. Hence you need 3 HQs

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like the list.

However I would have to say NO to claming that it's a Space Wolf training company because... Space wolves don't use scouts for training!

Space Wolf Intiates are given the black carapace relativley early, meaning they beging wearing full power armour from the time they first take to the battlefield. These troops are known as Blood Claws and often form a large portion of a Space Wolves army.

Space Wolf scouts are quite literally lone wolves.

They're the Space Wolves who don't really play well with others and prefer solitude. They live alone in the wilds until called upon by their battle brothers. Then they band together in small teams and use their unique skills and abilities to make the enemies lives a living hell.

Very few Space Wolves ever actually become scouts and those that do wouldn't be banding together in a large force becuase it's contrary to thier nature! They became scouts to avoid people.

So keep the army list but might I suggest either

a) Make a Space Wolves sucessor chapter, its allows you to keep much of the wolves imagery and use their bitz without actually being contradictory to the fluff.

b) Make it a different chapter all together. Something about a pure scout force screams Ravenwing to me. They're noted for their extensive planning and use of scouts prior to well timed attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kais
Two things really. SW cant deep strike at all. My mistake, it says yo ucan deep strike if you buy a Pod. and you need 1 HQ for every 750 points, rounding up. Hence you need 3 HQs
Ah, but he isnt playing SW at all now is he? First thing that would show you is the traits. He is playing a SW inspired scout army from the SM codex. So the HQ for every 750 points is Not needed and in this case illegal. Decent anti tank, Although anything armor 13+ will probabaly take out a big chunk of your army. Oh and a hint, if you every manage to come across a Whirlwind, DP next to that :P
Good looking list maybe something more hard hitting against tanks.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

take some storm claws on bikes. 2 powerfists and a leader wit ha thunder hammer. tanks never see it coming.

>>Latest Sig<<
Closed Thread