Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fury of the Ancients
Closed Thread
Old 23 Apr 2006, 08:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fury of the Ancients

My poor Tau have been a victim of this quite often lately. My opponent was always using this psychic power without line of site. He would sit in his deployment zone and shoot through area terrain and anything other than his own units. Is this the legal use of the power? The rule book states that normal shooting rules apply to psychic powers unless noted specifically. I can't find anywhere in the SM codex that states that no line of site is needed. Some help here to clear this up for me would be appreciated. I'm getting better at dodging it but i'm suspicious that he's unknowingly(or purposely ???) using it illegally.

*Also,if this is treated as in normal shooting, would target priority also be a factor, considering that he must pick a direction to aim his straight line to the opposite table edge?
Old 23 Apr 2006, 09:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Fury of the Ancients

well I&#39;m not sure, and cant be arsed getting up to look at the codex, but I know for sure, any player using a power like that to such an unfair advantage won&#39;t make any friends while playing.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 23 Apr 2006, 09:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

IF Im not mistaken, it stops at the first terrain peice or friendly unit. the only thing that doesnt stop it is unengaged enemy units.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 09:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

The construct does not stop when it hits terrain, only if it hits a friendly unit or a unit in close contact.

As for whether it should require line of sight or not, that is debatable. The power entry does not say anything about ignoring LOS, nor does it say anything about requiring LOS. The power counts just as a normal shooting attack, so LOS may be required. However, the power is not a "direct" attack (ie. you aren&#39;t directly attacking a single squad as with shooting), it is more of an indirect attack, such as ordnance or barrages, so if you look at it that way, LOS may not be required.

However, if you look at it from an "in the spirit of the game" point of view, I think it should require LOS to at least one squad in the constructs path.

Cheers!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

I&#39;m looking at the entry right now.

1.) It takes place durning the Librarian&#39;s shooting phase in place of shooting a weapon though which might be where we&#39;re having a problem if only refernacing this entry. The way it&#39;s worded the ruling on page 53 of the rulebook would seem to apply.

2.) It also says that the line is drawn from the librarian to any table edge. This seems to suggest it doesn&#39;t have to be targeted at a unit as it would be if you were shooting. This makes it seem it&#39;s possible that while it is used during the shooting phase, it is not a shooting attack.

3.) What others have stated, ignores terrain inbetween, only disipates when hitting CC or friendly units.

I&#39;d have to say where in doubt, the BGB takes precidence over the codex unless stated otherwise myself. However in this case you may want to discuss it with your opponent, show where the possible problem lies and if you still can&#39;t agree, put it to the dice.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 19:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you guys.

I do think this one really is open to interpretation. I can see it both ways so I really don&#39;t have a clue. Logically its rather silly to let a guy blast a psychic power across the board through terrain where he wouldn&#39;t have a clue if a unit was there or not. The BGB states that the psyker needs to see the target because ,"psykers find it hard to pinpoint the mind of an opponent with any clarity in the heat of combat." I do see how this is a tough one to argue though.

Of course I also had to argue that one of his tanks wasn&#39;t obscured when 1/4 of it&#39;s visible side was behind area terrain. He won out on that somehow even though the BGB clearly states that it has to be 50% to be counted as obscured.

For the sake of keeping it fun I think I&#39;ll just avoid that damned Librarian as best as I can. Maybe a nice railgun to the head too. :P
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Id say he needs LoS, to at least one enemy unit, since the BBB claims that you need LoS unless stated otherwise in the codex. I cant see any statement that say that fury of the ancients dont need it!

So my conclusion is:

1. need LoS to a single enemy unit.
2. continues until hitting a friendly or combat locked unit!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Your friend is a rule-jacking jackass.

There is no other way to say it, he is actively trying to bend the rules in his favor and against you.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I&#39;ll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You&#39;ve got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well just to inform one without the lingo so to speak, what is BGB?
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 23 Apr 2006, 23:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Big Grey Book, also commonly called "Warhammer 40k 4th Edition Rulebook".
Closed Thread