Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Please help convince me
Closed Thread
Old 28 Mar 2006, 15:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default Please help convince me

Hi all, I've played Tau for a while now (2 years to be precise) and will soon be able to star a new army, I've been flirting with the idea of Chaos for a while but have decided against that Idea I'm now considering Sm's as I know that it is a good all round army but am half uncertain.

could you convince me to collect a SM army whilst pointing out some flaws with the army to prove I can enjoy a tactical challenge as well as an army of supermen
Old 28 Mar 2006, 15:45   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Please help convince me

Alright the first flaw is assuming they are all supermen, only the Ultramarines look like that. ;D

But in all seriousness, the army provides many choices thanks to divergences. Taking the right mix can allow you to make whatever type of army you want. The marines are a bit on the costly side in terms of points, but this means less real money on models. The army is also very forgiving, a mistake doesn't ruin everything for you. Each marine is just as good shooting as he is smashing someones head in. One thing to look out for is that when it comes to tournaments many armies are built to deal with MEQs so be careful.

Outside of the game the marines have a lot of good fluff that you can read and create with. The army can be painted how you want to paint it and thanks to the majority of plastic models there is plenty of room for easy customization.

Hope this helps,

--The Wildonion
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Old 28 Mar 2006, 15:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey Hadhfang.

We really shouldn't have to convince you to play the army. But, anyway.

First, I suggest you read some of the space marine articles and tacticas. They should give you quite a bit of insight on what you want.

Space Marines have lots of variety, and are capable at making many styles of play, whether it be shooting, close combat etc.

They are a relativley easy army to play due to their good armour and toughness, and have lots of good, powerful, and fun units.

There are 'vanilla' marines, and then chapter marines. For more information on the chapters, check out the link below:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4421.0

If you've decided to start SM, then you'll want to first get the codex. Then, an HQ and 2 Troop choices. If you wanted to go into a more specific SM chapter, you might need to get one of the mini codex's (blood angels, dark angels, etc.).

Get your HQ and 2 Troops, and experiment around. See what you like. After that, you can expand into the other options (FA, HS, Elites).

Hopefully you'll enjoy and succeed with your new Space Marine army!
Ben
Old 28 Mar 2006, 15:47   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'll keep it brief, because you all know I hate epic-length essay posts. :

Reasons For:
  • They have no real weaknesses.
  • List can be tailored to suit any playing style.
  • Wide range of units to choose from.
  • Quick and easy to build, convert and paint.

Reasons Against:
  • They have no real strengths.
  • They are an over-used army, so a lot of players with tailor against them by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 28 Mar 2006, 15:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

We're the best the Emporer has to offer.
For starters, we have some of the best basic infantry in the entire game and superb heavy weapons options to the Tau you're used to. We also have access to a host of powerful wargear and weapons as well as many means of deployment and plenty of vehicles.
For style of play, there are thousands of pre-created Chapters with various units and abilities to further specialize them from Ultramarines as well as having the best infantry models and fluff in the entire game IMHO.
Just know that Marine armies are more core-based than nearly every other army out there and that basic troop choices are more important for SM players. Contrary to the popular belief, you will not always be outnumbered and never outgunned. Necrons, Chaos traitors, Tyranid Warrior armies, and Grey Knights are more expensive and often less efficient troop choices. They also don't have access to the variety of multipurpose armoured detatchments and support weapons as the Space Marines. Trust in our infantry and the Emporer will bring you victory.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 19:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Problems: Tau and anyone else who can hide from you then pop out, blow you apart with AP3 weaponry and then hide again.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 19:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen
Problems: Tau and anyone else who can hide from you then pop out, blow you apart with AP3 weaponry and then hide again.
You mean Vespids right? Firewarriors wet their pants at the thought of the Emperor's finest. That +3 save on a basic model is a lot better than that of nearly any other basic troop.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 19:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger

You mean Vespids right? Firewarriors wet their pants at the thought of the Emperor's finest. That +3 save on a basic model is a lot better than that of nearly any other basic troop.
At 15 per, you get 3 FW for ever 2 SM. Means alot when we are talking 30 SM to 45 FW. that difference point value wise means the SM will take it on the chin from volume alone. The possibilities of each inflicting non-scoring status on the other at 24 and 12" is roughly equal. Beyond 24", the SM are at a dissadvantage.

The ONLY point for taking SM has to do only with the player's individual gaming needs. SM offer a wider range of possiblities than any other army. Wider possible fluff, organization, specialization, look, feel, smell--everything available in the game is more widely available for SM.

The ONLY point for not taking SM is that you don't want what is listed above.

Wanax
Old 28 Mar 2006, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Agreed with WANAX. Accessability and army freedom are great benefits.
However, Space Marines are rarely armed with just bolters in tactical squads. You may get 45 FW for 30 marines but you can get 3 Heavy Bolters for every FW. Flexibility is power.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 18:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen
ywa but with the new codex we can hit n 2's and wound on 3's with 144 shots like that makimum (if you have a load of pathfinderds) then some of the time SM's fail their save

anyway-thanks guys, I'm lucky as most of the Marine players at my club have jst moved up from the beggners one or are lacking in tactical adequacy

now I have a harder choice- what colour to paint them!

Closed Thread