Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First time Marine player
Closed Thread
Old 04 Mar 2006, 17:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default First time Marine player

Aright, Iíve been thinking about starting Space Marines, and this is what list Iíve made so far. I tried Blood Angels, but I can't settle on an army that I like that doesn't have power gamer written all over it. Iím not entirely sure which chapter I want to use with this army because I donít know much about all of them. Iím still trying to figure out what to do with the last 175 points of this list, because Iím only at 1325, and I canít decide what to doÖ

HQ1: 220 Points
Epistolary Librarian on a Bike with a Psychic Hood, Artificer Armour, a Force Weapon, Storm Shield, a Familiar, Fear of Darkness, and Veil of Time

Iíve been told this guy is an absolute CC monster and that heíll have lots of fun tearing my opponent. Most of the rest of the list is pretty shooty, so Iím a little worried about only have this as my one assault unit, along with his Attack Bike retinue. I figure with my speed I can stay away, at least for the most part, from power weapons, so that Iím re-rolling a 2+ save, and thatís just nigh-impossible to stop. Even with power weapons, Iíll still have my Storm Shield, so any way you slice it, heís going to be hard to kill. Hopefully his attack bike retinue can soften up whatever he decides to attack before they assault.

Tactical Squad1: 140 Points
3 Space Marines with Bolters
1 Space Marine with a Lascannon
1 Space Marine with a Plasma Gun
Veteran Sergeant with a Close Combat Weapon and a Bolter-Plasma Gun

Tactical Squad2: 140 Points
1 Space Marine with a Lascannon
1 Space Marine with a Plasma Gun
Veteran Sergeant with a Close Combat Weapon and a Bolter-Plasma Gun

Who doesnít love Las/Plas squads? 6 models so that they score unless they lose 4 models. Should provide good long-range Anti-Tank weaponry, or just Anti-Heavy Infantry.

Tactical Squad3: 135 Points
1 Space Marine with a Multi-Melta
1 Space Marine with a Meltagun
Veteran Sergeant with a Close Combat Weapon and a Bolter-Meltagun

Tactical Squad4: 135 Points
1 Space Marine with a Multi-Melta
1 Space Marine with a Meltagun
Veteran Sergeant with a Close Combat Weapon and a Bolter-Meltagun

Not sure how good these will be in-game, but they seem like they could come in handy. 3 big shots to take down tanks, heavy infantry, an IC, or whatever decides that they want a face full of melta. Open to other suggestions here.

Land Speeder Squadron1: 80 Points
1(2?) Land Speeder Tornado

Attack Bike Squadron: 100 Points
2 Attack Bikes with Heavy Bolters

Retinue for the Lord. Having 3T because of his Familiar was just not something that I was okay with. This will also give him a bit extra umph in CC, as well as some good shooting support while getting into CC.

Land Speeder Squadron2: 80 Points
1(2?) Land Speeder Tornado

I like land Speeders and think that they could be used to great effect. Although, a lot of people just use them as throw-away, but they should be protected as well as you can. They give some extra power, either for tank busting, or really for anything. They really are just a great all-around unit. I strayed away from bringing two squads of two because I donít want a Las/Plas squad to be able to drop two Land Speeders, because that would just be devastating to my army if that happened. Although, they have remained my top choice for adding the final points to this army.

Whirlwind Battery1: 85 Points

Vindicator Assault Tank: 125 Points

Demolisher cannons are beautiful on paper, but are they worth it on the field? That is my only worry about them, otherwise this tank seems like it is going to put a huge hole into my opponentís army, and quite likely the field, as wellÖ

Whirlwind Battery2: 85 Points

Theyíre WhirlwindsÖ What is there really to say? Park it behind some terrain and let loose!

Well, thatís my army. Itís pretty shooty, although the Librarian will definitely be able to beat some people down in CC. I think that Iíll deploy pretty heavy to the flanks, and leave the center pretty empty, except for my HQ, unless one side of my opponentís army seems stronger, then I will deploy him on that side to save my shooters. I canít wait to test this on the field, but Iíd like to get some feedback on it from other, more experienced players, and a chance to fill in those points! I honestly canít figure out what to add, or where to add for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 04 Mar 2006, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: First time Marine player

It could work....only problem I have is with those multi-meltas in your tactical squads. They are short range weapons and you can't move if you wish to fire such weapons. Since they don't ahve some way of getting around quickly they may not b using very much if at all which makes them a bit of a points sink.

Well, there is another problem but this is more personal opinion than anything. minimum size squads are to quick to die due to in comming fire or assualt and due to the low number of models, very likely to take leadership tests. ATSKNF is a very forgiving rule, but it's better to use it as a failsafe than to depend on it to keep your troops on the field.
Old 04 Mar 2006, 19:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default Re: First time Marine player

I was toying with the notion of some vet squads instead of the melta squads, which would help with some mobility and what-not, but I'm not sure if that's the road that I want to take or not. I'd prefer more shooting than more assault, and I'm not sure on how awesome of s hooting squad you can make with veterans, but I'll try some out and see what I can come up with. I also thought of replacing the whirlwinds with some devastator squads, just because devastator squads are awesome. I think I'm going to make a couple variant lists and psots them up and see which ones y'all like best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Closed Thread