Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ummm.... how do you kill tau with a Space Wolves Army?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jan 2006, 01:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ummm.... how do you kill tau with a Space Wolves Army?

Yeah, he's got so many units, that he has a different army every time.So I'd appreciate some general tips: like whether to rush or hang back O0
Old 28 Jan 2006, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ummm.... how do you kill tau with a Space Wolves Army?

get into combat with him as fast as you can
that should work

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

WEll his hammerheads are scary
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes, so all the more reason to kill them quickly with meltaguns or powerfists

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:11   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Get yourself some LongFangs tooled for anti-tank if you're afraid of his HH.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

expect the long fangs to die quickly though, because the units are so small and they don't have any ablative wounds.

the best idea is to get across the board and into cc quickly, shooting down the hammerheads as you go

GENDARME WING
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, go with Capt Wizz on this one
OR you could get a Landraider w/ some Termis and charge them up the field, killing the HH with the 2 TW lascannons. Even Railguns have trouble with that 14-14-14 armor
-Da Boss

P.S. I didn't publish the rules, they can be found on the download for the SM
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't play SW personally but I do butt heads with Mech Tau lists on a regular basis. Mobility is the key to defeating them... weather you use drop pods or rhino's you need to close the distance ASAP otherwise you're matches will be long and brutally painful.

If you want to use conventional transports run them in a double column behind cover. When cover isn't available don't be afraid to use those same rhino's as mobile walls... the hammerheads will eat them up for a round or two but the bulk of your troops will still get across the table. Try putting your AT squads in the lead of facing flank, that way when those particular rhino's get knocked out you just unload your heavy weapons and begin firing the next round while keeping one of your flanks protected by there damaged transport.

If you want to go with drop pods, land them right on top of his lines spaced a few inches apart (I know that wont always work out but it's what you want to strive for). Or use them to form a wedge that way you can limit the number of Tau units that can fire on a squad at a time while still having a wide range of targets yourself. Even if all of his troops are loaded up in devilfish you'll still be able to create effective fields of fire for your units while limiting his fields of fire.

General things to remember about Tau... They need to out number a marine squad at least 2:1 to have a chance at survival 3:1 to win. Tau aren't the gods of shooty people make them out to be, a heavy bolter will mow them down and marine armor saves will carry you through a war of attrition. If you manage to "stun" a hammerhead throw a powerfist or other suitable heavy weapon at it before it can get it's skimmer save back.

Without knowing more about both armies that's the best advice I can give... although I'm sure a few others here can give better
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 28 Jan 2006, 06:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

ignore land raiders and long fangs...load up on rhinos, with smoke and extra armour, and deploy your troops OUTSIDE them on the first turn

if you wanna take something to kill the hammerheads, take a few speeders with multi-meltas (you'd think they'd die really quickly, but if you have enough rhinos racing up the field, he's gonna have to make a choice). either that or a predator with autocannon and las sponsons...either of those should deal with the hammerhead. or you could just ignore it (unless its got and ion cannon, its not really that scary...)

and basically, rush him and engage him in cc as quickly as possible...does it for me pretty much every time

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Last night i played a 2000 pt. army with tau against a space wolves army. by the fourth turn i had wiped his army out except for his scout squad. so this is my list of the hardest things in the space wolves for the tau to deal with...
1. space wolf scouts- they show up on my side of the table, within assault range of my units, and proceeded to wipe through one unit of firewarriors and one unit of broadsides before i could kill them in shooting. :'(

2. land raiders - av 14 for any army is a pain, add a good cc squad and i'm in trouble.
3. a rune priest with a chooser of the slain - giving me a 50% chance of infiltrating with my kroot and my stealth tau just plain sucks. I made the role for the kroot, but my stealth troops ended up having to slog it on foot ( hoof, jetpack..?) >

under no circumstance do you deep strike!!!
My friend had two deep striking units, both veered off so that they were not in range to fire, and because you can't move or assault the turn you deep strike, he basically gave me free vp. ;D

any other tips i could give you would probably hurt the tau player, so... good luck.