6 tactical Marnies - plasma + heavy bolter 105

6 tactical Marnies - plasma + heavy bolter 105

Whirlwind 85

6 Devastators - Plasma cannon + lascannon 160

6 Devastators - Plasma cannon + lascannon 160

Venerable dread - twin las canon, missile launcher - extra armour 160

scouts 2 sniper, 1 heavy bolter, 1 bolter, 1 sergeant with sniper 85

Bike squad 3 bikes + sergeant - 2 plasma + attack bike with heavy bolter 198

The army is meant to be fairly flexible, ie it can sit and blast nids but also take the fight to the enemy if i am facing IG or static tau.

any suggestions? the bikes can be scrapped completely, as i havent bought them yet, i am not looking to spend a massive amount more but changing heavy and special weapons would be fine though, are the scouts a good investment in points or would a land speeder or something else be better?

the plan is for the devastators to concentrate on armour, then heavy infantry/ command squads.

the dread to take out as much armour as possible whilst drawing enemy fire, unfortunately all high strength weaponry will be heading its way, so i dont anticipate it lasting long.

Terminators - drop in mid game to take objective or hit any surviving command squad, or points heavy area.

scouts - infiltrate - annoy the enemy, slow the enemy down if i am lucky - take objectives if they are still around at the end.

tactical squads - compensate for weakness elsewhere, taking objectives.

whirlwind - what should it target??? - it cant be used effectively to deal with other indirect fire weapons can it? - so just densely packed troops?

bikes - hug cover for the beginning of the game limiting the enemies that can shoot at them - then race to take objectives or plug holes - i was considdering melta bombs but i figured by the time they would be using them there shouldnt be much heavy armour left ... and 2 plasma guns and a heavy bolter can deal with AV 10-11 fairly well

any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 27 Jan 2006, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500 Dark angels - feedback

Plasma cannons and lascannons don't mix well, with a 2 point strength difference and a 12" range difference. I'd segregate them, putting two into each squad. Actually, I'd put the plasma cannons in the tactical squads (at the price of a lascannon, remember!), and have heavy bolter and lascannon devastators, respectively. I assume the dreadnaught has tank hunters skill? Also, don't mix the scouts like that...makes them mediocre at everything. I'd either make all of them snipers or give all of them boltpistols and chainswords...drop the bikes (I assume they're ravenwing?), DA really gets hosed on ravenwing bikes...you pay 8 extra points, and don't get access to meltabombs (IMHO, the best use of bikes is 5 bikes with 2 flamers and meltabombs for everyone). Instead, consider buying two landspeeders and giving them assault cannons (Ravenwing still gets assault cannons at the old cost, so you end up getting the "jink" save for free, since +5 for being ravenwing and -5 for getting a cheaper assault cannon equals breaking even!). 2 landspeeders with assault cannons will be more effective than 4 bikes any day...and it's 28 points cheaper, to boot!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 27 Jan 2006, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeesh, you're a little light on the basics, aren't you?? 3 very small troops choices, one of which is a squad of scouts...IMO i'd be filling out my troops a little more, and cutting down on the fancy stuff

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 27 Jan 2006, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, sounds good, have altered the devastators and tac squads, and dropped the bikes and scouts and replacd them with 2 ravenwing land speeders, i have roughly 120 points spare - would a 3rd 6man tactical squad with heavy plasma be better than increacing my existing 2 tac squads to10 men each?

so roughly i need to buy 2 land speeders and the appropriate heavy weapons troops...

Old 28 Jan 2006, 14:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, nothing's better than two stuborn 10 man squad with power-fisting deathwing sergeants...except maybe three stuborn 10 man squads with power-fisting deathwing sergeants!

Take a look at my games day list...52 infantry, and 46 of them are troops choices.

Make sure that you paid the price of a lascannon, not the price of a plasma cannon, for the tactical squads' plasma cannons. It's a 5 point discount per squad that will probably go away when the new DA codex comes out.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread