Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Psykers...are they worth it?
Closed Thread
Old 27 Jan 2006, 09:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Psykers...are they worth it?

I hate librarians and other psykers. I've always thought that dodgy voodoo magicks and stuff should have stayed in Warhammer, rather than establishing themselves firmly in the realm of the 41st millenium. They really came into their own I think with the advent of 'Dark Millenium' (was that what it was called?). I remember reading a battle report in White Dwarf during which the Ork player's wierdboy saw fit to call on the power of Gork (was it Gork?) to stomp on an eldar weapons platform with a giant foot. I felt suddenly sheepish, slightly ashamed to associate myself with the hobby.

As a marine player I think can pull off an obsessive paranoia regarding psykers. They're witches, mutants and freaks. Their heretical souls must be cleased with purifying fire.

However...I think I may be overlooking some massive tactical opportunites by shunning all psykers. Am I wrong?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 10:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Psykers...are they worth it?

Psychers are some of the most important humans/witches in the galaxy. Thousands of them are sacrificed each day to sustain the Astronomican, and secure warp travel from the ships of the Empire. The most potent psyche rs are often taken into a chapter for training to become a Librarian and use his powers to aid his battle-brothers. Also many inquisitors and grey knights are psychers, and use their powers especially to purge daemons. This also goes for witch hunters (powers/witches). But there are also those psychers who allow them selves to become portals to the warp, letting daemons of chaos into the "real" world. This gives the empire a lot of troubles, purge those who are too dangerous, and keep the "useful" ones. Also the imperial guard has psychers, and if they get some warp troubles, the Commissar always keeps a boltshot ready.

Psychers are worth it. Totally. The librarian with his psychic hoos is your best friend agains eldar, and he packs a punch too. You can find good uses for your librarian here:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacema...2Dlibrarian/1/
Old 27 Jan 2006, 11:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read of that now. I only play against my brother at the moment (he's an Eldar player), but he doesn't use any such powers. He doesn't even field a Farseer! I always thought Eldar were famous for their psykers. What powers in particular would you say are most worth making use of in an Eldar army?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 11:25   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Thanks for the link, I'll have a read of that now. I only play against my brother at the moment (he's an Eldar player), but he doesn't use any such powers. He doesn't even field a Farseer! I always thought Eldar were famous for their psykers. What powers in particular would you say are most worth making use of in an Eldar army?
I'd say Fortune and Guide.

As for Librarians, yes they are well worth it, provided you use them right. I've seen people treat htem as 1 man armies just because they have pyschic powers. I'd recommend Veil of Time, but don't always use this as it isn't always reliable.

Also, put him in a command squad with a commander, this gives him an even longer life span and makes him harder to kill because he can't be targeted.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Librarians are very useful to have, both to defend against enemy psykers and to use their own powers (I'm including a force weapon in this as it counts as your psychic power for the turn).

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 27 Jan 2006, 16:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm gonna have to look into this force weapon thingy. I didn't realise they were effective in defending against enemy psykers, I'll have to read up on it. It seems to me that their greatest use is to turn the more fearsome members of their squad into close combat monsters. I might have to include one with my terminators. It's slowly dawning on me how utterly fearsome a squad of assault terminators can be (with lightning claws) when led by a chaplain (especially so when disgorged from a Land Raider). A librarian might have a similarly effective use in such a squad.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 21:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I find the two main uses of my librarian to be the force weapon (bye-bye, multi-wound model!) and contesting unfriendly psychic powers....like siren.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 27 Jan 2006, 23:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yup, even if you don't like any of the psychic powers (although why wouldn't you? there's something for everyone), a force weapon and a psychic hood are very useful in a "take on all comers" army.
they're great in Deathwatch KillTeams...

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Closed Thread