Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ebay - what next to buy next
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ebay - what next to buy next

Hi, i have collected tau and eldar on and off for the past err 12 years ... started young ... i have just bought the following of ebay for 60 plus 20 p&p ... was thinking toughness 4 and 3+ armour save might be a nice change.

1x Dreadnought
1x Whirlwind tank
1x Terminator squad
1x terminator chaplain
1x terminator captain/champion
1x cyclone terminator
1x minigun terminator
2x tactical squad
1x devastator squad (have assault squad bodies due to shops mistake)
1x lascannon guy
1x multimelta guy
1x xavier chaplain
1x scout squad (3 men)
1x command squad
1x dark angel leader
2x dark angel cloaked units (not sure if he means librarian type or snipers)
1x legion of the damned squad
1x legion of the damned leader

any suggestions on what else to get to bring it up to a decent all round list ... i was thinking a bike squad ... not sure about land raiders as they are fire magnets and drop podding terminators seems like a better idea... so maybe a 2nd dreadnaught and get some more devastators to make 2 smaller squads.... any suggestions? I am a complete newb with marines. I think the dread is twin lascannon and missile launcher ... is that viable or do they just die fast? sorry for the 100 questions! Also any suggestions on how that list with a few extras should be played ... i have also heard that lots of tactical squads is a major headache of opponents ... i certainly hated facing them ... oh and also are small tactical squads without heavy weapons a good idea, or are they too slow to be of any use ....

i am gonna shut up now
Old 26 Jan 2006, 04:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan
Default Re: Ebay - what next to buy next

Wow, that's quite a deal. Was there a catch? All that couldn't possibly cost that little if it weren't pre-assembled and painted poorly.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 08:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

You can deep strike Terminators for free, you don't need to invest in a drop pod for them. They just teleport in, so you might be right about using such a means of deployment over a Land Raider.

Dreadnaughts aren't that hard to kill, but they really excell in close combat. They might only have 2 attacks, but they're impervious to anything with strength less that 6 (unless they've got melta-bombs or something). This means against conventional infantry and even CC infantry like Howling Banshees, a Dreadnaught will win even if it inflicts only one casualty...it feels kinda like cheating, especially when you see that look on your opponants face when they realise no matter how many attacks they have to roll, they cannot possibly harm your dreadnaught! Upgrade it to venerable and it's just a nightmare for the enemy (especially if you're using Imperial Armour rules); it just won't die!

As for small tactical squads, I've not found them very effective. I've put them to good use as banshee fodder but they've just not been effective combat troops. Maybe I'm using them wrong, I only use two 5 man tactical squads, perhaps they're effective en masse? Always take a missile launcher with you though because your tactical squads might be able to target soft armour as they take ground over the battlefield.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 10:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamfan
Wow, that's quite a deal. Was there a catch? All that couldn't possibly cost that little if it weren't pre-assembled and painted poorly.
I am hoping the catch is that they are assembled and un painted (which is a major pain) but that much stuff for that money, i could live with that, hoping there arent any more catches... is there a codex dark angels scheduled for release any time soon?
Old 26 Jan 2006, 11:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

There is one already, or is it a bit dated for your purposes now?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 15:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I assumed it was made obsolete when the new codex space marines came out ...
Old 26 Jan 2006, 15:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't think so...people are still using it. Do you know something we don't?
Old 27 Jan 2006, 16:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

People still use it, and there is an FAQ that brings the DA codex up to date with 4th ed. codex. The FAQ is posted on the HQ rules clarification thread in the SM forum.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 16:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

cheers, yeah i found it on GW's site earlier today
Old 29 Jan 2006, 08:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

If you are playing DA, why do you need the Lost and the Damned squads? Just for a deal?