Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tournament of cheese infinite
Closed Thread
Old 23 Jan 2006, 19:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Tournament of cheese infinite

The weekend tournament is over, and I and my Fallen Angels stand once again victorious. But this time, I have never had so much trouble in a game. I have fought 5 opponents who had used as much cheese I have ever seen. OK, once or twice someone has used a list of brie, but when half the players makes the gamestore into a French cheese orgy, it is almost not fun to play.

Opponent 1. Sisters of battle.
Low point Cannoness, and some Arco-flagellants, and a ***tload of transports/tanks.
3 exorcists, 3 dominion squads all with melta, and the rest of the army stormtroopers/sob in rhinos. Thank the Emperor for my amount of high strength weapons. Took most rhinos down on turn one, and made peacemail of them in the following turns. Exorcists are hell. Nuff said.

Opponent 2. Imperial Guard
Every command squad was filled with veterans and power weapons. 1 leman russ, 1 demolisher, and a basilisk. 4 full squads of sentinels. Rest of points went in troops with different heavy weapons. Got quickly into close quarters with bikes and assault squads+ land raider filled with cc marines. Game over. (insane scattering of ordinance)

Opponent 3. Eldar
Classic. Three wraithlords, lots of war walkers and wraithgurad and psychers.
Stand and shoot. Librarian Marcus made a great job nullifying most of the eldar psychic powers. lords fell to lots of everything I had.

Opponent 4. Grey Knights
No less than 5 squads of knights with psycannons. The remains in terminators. Good to know that the weapons was not strong enough to penetrate my land raider. And with the large amount of squads on the small map, I actually "yelled" out loud "Tank shock for teh win!" Shocking back and forth and putting the troops down at range.

Opponent 5. Space marines
The worst battle ever. Think of the concept of 14 plasmacannons with tank hunters in a 2200p army. The remains went in terminators. (Even worse is that he was trying to cheat. Plasmacannons shoot 48' my a**). Long hard annoying battle. I won. 2 terminators was all that was left on the table. Both mine. I have fought against this guy before, with the SAME result! Believe it or not. The only difference was that I used a little different list, and he had added three more plasmacannons.

Proof that balanced lists are better than cheesy ones. You need to make good use of the opposing army's weaknesses.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 02:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tournament of cheese infinite

First battle i every played.
Guy played grey knights. Minimun troops 2 squads of 5 stormtroopers or whatever they are called. single HQ guy with the hammer and the eagle in his arm with servitors. 1 land raider crusader. Rest Gk terminators with cc weapons. 24 plus of them. lost but killed a lot of the terminators
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 25 Jan 2006, 09:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

congrats on the win.
I would say that a SoB army with lots of transports isn't really cheesey though, it's one of only three ways of playing SoB (swarm, mech, hybrid swarm/ mech).

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 25 Jan 2006, 10:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

nah.. but maybe three exorcists in one army. But on the otherhand what to do for 2200 points of sisters?

The imperial guard army doesent sound cheest thou...

What did you field?
Old 25 Jan 2006, 10:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

three exorcists is the only decent way to get long-range anti-tank (well, AP1 at least), and besides, 2200pts of all-metal sisters? I'd want lots of tanks to break it up too.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 25 Jan 2006, 11:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If their list wasn't cheese, they were mix/max-ing.Using the strenghts of their lists to the full extent. But the sob list with 3 squads = 12 meltaguns, I think is a bit much. But he also had filled in as many meltaguns as possible too. The guard had only focused on shooting exept for 5 men with power weapons. Min/max.
Eldar I don't think I need to explain at all.
What I fielded was 2 command squads, one with a captain with power claws and a librarian.
A 6 man marine squad with plasmagun/cannon in a razorback with lascannons.
A 10 man marine squad with meltagun/powerfist mounted in a Land Raider.
A 10 man assault squad 2pl. pistols and a power fist.
And a bike squad with 2 meltas+ attack bike with multimelta.
And a 5 man squad of terminators with 1 assaultcannon.
That's all I remember. Haven't got the list in hand.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The weekend tournament is over, and I and my Fallen Angels stand once again victorious. But this time, I have never had so much trouble in a game. I have fought 5 opponents who had used as much cheese I have ever seen. OK, once or twice someone has used a list of brie, but when half the players makes the gamestore into a French cheese orgy, it is almost not fun to play.

Opponent 1. Sisters of battle.
Low point Cannoness, and some Arco-flagellants, and a ***tload of transports/tanks.
3 exorcists, 3 dominion squads all with melta, and the rest of the army stormtroopers/sob in rhinos. Thank the Emperor for my amount of high strength weapons. Took most rhinos down on turn one, and made peacemail of them in the following turns. Exorcists are hell. Nuff said.

most people complain about overly tooled up characters. be glad the blessed saint didn't make an appearance. its hardly a cheesy list. Mechanised Sisters is a very decent list to play with.

Opponent 2. Imperial Guard
Every command squad was filled with veterans and power weapons. 1 leman russ, 1 demolisher, and a basilisk. 4 full squads of sentinels. Rest of points went in troops with different heavy weapons. Got quickly into close quarters with bikes and assault squads+ land raider filled with cc marines. Game over. (insane scattering of ordinance)

and this is cheesy?

Opponent 3. Eldar
Classic. Three wraithlords, lots of war walkers and wraithgurad and psychers.
Stand and shoot. Librarian Marcus made a great job nullifying most of the eldar psychic powers. lords fell to lots of everything I had.

wraithguard are dodgy as hell. wraithlords are slow. warwalkers are slow, expensive and vunerable. hardly cheesy.

Opponent 4. Grey Knights
No less than 5 squads of knights with psycannons. The remains in terminators. Good to know that the weapons was not strong enough to penetrate my land raider. And with the large amount of squads on the small map, I actually "yelled" out loud "Tank shock for teh win!" Shocking back and forth and putting the troops down at range.

grey knights = cheese? new one to me.

Opponent 5. Space marines
The worst battle ever. Think of the concept of 14 plasmacannons with tank hunters in a 2200p army. The remains went in terminators. (Even worse is that he was trying to cheat. Plasmacannons shoot 48' my a**). Long hard annoying battle. I won. 2 terminators was all that was left on the table. Both mine. I have fought against this guy before, with the SAME result! Believe it or not. The only difference was that I used a little different list, and he had added three more plasmacannons.

hardly cheesy. shooty SM army from hell.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

14 Plasma cannons with Tank Hunters IS cheese. You've got 14 blast weapons capable of doing S8 on vehicles, and wiping several marines in one shot. I've seen SM shooty armys of hell. They are effective, and not loaded with plasmacannons. They combine all sorts of weapons to a great effect, but often need to be coordinated right. just putting 14 plasmacannons in isn't a tactical shooty Sm army from hell list. Its a noob list. He probably thought when making this lis t"Ah, I'll just throw in as much of the best weapon in as I can."

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 25 Jan 2006, 22:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

How could you not mean that none of this is cheesy? How would you define cheese?
I considered SoB as cheese because of the exorcists plus a total of 18+ meltaguns in the list.
The imperial guard was perhaps not too cheesy, but 12 sentinels is a bit too much.
The Eldar, I consider automatically 3 wraithlords as cheesy, and I think I have many with me who has the same opinion.
And a grey knight army with 5 squads of 5 men plus 25 terminators...?

You have every right to correct me, but I really would like to know what you would define as a cheesy list.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 22:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chton
How could you not mean that none of this is cheesy? How would you define cheese?
I considered SoB as cheese because of the exorcists plus a total of 18+ meltaguns in the list.
The imperial guard was perhaps not too cheesy, but 12 sentinels is a bit too much.
The Eldar, I consider automatically 3 wraithlords as cheesy, and I think I have many with me who has the same opinion.
And a grey knight army with 5 squads of 5 men plus 25 terminators...?
I'd say that many exorcists and meltaguns borders on cheese, but in 2200pts (I think it was), that doesn't strike me as overkill.

12 sentinels is too many

3 wraithlords (except in Iyanden) is too many

min-maxed GK squads eith Psycannons and 25 terminators seems as cheesey as GK can get.

GENDARME WING
Closed Thread