im now a marine
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2006, 22:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default im now a marine

hello

i want to tryout an iron hand army for awhile

and have chosen a small battle force
feel free to comment. i have an open mind on wargear and other equipment.

hq

chaplin/pistol/jump pack

elites
5 terminators/assult cannons/deep strike

troops
10 marines/bolters/plasma
10 marines /bolters/flamer/veteran power weapon{strike team}
10 marines /bolters/veteran power fist
10 marines/bolters/heavy bolter
5 scouts/sniper

fast attack
8 assualt marines/chain sword/pistol/veteran /power fist/plasma pistol 2

heavy support

dreadnaught /power fist/assualt cannon
dreadnaught/lascannons/missle launcher
6 deavestators /rockets, and heavy bolters
predator anillator/lascannons{i always wanted to try a predator with all heavy bolters}

transport
rhino1 {strike team}
rhino2 {veteran squad}
{one more rhino?}
i like my troops ;D

Old 21 Jan 2006, 22:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: im now a marine

You should be a little more specific for example: is your Hq a master or captain, are there any modififcations in your tactical squads if not put w/ bolters or whatever. Once you do that you can probably get a better response.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 22 Jan 2006, 11:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

whos the transports for?

When you write "strike team" I guess that you will use it to advance.. then you will not use the heavy bolter much.. better to replace it with a special weapon.. plasma gun for clos support or flamer/melta gun if you want to charge. Also give them a veteran with power weapon or better yet a power fist so they can do some damage in close combat.

Then find a purpose for you're other two squads too. A big squad with lot's of bolters is good for taking out infantry.. but not a missle launcher. Maybe better give them a heavy bolter then.. it's cheaper.. if you face heavy infantry a plasma gun is a better choice then a missile launcher as it negates 2+ saves.
If you want a tactical squad for taking out tanks make it small and with a missile launcher or las cannon. But you already have a devestator squad and predator for this.. if you opponents field lot's of tanks you can get a dereadnought with lascannon/missile launcher.

Also if I where you I would give the chaplain a bolt pistol and jump pack and attach him to the assaultsquad. The assault squad then also needs a veteran with a power fist to deal some damage. If you can get another marine for the squad aswell.. in a squad of 6 youre opponent needs to kill 4 marines to take it below 50% and in a squad of 5 they only need to kill 3.

Give youre captain a storm bolter and power weapon and let him advance with you're strike team.

Give you're terminators two assault cannons and deep strike them in support of the strike team and assault squad.

You could also consider taking "true grit" for youre strike team. There was another tread on that just awhile ago here.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i want to tryout an iron hand army for awhile

Nice fluffy choice . For now you're better off mostly ignoring their traits, only expounding on them once you've fleshed out your basic list, which by the way is pretty doing fine so far.

hq
captain/power weapon

chaplain/pistol/jump pack

I'd pick only a single one for now, using both only in larger engagements, unless you've got no choice in the matter for now. Both needs Frag Grenades, vital for charging units in cover (better to strike simultaneously than after most of your foes attacks). Otherwise, the Chappy's quite fine (he'd be perfect with 2 Lightning Claws, Terminator Honours and Adamantine Mantle, but then his pts would go through the roof___and he isn't guaranteed of making up his pts in return).

If you're keeping the Capt on foot, a Storm Bolter isn't a bad idea like Pontus suggested. But I'd go for a Lightning Claw, as Str4 Power Weapons doesn't hack it VS other Marines, Chaos or Necrons. A Combat Shield wouldn't be bad either, as a 5+ Invul save in melee can sometimes go a long way.

elites
5 terminators/assult cannons/deep strike

Textbook standard field Termies___check! If you think you're going VS Skimmer heavy armies often, the Tankhunter vet skill would make for a great investment.

troops
8 marines/bolters/plasma
8 marines /bolters/flamer/veteran power weapon{strike team}
8 marines /bolters/veteran power fist

These seem okay. Mass Bolter volleys are always fun!! Maybe giving to the 3rd squad a Meltagun would be great, as it's ideal to pick off ICs, MCs and vehicles in a pinch as needed. Filling these squads to 10 men strong could be terrific, as it gives you more wounds and Bolt rounds___never underestimate the humble yet mighty Bolter!

Also, filling out your last 3 Troop choices wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd suggest going for the powergamer/cookiecutter config of choice, namely the 6-men Lascannon + Plasmagun squads (or Las/Plas squad for short). They're cheap, yet potent at long range and even more so at 24" and absolutely punishing at 12"___any closer and your foes will eat them alive. But they're cheap, so you can stand losing them depending on your objectives. They're also indicated for keeping a presence on your table quarters, while your other units advance to grab other quarters and/or mission objectives. However, they're considered cheesy/beardy/broken, so if it isn't your cup of tea, don't pick them.

Another groovy option is Scout squads___cheap (for Marines) and most of all, able to Infiltrate. Useful for grabbing objectives, run interference or denying good Infiltrating spots for opposing Infiltrating units, a vital commodity if going VS Alpha Legion in non-Alpha type missions.
They also have access to Sniper Rifles, which are useful VS low armor/Ld units, as it causes Pinning or for wounding those Monstrous Creatures without good Armor saves like the Keeper of Secrets or C'Tans.

fast attack
6 assualt marines/chain sword/pistol/veteran /power fist

Humm... Depending upon which duty they draw, their numbers might be changing.
If mostly used for Countercharge/defensive purposes, adding 2 Plasma Pistols (cheap, powerful and able to slag vehicles) and maybe 2 more Marines would be ideal, though they're pretty much fine as they are.

If meant for going on the offense, then boosting their numbers by 2-4 more Marines would be indicated, as they're going to need numbers to remain a viable force. Also, adding either 2 Plasma Pistols or 1 Plasma Pistol + 1 Flamer are essential, as well maybe Meltabombs for vehicle skragging wouldn't go far wrong.

No matter which config you're using them, sticking your assault squads behind cover is pretty much mandatory, as they're too expensive to loose to a few loose rounds of whichever. You can use your Rhinoes and downed vehicles as cover as needs be.

heavy support

1 dreadnaught/lascannons/missile launcher
predator annihilator/lascannons

Add Extra Armor to both, as whenever they're shocked/stunned, they'll be able to retreat behind terrain to gain obscurement or either go into melee with the Dread or Tank Shocking with the Pred.

Also, the Pred might be better with Hvy Bolter sponsons instead, as it'll be able to move and discharge all its weapons upon infantry, unlike the Lascannons, which mandates remaining stationnary should you wish firing more than one, plus being a high priority target to boot.

Alternatively, going for a Pred Destructor (with Autocannon) wouldn't be a bad idea, as it's a mobile anti-infantry shooting platform and a relatively low-priority target. Plus, you lack some heavy anti-personnel, so either it or the Pred suggested above wouldn't hurt at all.

5 devestators /rockets, and heavy bolters

This is the unit needing the most rework, apart for HQs.
As a rule of thumb, there shouldn't be less than 2 Marines for each hvy weapons in any Devastator/Havok-pattern squads, with a minimum of 6 Marines___it's because those hvy weapons are real expensive and if you've got too few spare Marines to act as extra ablative "wounds", soon enough you'll start losing expensive guns. So, 3 guns in a 6-men squad or 4 guns in a 8-men squad are optimal configs.

Now, your other problem is that Hvy Weapons in Dev squads are good when mixed up. Should you shoot upon vehicles, most of the times the Hvy Bolters are useless, unless if going against Speeder/Raider/Trukk heavy armies. Hvy Bolters are made to shoot at troops, mostly the soft puny ones like Orks, Eldars, Genestealers and Gaunts.
On the flip side, the Missile Launcher isn't too shabby as antipersonnel guns, despite the small Blast-type weapons getting shafted in 4th Ed. They mostly shine when going vehicle/Marine sniping.
So, I'd pick a single gun type for your Dev squad, as well increasing their numbers by 1, or 3 if going for 3 Hvy Weapons.

transport
1 razor back{evac}

It isn't legal, as Razorbacks can only be assigned to a single 6-men squad and no other else. So you'd either have to reduce a Tac squad's effectives to 6 or transform it into a Rhino.
No matter which way you're going with it, Extra Armor and Smoke Launcher are essential upgrades.

rhino1 {strike team}
rhino2 {veteran squad}

Again, Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers. These could also serve as mobile walls for your assault squad.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Try to get something to field by this summer, because the enemies of the imperium are converging on your homeworld of Medusa and any Iron Hand worth his WD-40 better be prepared to defend it!

Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

transport
1 razor back{evac}

[i]It isn't legal, as Razorbacks can only be assigned to a single 6-men squad and no other else. So you'd either have to reduce a Tac squad's effectives to 6 or transform it into a Rhino.

one of my squads is going to trug on foot to try to drag something by it
the razor back is something fo rif one of my squads are going to be killed 6-4 guys.
my rhinos are going to be running around the battle field after drop off.

i will defend medusa

Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:58   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

You CAN'T take the razorback on its own, you have to have it attached to a squad of 6 men.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 23 Jan 2006, 23:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

really?

Old 24 Jan 2006, 03:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Great choice for an army, fellow Medusan! Might I suggest a dreadnaught.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Closed Thread