Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Three cheers for heavy flamers!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 10:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Three cheers for heavy flamers!

I played my brother three times over the weekend (Space Marines Vs Eldar) and came away with three Victorious slaughters! In two out of three games the objectives became secondary to the fighting as I completely exterminated his entire army. He has rather a penchant for bunching up poorly armoured troops and charging headlong at Heavy flamer armed terminators. Last night, his Banshees lept from their Wave Serpent and assaulted my nearby Tactical squad, shredding them utterly. The retribution was swift, violent and decisive. Eight of them were burned alive and the survivors were ruthlessly gunned down by squad Krull's combined assault cannon/storm bolter fire, Jain Zar herself being executed by Brother Captain Taelos. That same terminator squad had just one turn earlier exterminated the Fire Dragons and Warp spiders by similar means. A splendid moment of victory for the heavy flamer, proving it's fearsome effectiveness and thus retaining it's place within my Terminator command squad.

In other battles, my dreadnaughts have put their own heavy flamers to similar use, thus detering those units that must get in close in order to do some damage. My dreadnaughts always stick together too...formidable foes for anyone considering going toe to toe with them.

Damn I love heavy flamers...I think I'll go and burn something. >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Three cheers for heavy flamers!

Congrats on the wins Tom.

You just discovered something that generally Witch Hunter players come to enjoy in a hushed sense- the wonderful Heavy Flamer. Heavy flamers are absolute murder to the rest of the non-power armored universe, and they are excellent for fending off hordes or in this case, assaulting banshees.

Just don't forget your basic bolter fire against Eldar either. Against Eldar, you want to take weapons with high rate of fire, not necessarily weapons with high strength. Take a few heavy bolters too and watch those banshees vanish like they were never there.

Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, I know...I'm loaded up with AP 4 weapons. Plus my heavy bolter toting Prometheus! He doesn't use many guardians though. He plays Alaitoc so you can always count on a lot of Rangers digging in among the rocks (affording an excellant invulnerable cover save), but assault marines with flamers make short work of them. He's getting very frustrated now.

;D
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
He's getting very frustrated now.
Not to be mean or anything, but that's good news to me.

Which may sound weird because I'm first and foremost an Eldar player. ???

But it's good for him to be frustrated for a while so he can sharpen his skills and improve his play. Then maybe he changes it up and then you become frustrated with his new tactics. As it flip-flops both of you guys grow to be better players, smarter players, and experienced in several different tactics.

I play primarily with my brother, and we've been fighting each other for 14 years now. We always have excellent, competitve battles, and we're both better players for having fought each other so often, with so many different armies and tactics.

Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Really...we could get better just by playing one another? I thought it would have the opposite effect. I thought we'd get good at fighting one another's respective armys. But yours in an interesting point. Perhaps you're right...although I'd be better off I think if I fought a diverse variety of enemies.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Really...we could get better just by playing one another? I thought it would have the opposite effect. I thought we'd get good at fighting one another's respective armys.
Well, you will be more specialized at fighting each other's armies, but your skills as generals will improve.

You'll start to pay attention to movement distances, which models to move, target priority, etc. These are skills that you can use against any opponent, not just your brother.

And yes- the best is experience would be to play against as many different opponents and armies as you can. But having a close sibling to play regularly with, that will improve your skills as well.

My brother and I have about 16 or so different armies between the two of us. That makes it nearly impossible for us to get bored playing against each other.

Old 16 Jan 2006, 15:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wow! That must have great scope for setting up campaigns...you could have two or more allies fighting as warring factions, swapping out one army for another as the battle progresses. Such variety, it must be great.

I'm gonna be an Eldar hunting veteran before long. Maybe I ought to start modelling Eldar trophies onto my units? Might be a bit unfair (and against the rules) if I declare my Marines have the Preferred enemy: Eldar special skill mind you.

Burn the Witch!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 17:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hehe, I do the same against my brother only he plays Tyranids. This way I can actually have the official 'Tyranid Hunters'.
lol
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2006, 18:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

I dunno how useful flamers can get, though. You have to get up close, so maybe you get 1 attack before they're assaulted. I guess against hordes they can be useful, but I play against Tyranids and Tau. It's not smart to get close to Tyranids, and to get close to Tau I have to survive massive amounts of firepower.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I play a hybrid army but when i'm facing Tyranids, you can be sure that I want to saty as far away from them as humanly possible. It's just the ones that get close enough are the ones that get punished. Most of us know what a full strength tactical marine squad can do when taking up a defensive position against a horde army of weak infantry.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote