Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Techy and Gun Servitors
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jan 2006, 20:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Techy and Gun Servitors

OK, this has been talked about before, but today I was practically booed out of my local game store by talking about how I plan on using my Techmarine in my new and under assembly army. :-[ They called me Power Gamer Cheesy and all that, but I really don't see this as abusive... well, here's the Elite Unit:

Techmarine, vanilla
Gun Servitor: Heavy Bolter
Gun Servitor: Plasma Cannon
Total Cost: 185 points

Apparently this is an odd use of a Techy because of the reactions I always get for it. But I can't see why this isn't a desireable unit. Its EXACTLY the same cost of an equivalent devastator squad (don't forget to account for the 'powerfist' servo arm), with a reduced armor save, but so SO much more: higher Ld, an additional power weapon, a Signum, and an Auspex!

OK, now this is where it goes from odd to 'cheesy' at the local game store: Everything has a range of 3 feet or more, the Plasma Cannon will never burn out, since the Signum allows me to re roll one missed to hit roll, even if that miss is a gets hot 1! If the PlasCannon doesn't fry, and hits, then each round of firing I get to re-roll 3 dice from any 1 hvy bolter. And woe betide any infiltrators in 4d6 range at start of game... that's 12 dice and a High S, low AP blast template heading their way, which could wipe out a unit before the game even begins... oh! and again with a rerolled to hit! >

that was pretty much my conversation with the gamer guys at the store, and that was when I was booed out of there.... hmph! That's not powergaming is it? I didn't do a points analysis until I started posting this, and was pretty sure a Dev squad would have been cheaper. The 'Cheesy or Beardy' line would be to put an apothecary within 6" of the servitor firebase.. but my Chaplain has other plans...
Old 14 Jan 2006, 20:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Techy and Gun Servitors

well it looks like an effective unit, and id take one myself if servitors didnt look so aweful. but its clearly not used for what its supposed to. gun servitors are meant to shoot to keep the enemy occupied while the techmarine does his thing. id have no problem playing against them, since a heavy bolter volley will deal with the lot, but its not very fluffy.

Old 14 Jan 2006, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ultima Weapon

That seems good, but I did'nt buy the good techmarine (the one with servitors/harness)
And I have no tanks...
But that is a solid squad, but I thought they were just for repairs...
You get the picture.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

but really now, why think of them as just for repairs? Mere wrench turning detail is in my opinion an insult to the Techy. Fluff-wise: the Techmarine may be assigned on a PlasmaCannon overheat prevention detail, as described above, in a role of Fire Support.

I havent looked into this much yet, but a CC Techmarine is a worse monster than a chappy or librarian! lookit this:

Techmarine: Full Servo Harness (count em! that 1 powerweapon, 1 bolter, 1 twin linke plasma pistol, 1 flamer, and.. oh! 2 powerfists... with a 2+ armor save) : and you want him to just tighten lug nuts..
Combat Servitors (4) thats 4 powerfists with additional CCWs
Stock Razorback
270 Points and room still for an Independant character to attach and ride along.. say, a Chaplain!

Fluff for this guy would be the Techmarine looks around, finds no broken vehicles, so heads over to start 'dissasembling' some Chaos Terminators! :P Dont forget though, there is still always the option to head over and do some repairs... that doesnt have to be the end all be all existence of the poor guy!
Old 14 Jan 2006, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ultima Weapon

You have a point. I thought they werent all that...
You get the picture.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 21:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I see nothing wrong with this unit, and those people must have been in a bad mood to boo you out of the store for that. But there is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
If the PlasCannon doesn't fry, and hits, then each round of firing I get to re-roll 3 dice from any 1 hvy bolter.
Signums only reroll one missed shot per turn, not one gun. So it would be either the Plasma Cannon rerolling, or one missed Heavy Bolter shot.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 15 Jan 2006, 00:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Using a Techmarine+Gun Servitors is actually a pretty bad idea, because as soon this squad starts taking wounds, you remove valuable figs right off the bat! You can't have spar Marines to serve as ablative wounds!

Furthermore, taking Servitors ruins the TM's indep charact untargetability, making him highly vulnerable.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 00:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I personally think that the Techmarine is better with a harness and joining a rhino squad to add some assault punch.

but if you wanted to do this, you could sit the unit at the back right next to a whirlwind or predator so that the Techie could repair any damage.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 16 Jan 2006, 04:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I always use the techmarine w/ gunnys. The servitors are excellent at shooting and w/ the signum they are devastating. Plus, if the servitors get killed, I've got another IC running about! Even so, I always make sure to give them the best cover I can find, that helps insure survivability.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 07:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_kodo
Using a Techmarine+Gun Servitors is actually a pretty bad idea, because as soon this squad starts taking wounds, you remove valuable figs right off the bat! You can't have spar Marines to serve as ablative wounds!

Furthermore, taking Servitors ruins the TM's indep charact untargetability, making him highly vulnerable.
Exactly why this isn't beardy. Two Starcannons.

I was thinking along the lines of this today. Massive firepower or assault power... I would imagine fixing a vehicle highly situational.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread