Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar...how'd you kill 'em?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jan 2006, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Eldar...how'd you kill 'em?

My brother is an Eldar player. I am currently leading 2-1, but by the narrowest of margins. He uses a massive amount of Rangers and a squad of pathfinders which are a constant thorn in my side. I'm sure you're familiar with the Ranger longrifle special rule; I won't spell it out, but basically a to-hit roll of six spells bad news for Space Marine players...it's even better for Pathfinders. I've put together an assault squad for the sole purpose of Ranger seek-and-destroy but is there a better way to do it? Would I be better off investing in whirlwinds or infiltrating with bolt gun toting scouts?

And what about wraithlords? What the best way to kill those beasts? I've considered sniper rifles, but it doesn't seem ideal. Assault cannons have proved quite effective but is there something I've overlooked?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Eldar...how'd you kill 'em?

Flamers are your best bet... the problem is getting them into range.

Rangers and Pathfinders struggle against vehicles, so use that to your advantage. Load up in Rhinos, Razorbacks and Land Raiders. Lascannons will drop the Wraithlord no trouble, but Assault Cannons do indeed work (I loved wasting an Avatar with them...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Jan 2006, 13:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Vehicles eh? Rhino's and Razorbacks have some tremendously thin armour though and I'll have to compete with falcon mounted pulse lasers. I suppose they're only transports, not combat vehicles so it doens't much matter if they snuff it early on. Smoke launchers and extra armour? Or is that too much to pay for a bit of mobility?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Both. Stay mobile to stay alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Jan 2006, 14:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Cool, thanks bud.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

well, whats his army list.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Last game he fielded a Falcon, an Avatar, a squad of fire dragons, a fire prism, three squads of rangers (each three strong), a squad of pathfinders and a Farseer.

He'll be bringing out his Wraithlord again soon though...it's currently languishing in the acid bath awaiting repainting. I think he's just bought another falcon too. :-\
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

And whats your army.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 15:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry, Space Marines...I guess I didn't make that very clear. I guess the various forum headings are just more like guidelines than truly specific to the specified armys. So what would you suggest?
Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's a nasty army he's got there but its not very big!

I would suggest

a) taking as many models as possible, 1 on 1 space marines will pound the snot out of eldar at close range.

b) taking the trait that lets you infiltrate your whole army.

Now you can deploy close to him letting you get into bolter range on the first turn.
So those rangers shouldn't be to much of a problem any more.

You can suplement your numbers with some nice cheap scout squads. Take one squad with close combat weapons to deal with his fire dragons in combat and provide support for your HQ.

For the second squad take sniper rifles/missile launcher.
This squad can target his Avatar and make short work of it and also deal with his Wraithlord very effectivley. Once those are dead they can still continue to fire at the Fire/Prism falcon with the missle launcher and the sniper rifles still have a chance of glancing it which is usually the best you can hope for against a skimmer.

For some added mobility a landspeeder tornado or two won't go amiss, these things are a real bargain and at 24" they can pump out 7 shots, 4 of which are rending, use them to handle anything thats giving you trouble because they'll be able to hurt his whole army, be they avatar, wraithlord, falcon or ranger!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread