Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My happy little army
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My happy little army

Hello
I need some help with my happy little army...happy because my space marines never had any work to be done,and small because:

HQ-Librarian
Troops:
Squad 1-Tactical squad 10 marines ( one with flamer;one with rocket launcher;seargent with chainsword and boltpistol;others with regular boltgun)

Squad 2-Tactical squad 10 marines ( one with flamer;one with rocket launcher;seargent with chainsword and boltpistol;others with regular boltgun)

Fast attack:
-Regular assault squad with 6 marines
-Regular land speeder equipped with heavy bolter

Heavy support:
-Predator annihilator

I'm thinking of adding maybe some scouts with snipers (i like long range combat),one or 2 terminator squad to terminate some heretics,and maybe a whirlwind...for long range combat,what do you think I need? I could use some help..

Thanks,
Daxter
Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My happy little army

Daxter,

What point level are you trying to configure for? Also, are you playing a major chapter or will you be taking any divergent traits?

Right now it looks like you have a decent mix of stuff, and you can get some range and tactical flexibility out of what you already have. A whirliwind would be great for indirect fire support, and I'd look into a dreadnought or two if I were you.

Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not sure how many points to use yet,I'm still a beginner...I'm kinda creating this new chapter,and I'm probably going to use dark angel's rules...they are cool.But the dreadnought idea sounds good!
Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe some devastators with missile launchers or heavy bolters. And some plasma guns instead of those flamers.Flamers are short range and you wanted long range combat. Maybe the flamers would be put to better use in the assault squad.
Also try to find a purpose for each squad. For example a squad of ten marines with 8 bolters and a flamer would be a waste to fire at a tank with the missile launcher. Instead get some heavy bolters in there if you want to stand and shoot and maybe a plasma gun. Now everything is good at the same thing.. killing infantry at longer range. The plasma gun can be good against heavy infantry.. or save some points by not taking it. Move the missile launcher in to a devastator squad, now you have two missiles firing at the same tank with better change of destroying it and not so many guns wasted. If you get more missile launchers it will be even better.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ultima Weapon

You've got the tactical squads, thats good, but a dreadnought w/ assault cannon is a healthy choice for destroying the weaker races.
You get the picture.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just my two cents but I think Land Speeders are generally better FA choices in larger armies. If I were you i'd spend the points on a transport to move some of those tactical squads around (very important for any scenario and against ranged opponents). And you'll proabably want a Dreadnaught as suggested but here's a really good tip:
Never bring just one Dread or Predator, they're much less effecient alone.
Instead, drop the Pred and bring two Dreads outfitted for different strengths in its place.
Good luck, hope that helped a little.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 19:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks all..thats good help..It seems everyone agrees that dreadnoughts are the best idea so im gonna follow it...
Old 11 Jan 2006, 19:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or maybe another pred instead of a dreadnought.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That would follow the general rule. 2 dreads or 2 preds, depends on whether you take out the landspeeder and use its points on transportation.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
That would follow the general rule. 2 dreads or 2 preds, depends on whether you take out the landspeeder and use its points on transportation.
I dont see why it should be 2 predators or 2 dreadnaughts. Ive seen a predator and dread used very well together. With a twin linked lascannon and missil launcher the dread can form a long range fire support and the predator can act as forward firepower moving forward with transports. Alternatively Ive seen the predator annihilator used as long range anti tank while an assault cannon and DCCW armed dread moved forward with the troops. They can work well together.

Closed Thread