Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Space Marine tanks
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2006, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Space Marine tanks

I've heard alot of moaning and groaning all over about the SMurf's tanks and to be honest, it irritates me. So, I'm going to "set the record straight," atleast in my opinion.

Vindicators can be as hateful as any other tank. Have you ever tried to take an objective with a well concealed vindicator dropping shells on it? Its totally insane. Space marine tanks are not weak. Not at all. I wish more than anything GKs had predators. What Marine tanks require is finese. They're a rapier while Leman Russ tanks are sledge hammers.

The true weakness of most spacemarine tanks is that most Marine players, too my knowledge, only take one tank, which is immediately shot up. Like Dreadnoughts, 2 predators are much, much better than one. The splitting of the fire and effort between two targets more than halves the effectiveness of the enemy fire.

Every Single Predator varient is great. The Predator Annhilator with sponson heavy bolters makes a great mobile fire base. The Predator Destructer makes a great poor man's Predator Annhilator when given sponson lascannons, and can also throw some impressive fire against transports with its main gun. Either way, my only must is you should always put sponsons on the tank. The Heavy bolter sponsons are cheap, allow mobility, and even a Predator with a linked lascannon in the turret made for mobile anti tank can benefit from the anmti infintry fire vrs hordes.

The Vindicator is a great offensive and defensive vehicle. Give it Power of the Machine Spirit, smoke launchers and let it go. Noone can or should ignore this deadly a distraction. It basicly gives your vindicator Demonic Possession. (BS2 effects ordinance how?)and it can really put a hurting on most opponents.

The Whirlwind is my favorite ordinance vehicle of all time. It is truly amazing, especialy for its point cost. I'd nickname mine "Dark Reaper Repellant". Cheap and deadly, with two amazing modes of fire, its a steal when you consider the pwnige it can unleashe on hordes and mobile vehicles alike.

The LR is actually my least favorite tank in the Marine armory. Its costly and excels at nothing besides making itself one gigantic firemagnet. I'd much rather field two Predator Annhilators with bolter sponsons and get much more firepower, mobility, and use ourt of them for about the same cost. I'd leave transporting to the Rhinos and the.....

LR Crusader! I love this tank! its everything a LR is not! its a great transport, capable of fireing all of its many weapons on the move. It can carve holes in hordes, bust tanks at close range, and drop a good sized unit of terminators into assault, oh, and much more shooting. Did I mention it was just as tough as a LR and had a twin linked all mighty assault cannon?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 15:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Space Marine tanks

Wow, good point. I don't hear many people disagreeing with you.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 16:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

My army has only 1 vehicle....a vindicator. It is terrifying to most of the people I play against. It has short range, but it can pop smoke in turn 1 and be in range of most of the center of the table in turn 2. I buy extra armor, smoke, and machine spirit. Nothing else. Thus far it has been destroyed once in about 6 games.

I think it is the most awsome tank around. Strength 10/ap 2 shells that hit make things go byby.

Wanax
Old 11 Jan 2006, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
The true weakness of most spacemarine tanks is that most Marine players, too my knowledge, only take one tank, which is immediately shot up.
Absolutely agreed. I find 5 is a good number :)

And the Vindicator is an animal. On paper it may not be as great as a Demolisher, but people are just irrationally afraid of it. Most useful in a small mech army.

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i dont like SMurf tanks because they dont serve their purpose. Predators are to lightly armoured to provide heavy support, landraiders are too shooty for transports, vindicators are absolutly appaling in siege warfare etc. i think crusader variants are closer to a good land raider than any other pattern. in my opinion predators and crusaders are ok, rhinos are the best SMurf tank and the rest are crap. but im used to IG so most tanks are crap to me.

Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:14   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I personally don't think tanks belong in your average Space Marine army, unless it is an extremely large game. too unfluffy in my opinion. But that's probably just me.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Warrior
I personally don't think tanks belong in your average Space Marine army, unless it is an extremely large game. too unfluffy in my opinion. But that's probably just me.
Actually mechanized SM armies are very fluffy as one of the major Space Marine tactics is an armored assault.

Space Marine tanks are an interesting thing to see. True to the space marines they can do everything well enough they just cant to anything excelently. Good summary.

Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
i dont like SMurf tanks because they dont serve their purpose. Predators are to lightly armoured to provide heavy support, landraiders are too shooty for transports, vindicators are absolutly appaling in siege warfare etc. i think crusader variants are closer to a good land raider than any other pattern. in my opinion predators and crusaders are ok, rhinos are the best SMurf tank and the rest are c**p. but im used to IG so most tanks are c**p to me.
... I believe I mentioned that Preds etc were less durable and needed to be more tacticly than Ig tanks.

As for unfluffy... there are entire heavily mechanised chapters, and Marines often act at the tip or armored spearheads. Not unfluffy at all. some timesa the tip of the spear head gets seperated from the group, moving to far too fast... Or the marines are about to get overrun and call in armor for support.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't play SM, but I know enough about their tanks to post.

The Rhino, IMO, is a good tank. While it has an awful weapon and has below average armor, it is cheap and serves its purpose well. I like Chimeras more because they are great anti-infantry and even anti-light vehicle tanks that can provide covering fire while the troops disembark. That said, it is more expensive (85 points at its best) and only has 1 more point on its front armor. 50 points for a transport is good, so I'd give the Rhino an 8/10.

The Razorback is a screwed up tank IMO. It is as lightly armored as a Rhino, and is more expensive than a base Chimera. The Lascannons cost a lot, and make it a firing magnet IMO. People will fire at it, and it will die easily. It is also terrible as a transport. Only 6 models can fit in it, so I'd give it a 4/10.

The Vindicator is an interesting tank. It is 5 points cheaper than a Demolisher, and has worse armor on all sides. In addition, the Vindicator's only other weapon is a petty Storm Bolter, which has the same range as the Demolisher cannon. The Demolisher can take a Lascannon, making it effective even at 48''. It also can take Plasma Cannons, which are very good because of their low AP, their blast, and their 36'' range. Until the Demolisher Cannon gets in range for the Leman Russ Demolisher, the tank has already made up about a third or so of its points. Then the fun begins. With the Vindicator, it is a sitting duck that can easily be taken out by a team of Broadsides or an Imperial Guard Anti-Tank Squad. The Vindicator is good, having a S10 AP2 Ordnance weapon, but its lack of ranged weaponary makes it a poor choice unless in Cityfight or if you can protect it. I'd give it a 6/10.

The Land Raider is an ok tank. It has 2 twin-linked Lascannons, which makes it highly accurate and a good tank hunter. It is also very durable. While not as durable as a Monolith, it has much better weapons. However, only Lascannons for that many points is not worth it. Chances are it will never make up for its points. IMO, a Battle Cannon and a Lascannon while around 100 points less is better than 2 Lascannons, even if twin-linked. I'd give it a 7/10.

The Land Raider Crusader is a tank that is very nice. A twin-linked Assault Cannon is nice to have, especially since it is rending. But the other secret weapon, or should I say 8 weapons, make it a very formidable anti-swarm tank. I'd say its well worth its points. I'd give it a 9/10.

The other tanks I haven't researched, but there is my 2 cents.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:42   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Actually mechanized SM armies are very fluffy as one of the major Space Marine tactics is an armored assault.
Well... shows how much I know about Space Marines then...
Closed Thread