Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 pts SW list
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1500 pts SW list

Right, this is my old list from 3rd ed for the most part, slightly updated for 4th.

HQ (2)

Ven Dread: plasma, CCW, heavy flamer, extra armor, smoke launcher.
183pts (I do have a missile and a twinlinked lascannon arm, alternatively)

Wolfguard battle leader: plasma pistol, frostblade, wolf tooth necklace, wolf tail talisman, belt of russ.
131pts (Maybe use bolt pistol instead to lower cost?)

Elite

Various pack leaders

Wolfscouts (6): 2 with plasma pistol, 1 with meltagun, meltabombs: 138pts
Pack leader: bolt pistol, powerfist, wolf tooth necklace:
56pts (maybe use powerweapon+bolter/melta combo instead?)
194pts total

Troops:

Grey Hunters: (10): 2 with bolter and powerweapon, 1 with plasmagun, 2 with plasma pistol and CCW, 5 with bolter and ccw
229pts

Bloodclaws: (15): 3 with powerfist, 1 with meltagun
254pts
pack leader: twin lightning claws, wolf tooth necklace
60pts
Total:
286pts

Grey Hunters: (10): 2 with bolter and powerfist, 1 with meltagun, 7 with bolter and ccw
219pts
pack leader: bolt pistol, powerweapon, wolf tooth necklace
51pts
total
270pts

Heavy:

Pred Ann: Heavy Bolter sponsons, dozer blade, extra armor, pintlemounted storm bolter, smoke launcher
153pts

1474 points total

It occurs to me that my single tank is probably going to die in the first round, but currently I only have the predator, long fangs and a Land Raider Crusader as support choices. I tried to keep my characters cheap :/

I don't really want to get rid of the scouts, and I don't think I can afford to have any less troops. Basically I usually attach my Battle Leader to the bloodclaws and footslog it across the board. If I had more points I'd take 2 bloodclaws away so they'd all fit into the crusader.

I equiped one GH pack with all the plasma gear and powerswords so they'd be good against heavy infantry while I gave the melter and the powerfists to the others to be good against vehicles...maybe I should drop them with a drop pod? I guess I could give a flamer to the bloodclaws, but it'd only save me 2 points..

The scouts are mainly to pop IG tanks or harass other support units. Though one time they did manage to take out a lonely Farseer...pure luck.

Any advice/opinions?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1500 pts SW list

just some top-of-my head stuff...

I'd go for one powerfist and one powerweapon in each Grey Hunter squad. so that one can kill some stuff at initiative and one can kill tough things.

Blood Claws have three powerfists, so they don't really need a melta- give them a flamer, it ignores their lower BS and is fun.

The only time I might ever take a combi-weapon would be on a WG terminator. Leave the Scout WGPL with bp&pf. Or maybe a thunder hammer if you can spare the points.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 11 Jan 2006, 00:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I see what you're saying...probably better to go for the versatility in the GH squads. I'll consider the flamer thing. What do you think about all the plasma in one GH squad?

I've been having doubts about the plasma pistols in the scout squad, but I kinda do want to take something out in the round they appear, so I didn't want to rely on just one melta. Guess I gotta take the risk. I didn't put powerweapons into the scout squad to save points, good idea or not? being some 26 points under 1500, I suppose I might as well. Scouts sure can be a huge point sink for the small squad size <_<
Old 11 Jan 2006, 00:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykmoe
I see what you're saying...probably better to go for the versatility in the GH squads. I'll consider the flamer thing. What do you think about all the plasma in one GH squad?

I've been having doubts about the plasma pistols in the scout squad, but I kinda do want to take something out in the round they appear, so I didn't want to rely on just one melta. Guess I gotta take the risk. I didn't put powerweapons into the scout squad to save points, good idea or not? being some 26 points under 1500, I suppose I might as well. Scouts sure can be a huge point sink for the small squad size <_<
I don't go for powerweapons on the scouts usually, anything they sneak up behind probably won't be a big squad or all that fighty- something like 3 Dark Reapers or a Basilisk will die to your squad as is (with decent luck).

I'm not a huge fan of plasma unless I have an apothecary, but in a decent-sized Grey Hunter pack, go for it.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 11 Jan 2006, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I see.

Unrelated question, can you give a wolfguard in terminator armor with an assault cannon or heavy flamethrower a powerweapon/fist for the other hand? I saw a list somewhere where the guy had 5 wolfguard termis and listed them (3 with powerweapon, 2 with asscannon).

Also, the Cyclone doesn't replace the melee weapon of a terminator anymore in the new SM codex...could you give a wolfguard terminator something like a cyclone and twin lightning claws if you felt like spending a ton of points?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 01:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yeah, you can mix-and-match terminator weapons for Wolf Guard

you should be able to take a cyclone and lightning claws, but you'd have to check the FAQ to see if it's official yet.

GENDARME WING
Old 11 Jan 2006, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wolfscouts don't need the Meltabombs since the Meltagun and Dual Plasma Pistols usually take care of any tanks, especially since you're usually hitting the back. And DO NOT put Power Weapons in Scout squads, since they are there for one (and only one) reason: to take out tanks.

And I'm really not a big fan of having your entire army WALK across the board to engage the enemy. You will be shot to death WAY before you even reach enemy lines, and if you actually do you won't have any strength to hit them with. You HAVE to stick at least one squad in a Rhino, just so that less people would die before combat.

As for the Terminators, the Assault Cannons and Heavy Flamers can be paired with Power Fists/Weapons, since guns replace guns and CCW's replace CCW's. And you may be able give one Wolf Guard a Cyclone and LC's, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

Current Armies: The Lone Wolves 2092 pts
Hive Fleet Basilisk 1601 pts
Old 11 Jan 2006, 11:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks to everyone for their patience and helpfulness

I made some adjustments. Removing the meltabombs from the scouts, ditching the pack leader from the GH, reducing the number of bloodclaws to 14 and giving them a flamer instead of a melta let me buy two rhinos with extra armor and smoke launchers for the GH packs. Puts me at 1499 points...so I bought a talisman for the pack leader of the scouts. 1500. I also gave each GH pack one powerweapon and one powerfist.

How's that sound?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 11:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

sounds pretty good.
roll the rhinos up, disembark, rapid fire. simple

GENDARME WING
Old 12 Jan 2006, 02:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, i'm gonna start from the top...

vennie dread: looking good.

battle leader: you've picked the cheapest HQ choice, so why have you decked him out?? these guys, you wanna keep simple and neat. frost blade, bolt pistol (plasma pistol if, and only if, you have the points to burn at the end of it all), frags, wolf pelt and that's it. and especially don't give the belt of russ to him

scouts: good to see you dropped the meltabombs. they're trash. now just give the pack leader a thunder hammer and plasma pistol instead, and done (tho you could probably afford to lose 2 of the scouts in a pinch)

grey hunters 1: i'd personally be skimping on the plasma pistols on loading out on the power fists. and i never bother with power weapons. they just don't have enough impact. every squad you have, i'd say max out on power fists. they'll take you much further

bloodclaws: well, you've already switched the meltagun oer, so next i'd be dropping the wolf teeth on the pack leader, scournge a few more points for elsewhere (you can always come back and chuck 'em on again)

grey hunters 2: lose the pack leader...you haven't even decked him out for damage, so you might as well not bother

overall troops comments: with the right trims here and there, you could probably add a fourth troops choice. additionally, you need not only transports for the hunters, but for the claws as well. hell, especially the claws, cos leave 'em to walk and they're gonne get shot to...well, you get the point. doesn't matter if you lose a few claws to fit 'em in a rhino, its worth it

pred anni: i don't really like this config. some people swear by it, but i reckon its pretty bad...unfocussed. you're always gonne have some of the weapons not pulling their weight. instead, i'd opt for the much cheaper predator destructor with las sponsons, and use it as a dedicated tank hunter. and i'd lose the pintle-mounted storm bolter. keep it cheap and simple

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Closed Thread