Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1st Draft of a 1500 point Space wolves list
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jan 2006, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default 1st Draft of a 1500 point Space wolves list

So this is a preliminary list for a space wolves army. Doesn't feel quite right yet, so please feel free to rip it to shreds. I'm trying something different with this list since I haven't really used my Wolves since 3rd ed. where my army was mostly rhino mounted Blood Claws.

Rune Priest w/ frost blade, bolt pistol, frag grenades

Wolf Lord w/ belt of russ, frost blade, wolf pelt, bolt pistol
4 Fenrisian wolves
5 Wolf guard bodyguard, w/ 5 bolters, 5 wolf pelts, 4 close combat weapons, 1 power fist
Mounted in Drop pod: 30
Squad Total: 336

10 Grey hunters, w/ plasma gun, plasma pistol, power weapon, power fist, 8 bolters
Mounted in drop pod: 30
Squad total: 237

9 Grey hunters, w/ melta gun, plasma pistol, power weapon, power fist, 7 bolters
Squad total: 235

9 Grey hunters, w/ melta gun, plasma pistol, power weapon, power fist, 7 bolters
Squad total: 235

15 Blood Claws w/ melta gun, 2 powerfists, power sword

Current total: 1485

The basic strategy would be to have the blood claws accompanied by the Rune Priest make a mad dash across the board. Hopefully starting on turn 2 the drop pod units start ariving and blasting the enemy apart, forcing him to choose between shooting blood claws or the grey hunters and wolf guard.
Also the wolf guard should be fairly good at recieving the inevitable counter charge the enemy launches with their true grit/counter assault abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 1st Draft of a 1500 point Space wolves list

I would take away the pelts from the Wolf Guard - too expensive and not all that useful. Definitely give one to the Rune Priest!

May want to play with your points and add a drop pod for the Blood Claws and the Rune Priest (remember - they count as serperate choices so roll on reinforcements seperately!). If you do that, move the wolves to the Priest and try to drop him close to the BCs.

I've done the "All Drop Pod Army" in 3rd - it can be a blast! It tends to Win Big or Lose Big!

"It's not my tactics that are bad, just my dice rolling..."
Old 05 Jan 2006, 21:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGunn
I would take away the pelts from the Wolf Guard - too expensive and not all that useful. Definitely give one to the Rune Priest!
Actually when I deploy them from their drop pod I'll put the Fenrisian wolves in front of the wolf guard. With their larger bases troops who charge them probably won't be able to go around. Then the wolf guard counter attack and then all the wolf guard in the squad gets 4 attacks! (2 base, +1 for bolter, CCW and true grit, +1 for counter attack/wolf pelt)

Quote:

May want to play with your points and add a drop pod for the Blood Claws and the Rune Priest (remember - they count as serperate choices so roll on reinforcements seperately!). If you do that, move the wolves to the Priest and try to drop him close to the BCs.
The Rune Priest isn't allowed to take Fenrisian wolves, probably so specfically so you CAN'T have a Rune Priest with 4 Fenrisian Wolves leading a unit of 15 Blood Claws.

Also I'd have to Split the Blood Claws into two units to drop pod them, and even if I did they would be unable to assault the turn they landed, so I don't think its worth it. Probably better to keep them as a footslogger unit. Or possibly drop 6 of them, put them in a rhino and get some wolf scouts.

Quote:

I've done the "All Drop Pod Army" in 3rd - it can be a blast! It tends to Win Big or Lose Big!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

IMO with the wolf guard, i'd have bolt pistols instead of bolters...i can understand the allure of the bolters, but realistically, you're throwing them right in the middle of the enemy lines where, after they've landed, they're likely to be doing more charging than counter-charging.

actually, i find this entire army kinda puzzling. it seems to rely fairly heavily on the shooting of the grey hunters on the turn they rock up...however, it fails to take into account the fact that grey hunters shooting tends only to acheive much when it has additional support. instead, you could switch one of the bolter-based hunter squads over for bloodclaws...and i'd be getting that other bloodclaw squad, the footslogging one on a drop-pod as well. the problem with leaving them on the ground is that, for a bare minimum of one turn, they get to bare the brunt of an entire enemy army's firepower...which will most likely reduce them drastically. put the in a rhino, and you've got a similar problme: turn one, you lose the transport (rinos only work if you give your opponent lots of targets to shoot at)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Closed Thread