Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

starting Space Marines
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default starting Space Marines

If your too lazy to read alot jsut skip this paragraph.
Well ive been playing tau and guard for a long time now, i was thinking of moving on to anther army. i wanted an easy to make and paint closecombat army. ive been using shooty armies ever since i started with LOTR back in the days. my first thoughts where orks, they seem very fun to play and have some great models, but i detest ork vehicles(i cant go from russes to trukks, its too hard!) so i wanted an infantry only army. this meant hordes of hard to paint expensive minis, so i moved on to maybe necrons. this presents the problem that every signle closecombat soldier int heir army comes in blisters, making collecting 30 flayed ones rather expensive. ive know for quite awhile that space marines are an options.(since thanks to GW space marines are a good option no matter what your thinking of). but so far i liked to consider my self a veteran, since running IG armies isn't for noobs fresh out of bootcamp, so spacemarines seemed like a step back for me. ive always seen them as the intro army, that one army every 11 year old collects. it seems 70% of my school collected space marines at some point or another, and i like my armies being different and unique(hence the high ratio of guard armies i play). but now ive decided to maybe give marines a chance so:

What im looking for is a successor based on a main chapter, prepferably one with its own codex. i really like darkangles, but im sick of shooting at stuff, and ive heard thats what they excell at. so i want a chapter that charges in head first, guns blazing. also, id rather have infantry than tanks, since SMurf tanks look awefull. pretty much i want orks in powerarmour. also, i dont ahve alot of moeny or time, so id preffer something that doesnt involve buying 20 blister packs and painting them for a month and then having them worth 100 points on the field.i know ive been ranting on for a while, but can you gives give me any recommendations based on this? especially people who have played guard before. just any advice on buying, painting, choosing, fluff, whatever you think might help me, thanks. and feel free to ask asmany questions/throw stuff at me as you want.

P.S. i hate psykers and will never take one in my army.

Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: starting Space Marines

u chould try blood angels(did i spell right?) they are a decent close combat army or if u really want u chould always dabble in the chaos powers and a run a khorne army full of bresekers
Old 05 Jan 2006, 22:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

how many bolt pistol chainsword combos do you get in a tactical squad box set? i was thinking of taking "take the fight to them" and i was wondering how you convert that

Old 05 Jan 2006, 23:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah

Buy the assault squad box, it comes with normal backpacks, and Close Combat weapons Glore!

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

[taken from Adeptus Mechanicus manual]
Old 05 Jan 2006, 23:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

you get 1. a better option would instead be to buy the space wolf bloodclaw boxes, which have anough parts to make 10 regular marines with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon, without having to resort to wolfy parts

of course, you also get the added bonus of getting 2 power weapons, one power fist and a meltagun, plus some different heads etc

as for a combat army...well, 13th company are really the cream of the crop as far as loyalist combat power goes. IMO space wolves come in second. bloodclaws are savage in combat, and grey hunters are sturdy and reliable, easily able to fend off most things. beyond that...well, its a bit of a toss-up between blood angels and black templar...black templar can get lots of ccw's and bolt pistols...and potentially always hit on 3's. but blood angels have furious charge and the death company...

after those, i'd rate normal marines tooled up for combat...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 06 Jan 2006, 20:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i was thinking maybe getting a black templars crusader squad, my local shop still sells them(and at 14.40, SUCKERS!) but how many pistol CCW arms do i get with that one? the sprue in the online store looks like it has 3 but im not quite sure. if not ill take the blood claws. i just prefer the the bolt-pistol-chained-to-arm thing. also, the online store shows the space marine assualt sprue left arm, and right arm. does that mean i get a left arm and a right arm set for each(so potentially 2 swords and two psitols a piece) or half and half?

aslo, what kind of HQ should i choose, chaplain or commander? and what kind of wargear should they use?

Old 07 Jan 2006, 14:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
1) i wanted an easy to make and paint closecombat army.

2) i wanted an infantry only army.

3) now ive decided to maybe give marines a chance so:

4) What im looking for is a successor based on a main chapter, prepferably one with its own codex.

5) i want a chapter that charges in head first, guns blazing. also, id rather have infantry than tanks, since SMurf tanks look awefull. pretty much i want orks in powerarmour.

6) also, i dont ahve alot of moeny or time, so id preffer something that doesnt involve buying 20 blister packs and painting them for a month and then having them worth 100 points on the field.

7) P.S. i hate psykers and will never take one in my army.
Pretty much everything you said just screams "Black Templars! Black Templars!"

1) Easy to make and paint- spray them black and you're most of the way there.

2) Infantry only- check. BT can have 20-man squads with invulnerable saves.

3) they're marines

4) they're Imperial Fist successors with their own codex

5) they run forward if they get shot at! how much more "charge forward headfirst at the enemy" can you get?

6) if you kit them out, they can really rack up the points. plus, they're pretty much all-plastic.

7) they hate psykers too

I know you're probably thinking "BT, what a noob army", but please don't let that put you off, they sound perfect for what you want.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 07 Jan 2006, 15:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well BT would work but if you dont want to go with the current trend I would suggest Blood Angels. They have their own codex and lots of successor chapters to choose from. Take a gander here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/database/1/

That shows the main chapters and then their successors, and then take a look here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacema...r%2Dgallery/1/

As said the Blood Claw box would be the way to go for a lot of close combat weapons and the Blood Angels have the nice jump pack armed honor guard and the death company which are very nice.

Just to list the chapters for you right now you have the Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Angels Vermillion, Blood Drinkers and Flesh tearers, all with their colors shown in the chapter gallery link above unless Im mistaken. All are successor chapters of the Blood Angels so you can just use the BA codex with their colors if you like.

Old 08 Jan 2006, 16:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

well im not quite sure if im going to go for a black templar army or a blood angels successor, so until then this is my list:
Minor Divergance: Take the fight to them(exchange bolters for BP and CCW)
Minor Disadvantage: Faith in Suspicion(no psykers, yey!)

HQ
Master of Sancity
Bolt pistol
Crozius arcanum
Bike
This guy will join my bike squad:
3 bikes
Meltagun
Veteran sargeant with plasma pistol and power weapon

Master
Terminator honours
Artificer armour
Command Squad
Power Fist
CloseCombat weapon
5 men
multi-melta
meltagun
veteran sargeant with plasma pistol and power weapon
Rhino with smoke launchers.
Would make waaaay more sense to just give him terminator armour, but i dont ahve terminators.
Troop

Tactical Squad
5 man
Missile launcher
plasma gun

Tactical Squad
3 bolters
5 Man
lascannon
plasma gun
3 bolters

Tactical Squad
8 man
7 boltpistols and CCWs
Veteran Sargeant
plasma pistol and powersword

Tactical Squad
8 man
7 boltpistols and CCWs
Veteran sargeant
Plasma pistol and powerweapon
for a grand total of 1106 points. im thinking of getting rid of plasma pistols to try and reach an even 1000

what ive bought sofar is a space wolf starter set(10 bolter guys, 10 BP CCW guys, 3 bikes, rhino) a crusader squad, a chaplain on bike and a lascannon marine. i converted my master and the multimelta(two meltas glued together then a backpack made from the normal SM pack and a cadian flamethrower backpack). so ive used every single one of my models in this army list.(and the whole thing cost me 60)

Old 08 Jan 2006, 22:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

ok, this is all the models you have, but:

two higher-level ICs in 1000pts is far too much.

Generally, vet sgts should have powerfists and ICs shouldn't (or should have a powerweapon/ crozius/ force weapon too).

It makes much more sense to have 2 meltas in a command squad, rather than a melta and a multi-melta.

I generally wouldn't give a plasma pistol to anyone unless 1) it's a standard assault squad marine, or 2) there's an apothecary in the squad; you risk killing expensive models and losing powerfists/ powerweapons.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Closed Thread