Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

my marine list needs filling
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jan 2006, 22:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default my marine list needs filling

This army has been based on fluff that followed from an Inquisitor campaign a while ago & is very limited to what it can have no dreads or termies for a start. Not only is this chapter young but has sufferd heavy losses as well with their home world distroyed by the Emporers children & their own chapter master (inquisitor lord) who atempted to lead them to chaos has lest them to a few 200 marines most of which are still only scouts.

my traits are as followed
see, but don't be seen
honour your wargear

my draw backs are
flesh over steel
faithful unto death

HQ

Captain 80 Borther Arias
storm bolter, power weapon
infiltrate

command squad
6 marines
1 heavy bolter, 1 plasma gun
sgt with power fist.
infiltrate

Elite

7 marines (Devastator squad)
1 sgt
2 las-cannons
1 plasma cannons
infiltrate, tank hunters

Troops

6 scouts
5sniper rifles & a missile launcher

7 scouts
close combat, krak grenades
sgt with melta bombs

All troops are scouts as their is no home world left & no way to obtaine more power armour these are also the bluk of the army that are still going through training.

Fast Attack

3 land speeders
1 of a multi-melta mark tornado

Heavy support

9 marines (Devastator squad)
1 sgt with Auspex
4 heavy bolters
infiltrate

7 marines (Devastator squad)
1 sgt
3 missile launchers
infiltrate

This all comes to 1336 pts it has 43 marines, 15 heavy weapons & 7 units in total. Theres still 164 pts left to taylor the rest of my list. I'd also like to know how this compears to an alpha legion army list. this is what I intend to finish this year this part anyway & in 2007 I'll add the Dakka land raider & last 3 surving hero's

cheers

Diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX

Heya

I see a few things that I'll point out about your list:

HQ - Storm bolter and Power Weapon is not a good choice. One is twohanded, and the other is onehanded. That means you lose the bonus attack. Switch for a bolt pistol and all is well (plus storm bolters are expensive and not worth it in the end really compared to normal bolters unless the entire squad has storm bolters).

The command squad is weird. The heavy bolter and plasma just aren't good to couple together; the plasma is mobile and can shoot while the bolter keeps you standing still. Works against you to mix odd ranged weapons and heavy/rapidfire like this. Mixing plasma with higher powered weapons for anti-tank makes sense, but mixing plasma with low dakka anti-infantry guns doesn't. I'd trade the plasma for another heavy bolter, or I'd drop the heavy bolter and get another plasma. Also, this power fist seems to be in the wrong squad. A shooting squad shouldn't have a power fist... it shouldn't even have the serg at this point. Move that fist to an assault based Tac squad perhaps.

Elite - This dev squad is way too expensive. Lascannons are poor choices for dev squads because of the price. 70 points for 2 guns? Exactly... much too much. That's the price of a marine squad almost. To top it off, the plasma cannon; they're not very good guns in the end. Blast templates in 4th edition just don't do much. They have to be placed with the center hole over a model. Then roll for partials if anyone is under it. Someone with one inch spacing will probably avoid your template all together and you'll only be hitting one model. Pretty poor odds for such an expensive gun that can over-heat. I would highly suggest you drop the lascannons/plasmacannon and instead take something cheaper and just as effective (combined with tank hunters): missile launchers. Otherwise, overall I'd suggest not using Devs for anti-tank, because tac marines are far better at this. Devs are much better at packing 4 heavy bolters and infiltrate and making a mess of your opponent's infantry early on. Single lascannons are cheaper in troops and more effective that way and put far less victory points in one single easy to kill squad.

Troop1 - The first scouts look good.

Troop2 - This squad is weird. They're ok, but really, scouts don't belong anywhere near combat.

Taking all scouts is ok, but really, you need way more than just a few like this. I see a 1500 point list with minimized cheapest possible troop selections. Not good. Take at least 3 squads, up to 4 squads of scouts with missiles/snipers, otherwise, just bolters and a heavy bolter and plant them in cover, using freed up points from the dev team/HQ.

Fast1 - Land speeders are great. Multi-melta versions are perfect at anti-tank. The others are great too with heavy bolters and assault cannons overall. Split them up into multiple fast attacks if possible. More units is better than one or two.

Heavy1 - Devs with heavy bolters are beautiful.

Heavy2 - Devs with missile launchers are great too.

--- Overall, it's just the HQ/Elite and minimum Troops that are hurting your list.

Cheers!

so here I am again third time lucky....

I've re-done this list & hopefully it should fair well on the battle table, as I've said before the plan is to ambush my opponent with heavy fire so Infiltrate & heavy weapons.

I've changed the HQ & other unit's

HQ

Montous De Lufay
Librarian codicier 108 pts
fear of the dark & Infiltrate

Command squad 279 pts
7 marines
company stanerd bearer & sacred standerd

Troops

8 Scouts 109 pts
bolters & 1 heavy bolter

8 Scouts 114 pts
bolters & 1 missile launcher

6 scouts 108 pts
sniper rifles 1 missile launcher

Fast attack

2 land speeder tornado's 160 pts
heavy bolter & assault cannon combo

1 land speeder 65 pts
multi-melta

Heavy support

Devastator sqaud
8 marines
4 heavy bolters
Infiltrate

Devastator sqaud
6 marines
3 missile launchers
Infiltrate

That all comes to 1241 pts

I've have a 44 body count I've found that most space marine forces have about 40 men in total. I have a total of 5 missile launchers & my multi-meta speeder witch I'm sure is enough anti-amour. I've 259 pts left for either a vetran squad or to beef up the rest of the force.

Killa Queen Diz

Emma
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Re: my marine list needs filling

Do not triple post. I see no point even in your triple posting.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 07 Jan 2006, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dude, you really need some thing big to break threw enemy lines, maybe a predator annihilator or a land raider.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 21:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Please don't triple post. Edit new content into the post if you have something else to say.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 21:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm... A dakka Land Raider is an excellent choice!

I would suggest filling it with the Command Squad. Also, I would equip the Command squad with better weapons for assault. Meltas, power weapons/fists, and of course, teh cheap and effective flamer. These will fill the gap in your army and enable you to break through the line and establish a foothold, while the rest of your army advances, foring on the move, and the Devestators raing lead and frag/krak on the enemy on either flank.

Excellent fluff idea, and I like the list a lot!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:03   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Nota Land Raider, they are a gun magnet. Your opponent will fire everything at it and bring it down turn 1.

I recommend a Pred Annihilater. Slightly less effective and durable but also seen as less of a threat, almost ensuring longer survival.

The command squad does need to be made better for assault with power weapons and meltaguns. You should have at least 60 points left to do this after getting the pred.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Sergeant Mkoll
Nota Land Raider, they are a gun magnet. Your opponent will fire everything at it and bring it down turn 1.

I recommend a Pred Annihilater. Slightly less effective and durable but also seen as less of a threat, almost ensuring longer survival.

The command squad does need to be made better for assault with power weapons and meltaguns. You should have at least 60 points left to do this after getting the pred.
my Dakka land raider will be under a different list. This chapter is only 200 marines strong so I'm going to make whole chapterby 2008.
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
Closed Thread