Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where is my army going?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jan 2006, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Where is my army going?

Hey everyone,
This is like what, my second post but I'd like to get down to business. I am the noob of all noobs for 40k. I would go and repeat that again but I'm quite lazy as well and figure most people are lazy like me and won't want to read the same old sentence two times in a row, lol.
Back on topic. I got a few Warhammer 40k sets for Noel and to be honest I've haven't done more than stare blankly at the unopened boxes knowing that if I try to paint either of them I'll fail horribly, lol. Basically I got a Space Marine Rhino and a Space Marine Commander. It's not a lot but from what I hear they're essential to the army.

My plan is to build a 750 fighting force based around three core Tactical Marine units. BUT, I have soo many questions.

I don't know the slightest difference between the Predator, Dreadnaught, or Devastor squad as a Heavy Support choice save appearance and they all look pretty sweet as they are. But even me of all noobs knows not to base an army off of appearance.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Where is my army going?

Okay, there are two things you need even more than a Commander and Rhino (not essential, but a great transport for most players).

The Rulebook (or a friend who knows the rules and can teach you the basics.)
Codex: Space Marines (you need one to make an army, you can't do ANYTHING without it.)

You also need Troops choices - if you've got the basic rules down, you can see that normal missions require you to have 1 HQ choice (filled by the Commander), and two Troops choices (Tactical or Scout Squads).

Codex: SM also has the ability to make Traited armies - such nifty things as Infiltrating your squads or taking Bikes as troops choices.

Quote:
I don't know the slightest difference between the Predator, Dreadnaught, or Devastor squad as a Heavy Support choice save appearance and they all look pretty sweet as they are. But even me of all noobs knows not to base an army off of appearance.
Actually, you have to like an army to want to keep going with it.
The Preadator comes in two forms - anti-infantry and anti-tank.* It has fair armour, and superb firepower.
The Dreadnaught is actually an Elites choice - you should realy get the Codex, as I mentioned.* It can be tooled to be a monster in Close Combat, a shooter, or a mix.
Devestators are infantry with tank weapons - nothing tougher than normal infantry, but nothing less - 4 Heavy Weapons in a 5-man team is INCREDIBLY devestating... hense the name.

As Space Marine armies are so diverse, you should start even smaller than 750 points, and work up.* Also, consider looking at the background fiction of Warhammer 40k and then deciding on what you want your army to be like - close-combat monsters, pious monks with lots of guns, fast and light, mechanized... it's also good to decide on colour scheme:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...ter_Comp/1.htm
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4..._gallery/1.htm

There's lots of variety - try your own thing, or an existing chapter, but either way you can gain alot from deciding on your army colours before you start painting.

Also, with what you have, or can get cheaply, I'll see if I can work out a basic (500 Point) starting list for you:

HQ:
Captain
Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon
90pts
This guy can do alot of things - he's decent in combat and shooting, and can add some punch to the squad mounted in a Rhino, getting into combat early.* He also boosts the Leadership of your whole army!

Troops:
10 Tactical Marines
Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun
170pts
Stay back and shoot - they do it very well.

9 Tactical Marines
Heavy Bolter, Meltagun
Sergeant w/ Terminator Honours, Powerfist
Rhino w/ Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers
238pts
Joined by the Captain, they can move into combat while putting down suppressing fire against infantry, then hit tanks hard with the Meltagun before getting into battle.

Obviously, you need a Codex to understand this but that's an example of a starter army you could use - after playing a few games and deciding on your playstyle, diversify and add how you see fit!

Hope this helps !
Old 02 Jan 2006, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If I was you, my next purchases would be:

The Battle for Macragge set http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...002&orignav=10- you'll get the rules and a tactical squad, and some scenery, templates, dice, etc.
For a little bit more, you could get the version that comes with more modelling materials- http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...003&orignav=10

The Marine Codex http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...006&orignav=10- you need it.

a Space Marine Battleforcehttp://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...026&orignav=10- cheaper than buying the bits seperately, you can use the Razorback as a second rhino if you want, or keep it for when your army expands. (alternatively, two tactical squads and a command squad).

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 02 Jan 2006, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you both very much. I plan on getting the codex soon and possibly the battle for Macragge later because my bro plays Tyranids and I could use tactical marine squad myself.
Old 02 Jan 2006, 23:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger
Thank you both very much. I plan on getting the codex soon and possibly the battle for Macragge later because my bro plays Tyranids and I could use tactical marine squad myself.*
even better- split the cost with him

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Closed Thread