Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first SM army
Closed Thread
Old 30 Dec 2005, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default My first SM army

Ok, this is the army Ive bought up so far. The only thing not actually bought is the assault marines. Everything else is under construction, or paint in progress.

1 Reclusiarch
Rosarius; Crozius Arcanum
1 Jump Pack
1 Rosarius

1 Techmarine
Servo-Arm; Gun Servitor; Gun Servitor; Bolter; Power Weapon (x1)
1 Servo-Arm
1 Signum
3 Gun Servitor
Heavy Bolter
1 Gun Servitor
Plasma Cannon

1 Dreadnought
Assault Cannon; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter
1 Extra Armor

1 Dreadnought
Twin-Linked Lascannon; Missile Launcher
1 Extra Armor

9 Tactical Squad
Bolter (x7); Missile Launcher (x1); Plasmagun (x1); Frag Grenades
1 Sergeant
Terminator Honors; Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades
1 Melta Bombs

5 Tactical Squad
Bolter (x4); Heavy Bolter (x1)
1 Sergeant
Terminator Honors; Close Combat Weapon (x1); Plasma Pistol (x1)
1 Master-Crafted Weapon
1 Razorback
Twin-Linked Lascannon
1 Extra Armor
1 Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolter

1 Land Speeder Squadron
Heavy Bolter (x1); Assault Cannon (x1)

1 Predator Annihilator
Twin-Linked Lascannon; Heavy Bolter (x2)
1 Extra Armor
1 Hunter-Killer Missile

9 Assault Squad
Bolt Pistol & CCW (x7); Plasma Pistol & CCW (x1); Flamer (x1); Frag Grenades
1 Sergeant
Terminator Honors; Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades

Total Roster Cost: 1496

I'm sure everythings self explanatory, but I'm gonna spell out some of the 'kit' involved: The Reclusiarch attaches to the Assault Squad, getting some litany of hate lawnmower action. The Techmarine and his servitors acts as a Firebase, close by the Predator Annihilator, and Lascannon/Missile launcher Dread, in case the techmarine wants to make some repairs. the Plasmacannon Servitor is a must for me whenever I field a Techmarine, since the Signum allows me to reroll gets hot roll 'misses' with that nasty plasma cannon. that plascannon will go poof only on a double 1. The Landspeed is.. erm.. a Landspeeder... :P

I feel this setup gives me a lotta firepower, without making me too weak in other areas. any comments??
Old 30 Dec 2005, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: My first SM army

Quote:
1 Reclusiarch
Rosarius; Crozius Arcanum
1 Jump Pack
1 Rosarius
Can't give him a Rosarius - he already has one... give him a Bolt or Plasma pistol for a bonus Attack.

Quote:
1 Techmarine
Servo-Arm; Gun Servitor; Gun Servitor; Bolter; Power Weapon (x1)
1 Servo-Arm
1 Signum
3 Gun Servitor
Heavy Bolter
1 Gun Servitor
Plasma Cannon
I will profess to hating the way you lay out your unit entries, but it works - anti-infantry power. The Plasma Cannon is the killer here. - it doesn't work with the Signum, as it will still toast the user even if it hits... I'm not sure why it's a big deal though, as the chances are only 1/12 with the carapace armour.

Quote:
1 Dreadnought
Assault Cannon; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter
1 Extra Armor

1 Dreadnought
Twin-Linked Lascannon; Missile Launcher
1 Extra Armor
Sure, why not? I like it.

Quote:
9 Tactical Squad
Bolter (x7); Missile Launcher (x1); Plasmagun (x1); Frag Grenades
1 Sergeant
Terminator Honors; Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades
1 Melta Bombs

5 Tactical Squad
Bolter (x4); Heavy Bolter (x1)
1 Sergeant
Terminator Honors; Close Combat Weapon (x1); Plasma Pistol (x1)
1 Master-Crafted Weapon
1 Razorback
Twin-Linked Lascannon
1 Extra Armor
Yuck. Seriously, I have no idea where you're going with this. The Sergeant and squad with Frags is the shooty one, while the Razorback team (which actually has mobility) has no assault punch, and a heavy weapon which (a) you've stocked up on with the Gun Servos and no assault weapon, (b) you can't move and shoot. Needs revision, IMO.

Quote:
9 Assault Squad
Bolt Pistol & CCW (x7); Plasma Pistol & CCW (x1); Flamer (x1); Frag Grenades
1 Sergeant
Terminator Honors; Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades
Ouch. I like.

Quote:
1 Land Speeder Squadron
Heavy Bolter (x1); Assault Cannon (x1)
To make your life infinatly easier:

1 Land Speeder Tornado - Assault Cannon

It's fine - keep it.

Quote:
1 Predator Annihilator
Twin-Linked Lascannon; Heavy Bolter (x2)
1 Extra Armor
1 Hunter-Killer Missile
Drop the Stormbolter, seriously consider sponson Lascannons - it can do everything fairly well, it isn't bad, but it's not dedicated to any purpose.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm, intersting. I like the improv devestators you've made out of the tech marine and his retinue. One thing to keep in mind though is that he won't be that good at fixing vehicles without and tech servitors or a full harness, but he's great in the role you set him up for.

I'll second the recommendation that you need to have a bit more focus with your tactical squads. Your big tactical squad has a lot of assault power, yet you gave them a missile launcher. However, your small tactical squad could work quite nicely with the Razorback, provided they use their mobility to get to a secure firing base and then use the Razorback to supplement their own firepower.

The Las/HB Predetor is a solid pattern that lets you advance with your troops while not losing any firepower for doing so, but if you wanted to use it for static fire support, you'd be better off with a devestator squad; they can bring more firepower to bear on a target and are IMO more durable, particularly in cover with a few bolter marines to take casualties on. I'm not too crazy about the Hunter-Killer Missile or the Pintle-mounted storm bolter; you can't fire both the missile and your lascannons if you want to move, and I'm not sure the meager addition of a storm bolter will make much difference in the overall performance of the tank (consider also that you can field an extra assault marine if you trade these dubious items in)

One other thing I noticed is that you have a lot of odd numbered squads. I'm not sure if you've read the intro to marines sticky articles in this forum (and if you haven't, I'd recommend them), but as they say, even numbered squads work better as far as game mechanics go since a unit counts as scoring so long as they are at or above half strength. So, in order to reduce an 8 man squad to below-half-strength, you need to kill 5 marines, but say you add one more man to the squad; bringing its original size up to 9? You notice that your opponent still needs to kill 5 marines to reduce the unit below half strength, so even numbered squads are most efficient for keeping your forces in the game.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, the odd army listing is a result of me being lazy: its an armybuilder text output. this led to may weird assumptions, I guess: the Rosarius was mentioned as a built in part of the reclusiarch, all the kit is itemized.. sorry. Same thing with the 'odd' squad sizes: what its really saying is "5 space marines, and 1 Seargent" and "9 marines, and 1 seargent". Good point about the H/K missile... its weapon strength makes it count as a 'main weapon', doesnt it? well, I guess its gone then. I guess it was a callback to seeker missiles :

as far as I know, the techmarines Signum DOES let the plascannon toting servitor re-roll a miss of a 1... with no ill effects. I always wanted to do a gun servitor pack ever since I got the new codex. But secretly, the Techie exists really because this is the halfway semi focused approach to a 6 Dreadnaught army I was toying with a few months ago.

regarding the hvy weapon choices: I dunno, the msl launcher in the 10-pack doesnt seem like too bad a choice, in that the squad will be holding a quarter/loot counter or supporting the assault squad with medium range fire... and wont be on the move all that much. If they DO have to be on the move, then 1 guy out of 10 not shooting isnt all that big of a deal. The Hvy Bolter with the razorback squad is so the razorback and troops as a group has something to handle any threat they encounter, while they do their job at claiming quarters and loot counters, etc... the whole point was to have squads that could do more than the boooring "just kill them all" game, and win games by objectives rather than body count... but maybe thats kindov a fools dream for us newbies...

but still, by all means, keep the comments coming, and the reasons behind them, since that whats important.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heres a better alternitive to teh two squads.

Give the Razorback squad sergeant power weapon, bolt pistol, Termie Honors, frag grenades, and melta bombs
Give the squad krak grenades.
This will give tehm an anti-tank/anticharacter aura that your opponent will fear. Even better, give the sarge a power fist. Then, he will be formidable.

Drop teh heavey bolter, give them a melta. Its a better choice for an up-close and personal squad.
Then, give the other sargeant a bolter, and the squad a plasma gun and either a Hvy Bolter or a missile launcher. They will provide a formidable firebase.

Upgrade the Chaplain to a Master of Sanctity with the points form downgrading your tacticals.

Looks good!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 01 Jan 2006, 16:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Ok, here's my 0.02 on the subject...

Upgrade that Chaplain to a Master of Sanctity! The extra wound is definitly worth it, especially when your spending over 100 points for him. Give him a Plasma Pistol and Terminator Honors and keep the Jump Pack. He automatically gets the Rosarius and Crozius Arcanum. No need to list it- we'll be able to tell if you've replaced (i.e. you have two weapons other than it). Another option would be giving him a pair of lighting claws- with 5 (6 charging) attacks that ignore armor saves and re-roll failed to wound hits, your chaplain will rock in CC. Although he might be some points- I think it's 165. If you don't mind the points, I'd recommend the Master of Sanctity with double lighting claws, jump pack, and term. honors.

Like the Dreads. But the extra armor upgrade is kind of useless (atleast for the Hellfire configured dreadnought), as he won't be able to shoot either ways. The Assault Cannon/DCCW will have use of it, as he will want to assault and shoot, so he'll be able to keep moving closer to the enemy despite stunned results.

Techmarine is ok. I wouldn't use him for Devastator work (considering they have power armor...), but if you want to, go ahead. Personally I would take this guy completely out. Your Tactical Squads need major re-doing (as I'll explain later), and some of the points need to come from somewhere! I would take this fellow out so you can upgrade that Chaplain and give the Tactical Squads some new goodies.

The Tactical Squads are very messed up and useless. I'll give you some suggestions using some of the options (or what little else I can salvage from this wreck). Here we go...

The First one has no mobility and is given assault equipment, making them just moving targets. This one can be fixed though without changing much. First of all, I highly recommend the Cleanse and Purify trait and take the "Faithful unto death" (it's the most fluffiest, and it won't hamper this list much) disadvantage or die standing (although some will gripe that this is abusing the traits system (which I disagree with) to get free bonuses). Anyways, I'll give you 2 good option examples for you, one using this trait, and the other not using it in case you dislike taking traits;

Squad 1 (trait):273
9 Space Marines and 1 Veteran Sgt
2 Plasma Guns
Frags
Veteran Sgt is equipped with Power Fist
Rhino with Smoke Launchers and Extra Armor-58

Your old Squad costed 226 points. So as far as points hike, the only thing I added to cause a deep points hike is the Rhino (which will be needed for this squad). The Sgt adds a little punch to the squad's CC ability. 2 Plasma guns work excellent for a mobile squad such as this. Rhino adds alot of mobility, and makes sure that some (or most!) of these upgrades are used. This squad makes a good objective holder too.

Well, I g2g somehwere. I'll finish my suggestions when I get back.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 01 Jan 2006, 18:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I thin you should move around some weapons and free some points by getting rid of stuff you don't need.
For example loose the melta bombs on the sergeant who already has a powerfist. Loose the extra armour from the drednought who wont be moving to much. Take away the pintle storm bolter from the razorback who will be shooting at tanks with it's lascannons.

I then think you should move the powerfist serg to the squad in the razorback and change the heavy bolter for a melta gun. Use this squad up close. Use the chaplain for support if they end up in close combat.

Then use some points to get the large squad a rhino. Free more points if you need to by loosing a hevay bolter from the tech marine.

The techmarine maybe is not the best unit but it's quite unusual and I like that.

I wouldent spend to much points on the chaplain. Give him a boltpistol and maybe some melta bombs if you have the points.