Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what to pick
Closed Thread
Old 26 Dec 2005, 16:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default what to pick

I just got 55 dollars for christmas. I can't decide what to pick, I was thinking about Long fangs, Vindicator, or more troops. I will be facing Eldar,Orks,Imperial guard and I just can't decide which one to be able to beat all 3 armies.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: what to pick

Hey Jack, You forgot to mention a Land Raider ;D

I really can't give my opinion because I am the Ork player :P

-Da Boss
Old 27 Dec 2005, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally Aleric, you need some elite choices, not HS or troops. You don't have a single one. Or maybe another rhino to carry your troops... ???

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 27 Dec 2005, 11:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

you don't really need elites. they tend to be costly, and often troops are much better all-purpose choices. however, they can come in had. in particular wolf scouts

anyways, i'd be getting a predator if i were you. great all-round tanks, packing a hefty arsenal of weapons. especially with an autocannon and 2 lascannons

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 27 Dec 2005, 18:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I play against Aleric alot and he has a predator

Old 27 Dec 2005, 19:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not sure what your army consists of already, but here are my suggesstions:

Long Fangs with heavy bolters will make orcs and guard cry. They're also great for killing guardians, but hey, what isn't? The only thing I don't like about Long Fangs is you can't include extra marines in the squad to take casualties on

A vindicator is a little over specialized for my taste, plus it has to get close to do it's job well; Guard can overpower it, Eldar can out manuver it, and orks can swamp it with power claws and tank bustas. But if you need a good armored spearhead and already have enough units to protect it, then you might want to go for it.

Lastly, more 3+ saves on the board is never a bad thing. More troops means more bolters to rapid-fire those pesky green-skins with, more armor for the guard to painstakingly cut through before your charge loses momentum, and more...points to lose to eldar starcannons... hmm, might want to give them a Rhino when you're fighting the eldar.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 20:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ooh, almost forgot! Space Wolves can take a specialized pattern of Leman Russ tank (forgot the name though). I belive it starts with twin-linked autocannons (handy for taking out trukks, skimmers, and chimeras), plus you can give them all sorts of weapons on the sponsons to deal with whatever foe you encounter(Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannons, and Heavy Flamers I believe). Plus, you get the added quirkey bonus of fielding a Russ along with marines.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 04:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was just at a local hobby shop taking on aleric and he chose to go with a landraider crusader. Maybe I can talk him in to posting about it and asking for advice.

Closed Thread