Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Land Raiders
Closed Thread
Old 26 Dec 2005, 03:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Land Raiders

Are land raiders almost pointless if you don't have terminators to go inside of it.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 03:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Land Raiders

Hey Jack, like I said before, yup. Wargamer will probably help you out on this one, I only repeat wat other people tell me.

Teehee, you like my signature Jack.

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 26 Dec 2005, 03:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Some people like them for AV14 and twinlinked lascannons. Personally, I don't think anything about them justifies the points cost, except the assault ramp. So I would never take one except as a dedicated transport...and if I'm doing that, that means terminators, and if I'm doing terminators, that means I'm taking a crusader so I can pack in 8 of the little buggers, instead of just 5. Standard landraiders....well, maybe if you take one as a heavy choice and load up a squad of assaulty veterans on turn one? But I play DA, so no vets for me...just termies. So I have no use for standard LRs.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 28 Dec 2005, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Land Raiders can be very nasty if used right. If used staticly for their firepower, you're wasting points because you could get two fire-support dreadnaughts or predetor tanks for the same points. Where they really earn their points back is as a taxi and as a wall. I've had great success in putting 10 marines in the raider and driving it up in my enemies' faces, while I hide more fragile units like rhinos and assault marines behind it. Land Raiders are huge models, so make great things to hide behind. I've used this strategy to great effect against both Necrons and Tau.

The Raider could get killed, but then your opponent has a tricked out assault squad to worry about. If they try to scoot around the Raider to shoot the assault squad, the raider will drive up in their face and unload more marines.

Simply put, don't expect a land raider to earn its points back by itself. The land raider shines when it is used to gain a superior position on the table for your army, and that is what earns the raider's points back.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 16:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like your signature, shadowcrawler.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 23:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you Toast Master, I like yours too.

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Land Raiders (and my preferred variant, the Crusader) are a big points sink, but can serve a couple of purposes.

First, they become a BIG priority target. This allows some of your more effective models (like landspeeders, Assault squads, a Rhino full of Devs, etc.) to get into position without incoming fire. Also, with the 14 all around armor, it's a tough decoy to crack. Finally, it's firepower is also a big consideration.

It should also be noted that if you take LR's, playing BT with them can make them be used as a transport for any troop choice, not just Termies.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 17:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I prefer Crusaders. The normal Land Raider can't decide what it wants to do: shoot lascannons at far away tanks? Shoot heavy bolters at far away enemy troops? Or take a squad into battle?

The Crusader has one clear purpose- take a squad into the heart of battle whilst hammering out a huge amount of anti-infantry fire. Once it gets there, it can help defend that squad by taking out armour that may threaten it (Multi-Melta and Assault Cannon).

Crusaders are a lot better than normal Land Raiders, especially for the points.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Amen!

A LRC charging straight into the lines is scary enough, but imagine a squad of Marines charging out of it to meet you, their cold, metallic visior-eyes glinting with an almost manic passion for death...

Excuse me, I got a little caught up in there.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

Yeah at this point I'm really wishing that I had bought a Crusader rather than a normal Land Raider. It's too late now. Oh well.